Corvette(s)
    1981 UL5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Just up the Road

C3Vette Lady,

Let me get my breath, , , OK, let's see now,

1. Does the Acetone take off the Clear Coat? Yep
    I used a small medium bristle brush and a tooth brush, to work the Acetone around, then wiped it off with on old T-Shirt. Once all the Clear Coating was off then I the Mothered the he..ck out of it.

2. Specks won't come off? I might suggest try a razor blade and get as much off as possible, then try the Acetone.

3. twiget has some very GOOD suggestions for using the Acetone safely. I took the tire off and put it on my work bench. I didn't use the other stuff, I should have, but I didn't

4. The plastic sun insert. . . I had one in a 1980 that I had and it was in for almost 4 years and never had any problems with it. The one in the Rare1 has been in for 2 years. I take it out probably once every couple months to clean it and the back window. I've added a decal to the sun screen on the side that is against the window. If you do this be sure it is EXACTLY where you want it. DON'T USE ACETONE to clean it or try to take decals off... It WILL turn smokey white color in a heart beat.

If you have problems getting acetone, . , . finger nail polish remover whats too, It Has Acetone in it :

(by the way C3, I work just up the road on 101 at Palo Alto )

BudD

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default wheels

You definately want to stay away from steel wool or anything abrasive. I have seen clear coat remover in the auto parts stores by Eagle One and others. I think it is a spray on, wash off deal. Easy to use. I have never tried it though. I polished the clear off my wheels with rubbing compound. I've used it for years to clean up aluminum that's really bad. It sounds like you have no choice other than to get down to the bare aaluminum to get rid of the crud you discribed. You can alway s re-clear coat them with wheel clear coat available at the auto parts store in spray cans but like I said earlier, once they are polished they are easy to keep polished.
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette 1981 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 L81 automatic Frost Beige

Corvette(s)
    1978 L82 BLACK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default WHEELS

I own a 78 l82 I used Never Dull made by Eagle One. I purchased it at Auto Zone it worked great , I used a buffing wheel on it,than just polish them.hope this helps

Corvette(s)
    1981 White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Another tip for stripping the clear coat: use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser + Acetone. I was working my fingers to the bone trying to get the old clear coat off. I asked my wife to go to the store to get me more scrubby pads and she brought home a box of the magic erasers instead. It was absolutely amazing how fast the clear came off of the wheel. The job went from 2 hours per wheel (just to strip the clear) to 10 minutes. The only negative is that they break down fast. I used two erasers to do one wheel. That would be around $16 per full set, but the time you save is worth it.

Like the others, I used Mother's aluminum polish to shine them afterward. The wheels on my 81 look great now.

Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Ummm, the post you replied to is just under 8 years old................

Corvette(s)
    1981 White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yes, but this thread is often referenced whenever someone wants to know how to shine up the C3 wheels. That is why I posted my tip in this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12