$projecthp
  • I Officially Started My Project This Morning
  • I Officially Started My Project This Morning
  • I Officially Started My Project This Morning
  • I Officially Started My Project This Morning

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 111
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yemen
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default I Officially Started My Project This Morning

    I am about one minute away from having my engine pulled out. Everything has been disconnected, the car is back on the ground, the chain hoist is attached, and after I rest for an hour I'll pull it out. By late this afternoon I should have the engine torn down (but with the crank still in it) and I'll be able to see what's going on with the oil rings. It has used a LOT of oil ever since I put it together last summer and I want to know why.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Columbus, NC/NE Georgia
    Posts
    2,293
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
    It has used a LOT of oil ever since I put it together last summer and I want to know why.
    Methinks the Bon Ami cleanser..





    .
    Whoosh, and blur

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yemen
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default #5 Rod Bearing Had Spun

    I got my short block completely stripped and found the #5 rod bearing had spun. I find that really odd because it didn't make any noise and I had full oil pressure. The tangs had flattened so the bearing was spinning in the connecting rod bore. The rod journal is damaged and the main journals are scratched so I'll have to get my crank turned .020"/.020" and get my #5 connecting rod resized. My timing chain had stretched but as it has around 100,000 miles on it that is to be expected. All 8 cylinders honed nicely. I'm going to order a high-volume pump just for the piece-of-mind. I'll take my crankshaft to the machine shop tomorrow morning then dive into my cylinder heads when I get back.

    My oil rings had completely seated so I'm still convinced the rings have expanders that are way too weak to control oil. As the cylinder bores are in excellent condition and my valve guides are good and with new Perfect Circle Teflon seals the only possibility for the high oil consumption is the oil rings. As the rings came un-boxed and wrapped in a "oiled paper" I suspect they were made in China. So hopefully these new Mahle moly rings will work better.

    It's been a full day so I'm turning in early.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    936
    Corvette(s)
    1981 4 speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
    As the rings came un-boxed and wrapped in a "oiled paper" I suspect they were made in China.
    I'm still not convinced they were cheap Chinese rings. After all, your only evidence is a lack of evidence.
    Likes bill81vette, kpic, LLC5 liked this post

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Columbus, NC/NE Georgia
    Posts
    2,293
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antz81 View Post
    I'm still not convinced they were cheap Chinese rings. After all, your only evidence is a lack of evidence.
    Probably, the same as cylinder heads, TBTR has rebuilt more engines than we've seen.
    Whoosh, and blur

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yemen
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antz81 View Post
    I'm still not convinced they were cheap Chinese rings. After all, your only evidence is a lack of evidence.

    No, there is plenty of evidence. All 8 of the pistons have a thick layer of carbon on their tops which indicates oil burning in all 8 cylinders. There is very little buildup of burned oil on the undersides of the intake valves which indicates the seals are working good. That leaves only the oil ring expanders as the cause. As I pulled the pistons out I observed the oil ring gaps and found all 8 were around .150" which indicates not much pressure being exerted by the expanders. Remember the Bon Ami was only used after this engine had over 40,000 miles on it to see if it would reduce the oil consumption. It did but not nearly enough to make a huge difference. I have seen the result of weak or wrong oil ring expanders in the past and that is ALL of the cylinders are affected.

    I'll take my crank to the machine shop first thing this morning then dive into my cylinder heads when I get back. The weather is absolutely ideal for this kind of work and I want to get it done before winter sets in.

  7. #7
    Member LLC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wa.
    Posts
    2,275
    Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
    I got my short block completely stripped and found the #5 rod bearing had spun. I find that really odd because it didn't make any noise and I had full oil pressure. The tangs had flattened so the bearing was spinning in the connecting rod bore. The rod journal is damaged and the main journals are scratched so I'll have to get my crank turned .020"/.020" and get my #5 connecting rod resized. My timing chain had stretched but as it has around 100,000 miles on it that is to be expected. All 8 cylinders honed nicely. I'm going to order a high-volume pump just for the piece-of-mind. I'll take my crankshaft to the machine shop tomorrow morning then dive into my cylinder heads when I get back.

    My oil rings had completely seated so I'm still convinced the rings have expanders that are way too weak to control oil. As the cylinder bores are in excellent condition and my valve guides are good and with new Perfect Circle Teflon seals the only possibility for the high oil consumption is the oil rings. As the rings came un-boxed and wrapped in a "oiled paper" I suspect they were made in China. So hopefully these new Mahle moly rings will work better.

    It's been a full day so I'm turning in early.

    Dude you need to find a different engine builder.

    That is way too many problems to have in one engine.
    Master Technician

    25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

    22+ year Honda Master Tech
    Likes Antz81 liked this post

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Columbus, NC/NE Georgia
    Posts
    2,293
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Dude you need to find a different engine builder.

    That is way too many problems to have in one engine.
    That was my exact thought also. The only good news, he didn't pay for the work...

    Way. way too many problems to have in a supposedly rebuilt engine.

    TBTR, your post said the engine has a lot of "issues." As you did the work; what can we say....
    Whoosh, and blur

  9. #9
    Member LLC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wa.
    Posts
    2,275
    Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kpic View Post
    That was my exact thought also. The only good news, he didn't pay for the work...

    Way. way too many problems to have in a supposedly rebuilt engine.

    TBTR, your post said the engine has a lot of "issues." As you did the work; what can we say....



    I would say it this way: His Junkyard mentality finally caught up with him.
    Master Technician

    25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

    22+ year Honda Master Tech
    Likes bill81vette liked this post

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yemen
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default New Valve Guides Coming

    My valve guides had been knurled and then worn about .002" so I pounded them out and ordered new ones from Summit Racing. As I'm going thru all the trouble and expense to install larger valves there's no sense in using worn guides. This project will end up costing me close to $2000 but I feel it's worth it (or at least I keep telling myself that). When I order parts from Summit Racing I usually receive them the next morning because they have a warehouse in Sparks Nevada,

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Columbus, NC/NE Georgia
    Posts
    2,293
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    I would say it this way: His Junkyard mentality finally caught up with him.
    As it's the first time I've ever heard of refacing new valves; I see your point..
    Whoosh, and blur

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yemen
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default A Week To Ten Days

    The crankshaft grinder told me he's running a week to ten days behind so I won't be able to assemble my short block for a week or more. In the meantime I pounded the valve guides out of my heads and ordered new ones from Summit Racing. With luck they'll arrive this morning so I can begin my valve seat grinding. I spent an hour yesterday scrubbing the exterior of my engine block in preparation for painting but before I paint it I'll wash the inside out with gasoline then blow dry it. I also ordered a valve guide seal cutter so I can shorten and cut the tops to a .530" O.D. for the PC Teflon seals that will also arrive this morning.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yemen
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Made Some Progress

    My new valve guides didn't show up today but my new high volume oil pump showed up. I got my old pick up pushed into my new pump with red LocTite on it to prevent it from vibrating out. I also got my block painted and my new polyurethane engine mounts installed. Note the difference in the height of the gears in the high volume oil pump to the OEM height gears; a .250" difference in height. Then I spent the rest of the day cleaning parts and getting things organized. My new valve guides should arrive tomorrow and that's when the fun will begin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971-corvette-standard-oil-pump-vs-high-volume-pump-jpg   1971-corvette-engine-jpg  
    Likes Mac liked this post

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yemen
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Exhaust Guides Only

    Only my exhaust guides got delivered this morning because the intake guides are coming from Ohio. I got 4 of them installed then decided to take off for lunch. After I get the other 4 installed I can start in on the valve seat enlargement and that's when the REAL fun will start. I was doing some port grinding earlier this morning and my compressor's output suddenly slowed WAY down. I took the cylinder head off and found one of the .010" thick intake reed valves had broken and the pieces scored the cylinder. As I have some .005" stainless steel I made two reed valves and got them installed hoping the twin .005" reeds will flex easier. Other than the damaged cylinder bore it at least works again. I really need a larger 2-stage compressor for the work I do because I'm killing these little twin cylinder Harbor Freight compressors that are made for 2-3 hp electric motors. I'm spinning it at 1-1/2 times it's rated speed with a 6 hp gasoline engine so that's why the reed valves fail. Plus my governor is set to 150 psi which is 30 psi over the compressor's maximum limit.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Columbus, NC/NE Georgia
    Posts
    2,293
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
    I'm spinning it at 1-1/2 times it's rated speed with a 6 hp gasoline engine so that's why the reed valves fail. Plus my governor is set to 150 psi which is 30 psi over the compressor's maximum limit.
    As usual, you sir, are really scary.
    Whoosh, and blur
    Likes bill81vette liked this post

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New project.......just started....
    By firstgear in forum C1 & C2 General and Technical Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-06-09, 09:32 PM
  2. My transmission is officially dead
    By tntcorvette in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-12-05, 01:14 AM
  3. Officially: My Car is Now a Senior Citizen
    By JonM in forum C4 General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-09-05, 08:36 AM
  4. My project has started. (Pic's)
    By tooez in forum C4 General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-05, 07:30 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •