$projecthp
  • I Officially Started My Project This Morning
  • I Officially Started My Project This Morning
  • I Officially Started My Project This Morning
  • I Officially Started My Project This Morning

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 111
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Columbus, NC/NE Georgia
    Posts
    2,293
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    LLC5,
    I believe it depends on location. Here UPS is quick. When I lived in "down east" NC, it was terrible. Out for delivery went on for days.
    I'm buying consumer goods so fast isn't as important to me as others. That said, I'm buying from Amazon. Bought her a Food Saver vacuum sealer and it was here in 3 days.

    Antz81,
    I listen to shortwave radio. I bought a Tecsun PL-880 direct from China. They use FedEx and shipping time was very fast.

    TBTR:
    You aren't using your valve re-surfacing machine; how come?
    Whoosh, and blur

  2. #32
    Member LLC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wa.
    Posts
    2,299
    Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kpic View Post
    LLC5,
    I believe it depends on location. Here UPS is quick. When I lived in "down east" NC, it was terrible. Out for delivery went on for days.
    I'm buying consumer goods so fast isn't as important to me as others. That said, I'm buying from Amazon. Bought her a Food Saver vacuum sealer and it was here in 3 days.

    Antz81,
    I listen to shortwave radio. I bought a Tecsun PL-880 direct from China. They use FedEx and shipping time was very fast.

    TBTR:
    You aren't using your valve re-surfacing machine; how come?


    UPS is quick where I live too, it's the USPS that isn't and it sucks.

    I love it how I cannot go get a package after 11:00 - 12:00 pm from the USPS on Saturday, BUT I get to see their USPS trucks running around my neighborhood on Sundays delivering Amazon mail. I gotta admit that I do I like Amazon's same day delivery service though.
    Master Technician

    25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

    22+ year Honda Master Tech

  3. #33
    I Officially Started My Project This Morning 82ColEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Posts
    1,766
    Corvette(s)
    1982 Collector Edition
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    For us Numpties outside the USofA, usually USPS is the cheaper option then UPS/FEDEX/DHL to get stuff from the US to 'over there'..

    Agreed, when i lived inside the country, UPS/FEDEX/DHL is a good option and USPS was mostly errr poooh.


    Stefan
    Last edited by 82ColEd; 10-12-16 at 02:32 AM.
    Corvettes Anonymous Charter Member #

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yemen
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Talk About Cutting It Close

    I blasted into my intake valve seats first thing this morning and managed to get the last one ground.................and then my diamond took a crap. Yep, I wore it the rest of the way out. So I just ordered two new ones from India for only $43 (that is cheap). I also managed to get the valve pockets hogged out with my carbide cutter so all of the machine work is done. I just need to make a final check of the valve guide lengths to make sure the retainers don't collide with the Teflon valve stem seals at full lift. After I eat lunch I'll continue with smoothing the grinding marks with a stone and Dremel and lap all of the valves to their seats. Things are progressing nicely. With luck my crankshaft will be done by tomorrow afternoon so I can assemble the short block tomorrow.

    I'll post the pictures maybe tomorrow.

  5. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Columbus, NC/NE Georgia
    Posts
    2,293
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    UPS is quick where I live too, it's the USPS that isn't and it sucks.

    I love it how I cannot go get a package after 11:00 - 12:00 pm from the USPS on Saturday, BUT I get to see their USPS trucks running around my neighborhood on Sundays delivering Amazon mail. I gotta admit that I do I like Amazon's same day delivery service though.


    I try to avoid USPS whenever possible. At the local PO. the sign on the door states closed at 5pm. So why was the door locked at 4:20?
    So very true, the only time I've ever seen a USPS jeep{?) on Sunday was delivering from Amazon.

    I like Amazon because I can buy what I can't get locally.

    TBTR
    Cheap tools break.

    To be honest, I can't wait to see pictures of your latest.

    Whoosh, and blur

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yemen
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Tell Me It's Not True

    When I was hogging out the intake valve pocket of cylinder #6 my carbide burr broke thru the wall in two places. The wall appears to be pretty solid above, below, and to the sides of the holes so it may be a casting flaw that can be plugged with epoxy. I'll know more tomorrow morning when I do some additional grinding in the holes. I'm fortunate it's in the intake pocket where the temperature is a lot cooler.

  7. #37
    Member LLC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wa.
    Posts
    2,299
    Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
    When I was hogging out the intake valve pocket of cylinder #6 my carbide burr broke thru the wall in two places. The wall appears to be pretty solid above, below, and to the sides of the holes so it may be a casting flaw that can be plugged with epoxy. I'll know more tomorrow morning when I do some additional grinding in the holes. I'm fortunate it's in the intake pocket where the temperature is a lot cooler.


    Yeah, it's a casting flaw. It's not you not knowing what you are doing.

    Ignorance is bliss.
    Master Technician

    25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

    22+ year Honda Master Tech
    Likes bill81vette liked this post

  8. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Columbus, NC/NE Georgia
    Posts
    2,293
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    TBTR
    What is the passage for air, oil or water?
    Whoosh, and blur

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yemen
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Casting Flaws

    I took a little pin punch and a small ball peen hammer and "pecked" all around and inside the two holes and the metal "rings" like a bell; indicating the metal surrounding the holes is solid. Then I filled the holes with gasoline and it didn't leak thru which indicates the holes have a bottom. I'm going to sandblast the holes and fill them with epoxy. My #7 cylinder also has about a dozen tiny pock marks because of casting flaws but yet this block has at least 200,000+ miles on it with no issues.

    I'm hoping my new Harbor Freight air compressor pump arrives today because I really need compressed air for the work I'm doing.

  10. #40
    Member LLC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wa.
    Posts
    2,299
    Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
    I took a little pin punch and a small ball peen hammer and "pecked" all around and inside the two holes and the metal "rings" like a bell; indicating the metal surrounding the holes is solid. Then I filled the holes with gasoline and it didn't leak thru which indicates the holes have a bottom. I'm going to sandblast the holes and fill them with epoxy. My #7 cylinder also has about a dozen tiny pock marks because of casting flaws but yet this block has at least 200,000+ miles on it with no issues.

    I'm hoping my new Harbor Freight air compressor pump arrives today because I really need compressed air for the work I'm doing.


    The flaws in your engine are not your major issues here.....
    Master Technician

    25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

    22+ year Honda Master Tech
    Likes bill81vette liked this post

  11. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Columbus, NC/NE Georgia
    Posts
    2,293
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    The flaws in your engine are not your major issues here.....

    TBTR has made that painfully obvious..
    Whoosh, and blur

  12. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yemen
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Air Compressor Pump JUST Shipped?

    I ordered my Harbor Freight air compressor pump on October 7th and it JUST shipped this morning. I have had very good luck ordering Harbor Freight tools in the past and they always shipped from this state but for some reason this air compressor pump is shipping from South Carolina via Fed Ex. But yet I was charged sales tax which made me assume it was shipping from California.

  13. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Columbus, NC/NE Georgia
    Posts
    2,293
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
    But yet I was charged sales tax which made me assume it was shipping from California.
    Charging sales tax for the state you reside in is what they usually do.
    Whoosh, and blur
    Likes Antz81 liked this post

  14. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    936
    Corvette(s)
    1981 4 speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kpic View Post
    Charging sales tax for the state you reside in is what they usually do.
    Never lived in the states and even I knew that one
    Likes kpic liked this post

  15. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Columbus, NC/NE Georgia
    Posts
    2,293
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antz81 View Post
    Never lived in the states and even I knew that one

    I've always wondered when a company in another state charges me sales tax; do they send it to my state or pocket it?
    Whoosh, and blur

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New project.......just started....
    By firstgear in forum C1 & C2 General and Technical Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-06-09, 10:32 PM
  2. My transmission is officially dead
    By tntcorvette in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-12-05, 02:14 AM
  3. Officially: My Car is Now a Senior Citizen
    By JonM in forum C4 General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-09-05, 09:36 AM
  4. My project has started. (Pic's)
    By tooez in forum C4 General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-05, 08:30 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •