$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    mainelaker

Default Weird overheat problem

I am having a weird overheat problem on my 1979 L82. When driving over 45 mph or on the highway the temp gauge will raise & overheat if the speeds are not dropped down to 20-30 mph. The car is fine around town but on long drives the temp gauge will raise, I usually pull over & let her cool down so it doesn't overheat. I have pressure tested the system & it doesn't loose pressure right away but will drop down after a while. The electric fan comes on after driving so I don't think it's that, I don't remember how to test the fan clutch so I can't say how good that is. I have changed the thermoastat so I know it's not that.

mainelaker

I did some research in the forums & think I found my problem. I ordered a new front air dam & will replace the 5 blade fan with a 7 blade.

Weird overheat problem Bob Chadwick's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2017 Arctic White Grand Sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Air dam/spoilers and tradiator seals are critical on these cars. Otherwise the air is not directed over the radiator core.

Corvette(s)
    1982 CROSSFIRE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Do you have your front spoiler on? It purpose is to direct the air up to the rad. What thermostat did you put in...160 or 180?

Jim

Corvette(s)
    1982 CROSSFIRE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Bob, beat me to it....

I never thought that spoiler played such a big roll until recently. I just had mine put on...big difference.

Jim

Corvette(s)
    1968 Convertible - Candy Apple - 427/475+
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Considering the angle/pitch of a radiator in a vette, air dams are very critical to literally force and channel air through the radiator. I switched to an electric fan that Be Cool just put on the market to maximize the air flow and maintain a specific temperature.

Corvette(s)
    1976 Red Coupe, Saint Louis C3 Shark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Here is a question that you might thnk is off topic, but is related, is your mechanical advance working properly on your HEI distributer? Mine was "stuck" in the advances position. So I set my timing (without know that) to specs. Turns out, the mech advance never advanced so at higher RPMs the timing was retarded a bit. I've read that you generate more heat when you retard timing. I just disassembled the HEI this last weekend and freed up the stuck parts and soaked in WD40. Now my mech advance is working, but I used to have same problem as you describe. I havn't interstate tested yet though. Just a thought. Does this make any sense to anyone else?

mainelaker

Yes Ruby it does make sense, the timing was off this can cause the vehicle to run hotter. I did not realize that the air dam played such a crucial role but once I started to research it, it started to make sense. I can't believe I didn't think of it before!

mainelaker

I just checked my timing & found I was at 18-20 BTDC, I adjusted it back down to spec of 12 BTDC, runs smoother & feels more responsive.

Corvette(s)
    1979 coupe,L82,4speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Gotta have the air dam!!! I just had the same problem with my 79 L-82. I replaced the missing air dam and it cools the new 406 just fine. It also seems a lot cooler in the car due to the additional air flow through the engine compartment. - Bob