• 1982 Collector - Runs rough & won't pass emissions
  • 1982 Collector - Runs rough & won't pass emissions

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    stingrayme

Default 1982 Collector - Runs rough & won't pass emissions

Help, Please!!!! I've owned this 1982 Collector's Edition for a couple years now and have yet to find a mechanic capable of getting it to run smooth enough and have enough power to get out of my own way. Right now I can't even get it to pass emissions. I gave my mechanic all new a/c delco parts for a tune-up when I bought the car and it ran even worse when I got it back. The problems are as follows:

1) High Idle (which makes it slam into gear when I put it in drive)

2) Hesitates on acceleration

3) Rough Idle

4) Pedal to the floor (buried) before it will kick down a gear if at all

5) Won't pass emissions

My mechanic says that if I drive the car more it might pass emissions. I hardly drive it now because it runs like a pig. Now, I'm fairly mechanically inclined but when it comes to the cross-fire injection, I'm of no use because it doesn't seem like there is much I can adjust. Or is there? I've heard cars with cross-fire injection have had their problems but they didn't run this bad from the factory did they? I'm ready to unload this beast.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

78SilvAnniv

Default Welcome Stingrayme!

Welcome to Corvette Action Center.
    Hang in there!

I know we have had several discussions about the crossfire engine and we also have members who absolutely love their crossfire!
    It appears that either your mechanic does not know enough about the crossfire to tune and adjust it properly or there is a more serious underlying problem.
    I am tending to lean towards the mechanic having limited crossfire experience, because I seem to recall these engines running great.

Someone will be able to advise you shortly...just keep hanging in there! Meanwhile, do a search in the C3 tech section for posts with "crossfire" in them...
    Heidi

Corvette(s)
    1980 silver with blk interior 1987 blue / blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

check the TSB's out here, i think that there was a chip change and if you didn't get that done then that might be your problem. also do a search for it. i do remember that there were a few chips left in the chev system just a mater of finding a dealer that has one or can get one.
    tom

stingrayme

Thanks for the advice. I'll look for the chip, hopefully someone still has one.

Kevin

luvmy82

Kev: Help is on the way! Check this website out, it's specifically for crossfire injection systems. Hopefully, you can find your answer there. Here's the URL: http://www.crossfire.homeip.net:/

Now, here's a great book to have for either yourself or your mechanic to refer to. Some guy is selling the Crossfire Injection manual on Ebay that was produced by GM in 1982. Because you are in such a pickle, I won't bid on it! :-)

Here's the URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1316

Lastly, find yourself a very reputable and established GM dealership that specializes in Corvettes. That is the only thing that I can tell you to do. Finding a reputable mechanic that wasn't five years old when these cars were produced is not that easy to do. Trust me, I own a CE too, and I'm VERY picky on who touches my car. Post on the forum for your area and ask for references on a good mechanic that has experience working on 1982 cross fire injection engines.

Hope this helps! Email me if there is anything else you need!

Corvette(s)
    80 Burgandy Rad.Custom & 2003 Anniversary vert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Here's another site that mite help you.
    http://www.x-ram.com/

wwilkins

Before you pay anyone to look at it make sure all the electronic sensors are plugged in and there aren't any broken wires near the sensors. Then make sure all the plug wires are routed where they should be. I have fixed a lot of computer controlled cars just by doing those things. Then you need to hook up a computer code scanner to it and any reasonably competent mechanic should be able to do that. I don't know 82 vettes but all cars work on the same principles, you just might have to help your guy find stuff on your car. Look for an ASE certified mechanic that you can trust and they should the proper scanners.

Hope this helps.

Bill

1982 Collector - Runs rough & won't pass emissions geekinavette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    84 Z51 auto R.I.P. 89 black roadster SOLD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

First of all, do check for ECM codes. Does the Check Engine light even work? (it should come on with the ignition on, engine not running, then turn off when you start it up).

High Idle - common causes are a vacuum leak (the intake manifold lid is a common area for vacuum leaks), or a bad/stuck IAC valve. You can check the IACs by plugging each IAC port on the top of the throttle body and see if the idle comes down (don't let anything get sucked in!).

Kick down - probably needs a TV cable adjustment.

If they haven't been replaced in a while, replace the O2 and coolant temp sensors (the one in the front of the intake manifold). If the CTS is original or has only a single-wire connector, then definately replace it without question. The replacement should come with a 2-wire connector.

Bill

stingrayme

Thanks all for all your advice. I will check out all of the above tips this weekend. Anything else you can think, drop me a post. Who knows, if it starts to run good enough, I just might keep it and sell the '81.

Thanks again!

Corvette(s)
    1981 Pearl White
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Originally posted by stingrayme
    I just might keep it and sell the '81.

Thanks again!
    Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the 81.

Hope you get it running. Like the others said, make sure all your wires, sensors and vacuum lines are in good shape. One bad vacuum line can make your engine run like crap.

c4ever

While you're at it check for proper EGR operation. The cross-fire is a great engine. I have over a 100K on mine without a problem. The biggest slam was they have limited upgrades available though there are many whom disagree with that statement. As others have said, get a qualified mechanic or even better get the manuals, jump in and do it yourself.

Carlo

Corvette(s)
    C3-coupe/MercedesBenz-540K replica! Racing-SB-V8!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default -hesitate to suggest the obvious, but...

-Hello KP: -having encountered the very same symptoms with my '80C3-vette when it arrived aboard Transport from Tennessee, --yes, started OK, but with excessively hi-idle speed and just enough power to barely get down the road!!! Well, I immediately slapped-in a fresh set of Autolights, readjusted the Rochester's-choke, got-in, put her in drive, mashed-down on the throttle as before, --whilst to my utter delight ----Scrreeeeeecchhhh, -she obediently laid down a right nice strip of rubber for her pleased new master (difference like night'n-day)! Sincerely hoping you may experience the same...
    ~Bob vH
    ;stupid

Corvette(s)
    1982 Vette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Mine ran terrible when I first got it & everything I did made it a little better until the new PROM.... now it's running great. First I did the obvious.... new plugs, wires, cap, coil.... the whole tune up. Had slight improvement. It also surged quite a bit at idle.... looked everywhere for a vacuum leak & finally found that the intake man. was the culprit. Again, improvement but still not quite right. Found a guy that actually knew how to balance the throttle bodies (this also will drop that high idle). To make a long story short.... I replaced the ECM (without updated PROM), IAC's, temp sensor & THIS IS IMPORTANT - I quit using high octaine gas.... this actually made the biggest noticable improvement. I now use the lowest octaine they've got. The last thing that I did was found an updated PROM for it & it's purring like new.

Here's a link to my post celebrating final success: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...937#post148937

It truly was quite an adventure trying to find someone that knew their way around the crossfire. Good luck!!

Corvette(s)
    1982 Vette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Here's another thread that might be helpful to you.... as you can see, the Corvette lovers here can be a huge help with troubleshooting. I'd been lost without their help.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...threadid=12876

stingrayme

Default PROM Chip

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the help. The new chip sounds like exactly what I need. Where can I find one? I called the local gm dealers and nobody has one. Can I use the Hypertech chip instead?

Thanks,

Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast