Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 82 Radio Wiring

Corvette(s)
    78 Pace,black 79 and white 79, all L82s
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

OK, looked at another factory radio that I have and some wiring pigtails. Looking at the back of your original FACTORY radio, you see three 4 wire plugins on the right hand side. Top plug is power, other two are speakers. Looking at the top plug, the top left wire is power, should be that yellow hot with ignition on wire. Directly below that yellow is the antenna lead(yellow?). Mike

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

ALL RIGHT!! Got it with a minor problem that can't be fixed. I called my local Chevy dealer to see if he had a manual. He didn't of course, but he had one to an 81 chevette (don't laugh) and told me they were probably quite similiar and the brown wire in the 2 wire connector (with the orange wire) was the light-switch wire I was looking for. He says the grey wire is a constant hot for the dash lights. After a little wiring and re-re-wiring, the grey wire was the wire I was looking for (YOU DA MAN, MIKE!) and the brown was a constant hot (which was hooked into the ground wire!). Once it was hooked up properly, the dashboard dimmer switch when dimmed, brightens the radio slightly and dims it slightly when you brighten the dashboard lights. It really isn't that noticeable though.

Now I ask myself where my troubleshooting went wrong, why did I have a hot wire hooked to ground. BECAUSE THE FUSE WAS BLOW AND IT DIDN'T SHOW HOT WHEN I STABBED IT. Had I found that before I started troubleshooting I would never have connected it.

2 lessons i have learned, 1) check everything applicable to your project PRIOR to tearing into it. 2) buy a GM shop manual so you don't have to guess if you're year is similiar to other years!

Thanks for everyones inputs, I appreciate it! -frank

Corvette(s)
    78 Pace,black 79 and white 79, all L82s
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

So did you even use the brown and orange wires? Just curious. Mike

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The orange one is a constant hot so I used it for primary power, that keeps the clock time. The brown one I didn't use. I capped it because it is hot most of the time, unless the tail light fuse blows and I don't want it shorting anywhere. I'm doing the brackets for the physical mounting right now. It'll be back together tonight and I'll see the dashboard lights work. I kill me!

Thanks for all your help Mike.

frank

Corvette(s)
    1982 CROSSFIRE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 82Redo
    Ok, here I am....Last night I thought everything made sense. I went out, finished wiring, and plugged in the new stereo without mounting it. I plugged in the radio and as soon as I powered it up, the power antennae came up. That's a good thing. Then I switched to CD mode and the antennae went down, probably another good thing. I did this a couple times and it worked each time. Then I tried to dim the radio with the headlight switch, nothing happened. I went to bed cause it's late. This afternoon, I go back out and tried it again, not only would the radio not dim, the antennae won't raise (can hear the relay click, but nothing moves). Hmmmm, I tried working the headlight switch to see if the dash lights would change and found out the dash lights don't work (I feel pretty stupid, I didn't check to see if they worked before I started). (I just bought the car and haven't driven it at night yet!) Checked all fuses, they're good. I realize I have the Insturment Cluster out and wonder, does that have to be plugged in for everything to work? My yellow wires are both 18 guage, but I don't think that's the problem (I stabbed them with a meter and one has power with ignition on). The only things I think it may be are the Instrument Cluster needs to be plugged in, or the yellow and grey wires are different from 1979 and 1982??? I don't really want to put in the cluster, find out things don't work, and have to remove it all again! Plus I want to tape up the new wire bundle when it all finally works (if it ever does). Does anyone know where to find a radio wiring diagram without having to pay $99 for the original shop manual?
    the brown is for the dimmer...

yellow going in is power

yellow going out is power antenna

a yellow going out is for LH rear speaker

Corvette(s)
    1982 CROSSFIRE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The orange one is a constant hot so I used it for primary power, that keeps the clock time. The brown one I didn't use. I capped it because it is hot most of the time, unless the tail light fuse blows and I don't want it shorting anywhere. I'm doing the brackets for the physical mounting right now. It'll be back together tonight and I'll see the dashboard lights work. I kill me!

frank
    orange is for constant power...memory

yellow is for radio power goes on when ignition is on

Corvette(s)
    1982 CROSSFIRE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

frank
    brown you mention goes to light switch....has something to do with the dial light. Shop manaul shows two browns. Teh other one is for the LH rear speaker.

Corvette(s)
    1982 Collector Edition
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Good for you !!

But believe me, even at 5'10" and having a CE, it aint fun snaking yourself into any area of the car.. And on the back, you better be tall to hang your body in there, and tippie toe on the ground.. Without scratching the rear deck.. It's fun with those old cars, aint it ?

-Stefan

Edit: I dont know how this one ended up above your post.. I wrote it at 4:15pm..

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That's odd, I took voltage readings off the brown wire while working the dimmer switch and the voltage stayed at 11.9 vdc. I took the same readings off the grey wire while working the dimmer switch and it varied from 0 to 11.9 vdc. I wired it and put everything back together. I'm now installing the speakers. The left front one was pretty trashed. The right front wasn't too bad. It was a pain to figure out though, the hole pattern on the new brackets weren't the same as old pattern so I had to make some adjustments. The location of the screws closest to the window weren't any fun either. At least the speaker grilles went back on, you can't tell any difference in the looks. Today is the rear speakers. Not gonna be fun though, I'm 6'3" tall and the non-special edition doesn't have an opening hatchback. Just gonna squish on in there and hope I don't have to re-engineer anything. If I think the lights are too bright at night, I may go back in and re-re-re-wire the grey to the brown. Time will tell.

Thanks!

Corvette(s)
    1982 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Actually funny to hear another tall guy (I'm 6'5") trying to get in the back of the car. Mine came with a aftermarket system but they just literally stuck the 6x9s in the rear using the magnets to hold them in place....hence the first rattling noise I discover

I found that speaker box template to be just the ticket, I'll probably build those soon.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It's odd how they did mine....and I think it's stock. The rear speaker grilles are mounted with nut plates to pieces of plastic that are screwed to the back. When it was new, I'm sure that was ok, but as the plastic gets old, it gets brittle. As I'm removing the first grille, a nutplate falls out, ok, I'll figure it out later where that goes. Later came real quick, during initial inspection I found that's where the grille screws went. Oh well, I'll fix it out. I'm just glad I didn't take it to a "professional". Either they would have been calling me every 2 minutes saying "we found another problem and it's gonna cost another $XX" or they would have just put it together with the problems and not fixed things. The more I dig into this, the better I feel that I did it myself.

Corvette(s)
    1982 Corvette Base
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

No idea if you'll see this (since it's so old) but, I just wanted to let you know that this 13+ year old post might have just solved my wiring issues too. Thanks 82Redo!
    Likes Otter liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12