$projecthp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 82 vette HP upgrade

I have a completely bone stock 82 crossfire with 30K on it. I am looking to eventually pull the motor and replace with a crate motor with about 375 hp. I have heard that the rear end will not hold up, is this correct and are there any suggestion on what can be done to handle the HP?
    Thanks

Corvette(s)
    1992 Black Rose ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Dlaurino View Post
    I have a completely bone stock 82 crossfire with 30K on it. I am looking to eventually pull the motor and replace with a crate motor with about 375 hp. I have heard that the rear end will not hold up, is this correct and are there any suggestion on what can be done to handle the HP?
    Thanks
    If you're going to replace it, then do an LSx motor. Upgrade rear end to D44. Having said that, maybe you might want to think about ditching the 82 and buying a C4 ZR-1. You can buy one for just about what the conversion would cost along w the effort. Drive one, you'll buy it.
    Thanks Dlaurino thanked for this post

Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by xfirez51 View Post
    If you're going to replace it, then do an LSx motor. Upgrade rear end to D44. Having said that, maybe you might want to think about ditching the 82 and buying a C4 ZR-1. You can buy one for just about what the conversion would cost along w the effort. Drive one, you'll buy it.
    Agreed- LSx is the easiest way to go if someone wants 375hp or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlaurino
    Thanks
    Dlaurino- WELCOME TO THE CAC!!

There are other SBC crate motors. The ZZ4 has been discontinued- and that was 355hp. Now there is a ZZ5- and it is around $6k and has about 45 more ponies. It's also turn key- but a steep initial investment.

So like Xfire51 said, for the cost... an LSX is hard to beat.

A basic crate motor won't be exactly plug n' play unless it is turn key and includes a distributor and carb.

Sure- a basic crate motor might bolt up, but the stock crossfire won't be up to the demands of a 375hp motor. Xfire51 had a really nice, modified '84 that he raced and it was quite the performer from the videos I have seen. I can't begin to estimate what he tied up in it in terms of dollars- but that said, he knows what he's talking about when it comes to what he spent versus the LSx swap.

Back to your '82... on top of the fuel delivery needs... the rear end, transmission, suspension, and tires would all need to be looked at- and then upgraded to handle that kind of power. Shift points, clutches, converter & stall, etc... would all need to be addressed. And that's just the transmission. 15x8 tires will likely spin pretty easy with that kind of power- so wider tires would need to be considered too.

Now... 375hp can be done... just depends on how much you are comfortable with spending.

If I may ask, are you planning on driving it and want more power or do you intend to drag it?
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    Crossfire Injection | .496"/.495" Cam | AFR Eliminator Heads | EBL | 3.73
    0-60mph in four and a half seconds

1995 Trans Am
    1 of 1 Trans Am | 100% documented | RPOs 48U, MN6, and GU6
    Thanks Dlaurino thanked for this post
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 2k RPM Stall Converter + Updgraded Transmission + Governor Set For 5,450rpm Shifts 3.73 Code 42 Dark Mettalic Blue with a twist

Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

BTW... gears would also be a good add for a stockish '82 if you wanted to leave the engine as-is. Mid America offers rear ends with either 3.73s or 3.55s for the 80-82 Vettes. They run about $1k, but it's far less than going into the motor.
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 2k RPM Stall Converter + Updgraded Transmission + Governor Set For 5,450rpm Shifts 3.73 Code 42 Dark Mettalic Blue with a twist

Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Welcome to CAC!

If you're going naturally aspirated, a higher numeric ratio rear axle will be required. A camshaft will specify a power band; to get to it quickly, changing rear gears is required. In the 1990s, I had a rip picking on people with nothing more than a Hypertech chip, a 350 + a 5 speed and a 3.73 rear. As time, sweat and funds permitted; it evolved into a lot more.

Kane,
    Agreed and IMO, there is nothing quite like LSx for making power while maintaining fuel economy.
    Whoosh, and blur

Corvette(s)
    1981 dark blue metallic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Welcome to CAC!!!
    enjoy!!!
    Bill and Gail...save the wave
    NCRS member 42415
    1981 St.Louis car #2735
    all matching numbers

born Sept 18,1980
    Cruisefest 2008
    Cruisefestous 2009
    Cruisefest 2010
    Cruisefest 2011
    Cruisefest2012

Without Trucks......
    You would be Hungry,Homeless and Naked!!!!!!