$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: engine swaps

CLABORN1960

Hello all,
    I am new and looking to get a 80 or 81 vette. My question is this.... I have read that an 81 vette has computer controlled carbueration. Is it possible to put another engine in (I am thinking of having one built) without running into computer problems?

Any information or feedback will be helpful.... thanks

Steve

ssvett

Steve, As far as I know there will not be any problem with building another engine for an 81. As long as it is not built too radically for the curent 81 carburetion. I know that you can unhook all that stuff(I've seen this done, but it really looks like crap because of all the wires) It would be easier on an 80, because of the computer. I hope that somone with more 81 experiance will post. I only done this to one 81. It wasn't too hard except hiding all the extra wires.......Steve

Corvette(s)
    1981 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Steve

The computer installed on the 81 vette controls ignition timing and air-fuel mixture. It can be removed as long as you install a vacuum advance distributor and a different carburetor (non computer). A new exhaust manifolds and removal of the old wiring and plumbing will make things look better, and also removal of the "Check Engine" light bulb would be recommended.

Darrell

ssvett

Default Opps

Thanks Darrell, I thought about the light, i just forgot to post it. It is very annoying if you don't remove it.......Steve

Corvette(s)
    08 Jetstream Blue Z51 coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi Claborn1960,
    Darrell has hit it straight on. My 81 has been converted as well. No problems, no mess. All the computer hook-ups are neatly tucked into the harness at the top of the firewall. Just a thought...my 81 has headers, true dual exhaust, Accel ignition and a mild cam. I've gained maybe 60-85 horsepower. Makes it really fun to drive and didn't spend a ton of bucks.
    Dale

rmlentz

Default new engine for 81

Hello,

I am new here, and I'm sure this subject has been covered well in the past, but... I have an 81 in need of a fresh engine. Could someone point me in the right direction for information? I would like to install a crate motor, such as a ZZ4 or similar. I live in a remote area, and would like to minimize down-time. Thanks, Mike

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Welcome

rmlentz,
    Welcome to the forum. As you can see from the above posts there is a lot of interest in engine upgrades on the C3s. I think a ZZ4 would be a great choice.
    Tom
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette 1981 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 L81 automatic Frost Beige

Corvette(s)
    1979 "383" TORCH RED- 2000 Torch Red "FRC."
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

JUST A QUICK NOTE. I HAD ALSO THOUGHT ABOUT THE ZZ4 BUT IT DOES HAVE ANGLE PLUG HEADS. IN MY CASE THE USE OF THE HOOKER/SIDEPIPES WOULD NOT WORK WITH OUT CHANGING HEADS, WATERPUMP, AND CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT THE THIRD WAS.... WHAT EVER!! IF THE PIPES DON'T MATTER(HHSIDEPIPES)IT'S A GREAT CHOICE!! JCL

rmlentz

Default ZZ4 for 81

thanks tom, JCL, for your input. Looking at GM Performance Parts Catalog, looks like I will need a flywheel for 3" bolt pattern (4-speed), and just looking at stock exhaust, looks like angled plugs will be OK. Will get the engine ordered if no one has a reason why not in next couple of days. Thanks again.....Mike

Corvette(s)
    1981 UL5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default rmlentz Welcome to The Corvette Action Center

Mike,
    Glad to see you made it, hope you get the information you needed. Did I mention that well like pictures . We have a Members' Rides section to post a picture. If you need any help or have any suggestions please let us know. Enjoy the experience

BudD