$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    RLP

Default Camaro to Corvette engine swap

I am buying a 80 Corvette without engine auto trans. I have access to a 79 Camaro with auto trans. Would this be an easy swap? Would most parts work? eg. water pump, pulleys, Thanks

73BB

The 79 Camaro still used the TH-350 so yes the tranny would fit right in.

If you are asking about the Camaro's engine fitting also - any chevy engine will fit, you may have to rearrange some of the bracketry but it should slide right in for the most part.

Good Luck

Corvette(s)
    1969 Killer Shark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The camaro has a "long leg" water pump I believe, and the Vette was set up as a "short leg" pump. So, other than your pulleys and brackets (ie, because of the pump distance from block), everything should bolt right up.

RLP

Do any other GM product in 350 V8 use the short leg water pump besides the Corvette? Will the frame mounts and motor mounts be differant on the Camaro? And finally will the wireing have the same plugs? Thanks for the info.

Corvette(s)
    1969 Killer Shark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Originally posted by RLP
    Do any other GM product in 350 V8 use the short leg water pump besides the Corvette? Will the frame mounts and motor mounts be differant on the Camaro? And finally will the wireing have the same plugs? Thanks for the info.
    Some of the old Camaros had short pumps.

The wiring should pretty much be the same, and pretty basic. However, the Corvette may have gauges the camaro didn't, so you may need to buy all the engine sendor units for the correct model Corvette and install them in the Camaro engine first. The distributor, starter, altenator will be the same.

The blocks are pretty much exactly the same in terms of the engine mounts, trans mounts, exhaust mounts, etc.

You are only going to struggle with the accessory brackets. That is, getting a complete Corvette lower pulley, water pump, a/c, power steering, and alternator bracket.

RLP

The Corvette comes with exhaust manifolds some of the brackets. I am going to go ahead with the swap and get the thing running and iron out any other problems from setting up for five years. The brakes need attention the pedal goes to the floor. I dont have any body or interior work to deal with. I will let you know how it is coming along.
    Thanks for the help.