Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1971 LS5 Convertible 4 speeds
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default First timer on the dragstrip

This was my very first time on the dragstrip, and may be the last.
    Curiosity was my motive. What can I get out of my 1971 LS5 roadster M20/3.08, stock but restored? Answer is: 14.3 sec @ 97.8 mph. I feel it is not too bad for a first timer. It looks like the weakest element is the clutch. I smelled it.
    Does anyone here have an opinion on these numbers?
    Christian

Corvette(s)
    1996 CE LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hey that's not bad for a stock Vette. I never took the '78 to the strip, but articles (from 1978) said that she should run a low 15. I guess depending on the driver (I can't imagine I'm the best racer, don't have the experience under my belt) that is pheasable (sp?).

4-speed. Good. How did you shift? Did you do power shifting? I always thought that dangerous with us Sharks because we don't have a rev limiter or anything. But I guess if you are good and quick that is the best way.

Stallion

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I believe I am rather good at shifting (I have 20 years of practice on mountain roads in Europe), but I did not do "power shifting" because I am caring a lot for this car. On the dragstrip, I was shifting at 5,400 rpm.
    Christian

Corvette(s)
    1972 Bryar Blue Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Christian, thats sounds pretty good for a stock LS-5. A lot depends on the weight of your car, (ie: A/C, P.S etc.) and tire spin which I am sure you had a plenty with a big block. I eventually had to go to drag radials to hook up. Charles

Corvette(s)
    1996 CE LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I bet if you put racing slicks on then you would maybe go under 14. Just a thought...

First timer on the dragstrip
    Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Sounds fine for your combination - the "highway" 3.08 axle is what's hurting your e.t. a little, but it lets you smile at freeway speeds.
    John
    '67 Convertible

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 72Mako
    ... A lot depends on the weight of your car, (ie: A/C, P.S etc.)
    The car is loaded indeed, with A/C, P/S, P/B...
    Christian

Corvette(s)
    1992 RED coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    This was my very first time on the dragstrip, and may be the last.
    Curiosity was my motive. What can I get out of my 1971 LS5 roadster M20/3.08, stock but restored? Answer is: 14.3 sec @ 97.8 mph. I feel it is not too bad for a first timer. It looks like the weakest element is the clutch. I smelled it.
    Does anyone here have an opinion on these numbers?

I don't know you or your car. They way I drove my 69 BB at the track was;
    Bring motor up to 2800/3200rpm, hold it there till it was time to go. Feather the clutch, slightly for a few milisecs and put it to the floor. As my shift points came up, pass them by 300/500rpm and slam into the next gear, hang on cause it's gona happen again in a sec or two. Do it again and again till you run out of gears or track. Hopefully you'll be at the end of the track and your tach will be about redline or a little more. You want some wheel spin not much.
    If your car is in good shape and you are a good driver, you should be running in at around 13.2 or so. You'll need some gearing and pratice to get there. Your mph will go way up and your et way down, with the above points.
    Michael

Corvette(s)
    1996 CE LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

"You want some wheel spin not much."

Why would you want [i]any[i] tire spin? Are you looking for absolutely no spin?

Corvette(s)
    1997 Black Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I plan on hitting the strip this summer. Should i have a full tank of gas? I know the traction Control must go off but should i keep a full tank of gas with my stock tires so that they can grip or not?

Thanks,
    -Andy

Corvette(s)
    Black '82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

atmmac:
    While I have no knowledge about 'traction control' on the newer Vettes, I'd strenuously suggest running a full tank of gas during your first trip to the strip.
    It may slow you down (a bit), but the added weight over the drive-wheels can only aid in getting maximum traction.
    Nothing will confuse and/or frustrate a beginning racer like having inconsistent times due to traction woes.
    Without traction, you'll have no 'baseline' to judge future runs against, or 'base' your tune-up on (if you plan up-grades in the future).
    The consistency you gain carrying the extra weight of the fuel will off-set the few hundredths-of-a-second you'd gain with a less-than-full tank.
    If you find your car 'hooks' on it's first test-n-tune with a full tank, try 3/4-tank the next time (and so-on...).
    Cross-Fire No'-Mo' ~ 27,900-mile 1982 Coupe :
    OEM L-83 long-block with 650 Holley double-pump carb, dual-plane intake, 1.6:1 roller-rockers & 3.73 gears

14-ohs @ 95+ MPH, best-of 13.935 @ 99.14

GONE 7 FEBRUARY 2012, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Corvette(s)
    1997 Black Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks i appreciate the help ill be sure to have my tank full!

-Andy

Corvette(s)
    1992 RED coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion
    "You want some wheel spin not much."

Why would you want [i]any[i] tire spin? Are you looking for absolutely no spin?
    You need some spin to get you going. I'm not talking funny car burnouts, just a little. Reason? don't know why it works but it has been shown many times at the track that you get lower ETs with some wheel spin.
    If any one knows why, please post.
    Michael

Corvette(s)
    Black '82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If you have a high-winding motor, with little bottom-end torque (i.e.: 283/302/327), you might want slight (VERY slight) wheel-spin on the launch, to get the motor 'up' into it's power-band sooner.
    If said motor had a 'dead-hook', it'd 'bog', and never get 'up' to it's operating range.
    On-occassion, you might see where a spinning-launch will produce a slightly slower ET, but a higher MPH for the same reason;
    as the tires spun (with the clocks running), the ET went-away, but once the tires DID hook, it was really ready to boogie-on-down (higher MPH-reading).
    Spent a cool November day at my local strip with a young C5 owner, explaining this to him & his helper/crew. As he looked-over past ET-slips, he realized that (on a given day) his quickest ETs didn't necessarily produce his highest MPH.
    example: his 60' might go-up .05, and his ET by .07, yet he'd MPH higher than on his best 60' timed-runs...'Usually', this increase is very slight; less than 1 MPH is common.
    Cross-Fire No'-Mo' ~ 27,900-mile 1982 Coupe :
    OEM L-83 long-block with 650 Holley double-pump carb, dual-plane intake, 1.6:1 roller-rockers & 3.73 gears

14-ohs @ 95+ MPH, best-of 13.935 @ 99.14

GONE 7 FEBRUARY 2012, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

atmmac -- In my trip to the drag strip (First timer) I was running a full tank and run craps. A fellow vette driver told me what he did and I ended up doing what he did. I would rev to 2000rpm then dump the clutch. I got a bit of wheel spin but not much. I was shifting at about 5500rpm on up through to 4th gear.

My best time and speed in 4 runs was 13.8 @ 104mph.
    Randy Smith, Kokomo, Indiana
    Velocity Yellow 2006 6sp, Z51

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast