$projecthp
  • 0-9895 Holley Carburetor installed BUT..........

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    1979 L-48 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 0-9895 Holley Carburetor installed BUT..........

I have this 0-9895 Holley carburetor installed and it fits perfectly on the Performer Intake manifold. Three minor issues though and I hope you can help with some suggestions.

1. The brake booster connection to the rear of this carburetor does not fit. The connection is too large. The hole is smaller compared to the QJet. Where do you recommend finding a connector and does it matter if it is brass?
    2. Obviously, the fuel line will have to be custom made if you want it all steel. I'm working on that now with a vendor.
    3. The OEM clean air intake assembly does not fit on top of this carburetor. The fuel vapor canister vent tube is obstructing the clean air intake assembly from proper fitment. Any suggestions on a new air intake or making the OEM one work?

Jeff

JEFF

Corvette(s)
    72 454 convertible, 2000 C5 Z51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

the LT1 drop base air cleaner is what i had to go to with when i put on a holley.
    as far as the brake booster. i had to remove the oem metal one and just use a rubber hose.

Corvette(s)
    1979 L-48 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by baxsom View Post
    the LT1 drop base air cleaner is what i had to go to with when i put on a holley.
    as far as the brake booster. i had to remove the oem metal one and just use a rubber hose.
    Here is my problem. This vent tube is in the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010-12-26_12-17-41_658_edit0-jpg  

JEFF

Corvette(s)
    1970 Marboro Maroon Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The LT-1 drop base air cleaner is not going to clear that vent tube either. I've never seen a Holley with a vent tube there.

Corvette(s)
    69 L68 Vert, 72 LS-5 Cpe, 72 LT-1 Air 'Vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I don't think I've seen a Q-jet with a vent there either. Depending on the degree of heartburn, can you modify your existing lower air cleaner housing with a ball peen hammer to get the clearance you need? If not, you will need to look at an aftermarket air clearer. Might be the time to ask Holley what they recommend for a air cleaner.

Corvette(s)
    71 War Bonnet Yellow VERT 71 BH Blue CPE (SOLD)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

A Rochester Quadrajet will fit that Performer intake manifold just as nicely ... and fit OE air cleaner & OE fuel line & OE booster etc etc.

Perhaps return the Holley ? ... exchange for a decent JET Performance brand rebuilt QJet for same $ ?

If you still have car's OE QJet, there're quality rebuilders who'll do it nice for $ less.

Corvette(s)
    1979 L-48 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by SVO View Post
    I don't think I've seen a Q-jet with a vent there either. Depending on the degree of heartburn, can you modify your existing lower air cleaner housing with a ball peen hammer to get the clearance you need? If not, you will need to look at an aftermarket air clearer. Might be the time to ask Holley what they recommend for a air cleaner.
    It's not a QJet, it's a Holley.

JEFF

Corvette(s)
    1979 L-48 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    A Rochester Quadrajet will fit that Performer intake manifold just as nicely ... and fit OE air cleaner & OE fuel line & OE booster etc etc.

Perhaps return the Holley ? ... exchange for a decent JET Performance brand rebuilt QJet for same $ ?

If you still have car's OE QJet, there're quality rebuilders who'll do it nice for $ less.
    I've been through two QJet rebuilds. I'm moving on hoping for a better outcome. All issues have been resolved with brake booster line, fuel line, and clean air intake. Just finishing up with some other minor issues before starting.

JEFF

Corvette(s)
    69 L68 Vert, 72 LS-5 Cpe, 72 LT-1 Air 'Vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Vette79 View Post
    It's not a QJet, it's a Holley.
    Understand that. My point, which you missed, is the OEM air cleaner won't fit the Holley due to the Q-jet not having a similar vent on top of it. Therefore, the OEM air cleaner isn't clearance to fit over the offending vent line. Hence my suggestion of using a hammer to "modify" the air clearer base to make it fit.
    Roll the good times, cuz once you're dead, you're done.

NCRS Member 1071

Corvette(s)
    1971 Red Conv (orig), 1972 Coupe (autocross car)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I've been through two QJet rebuilds. I'm moving on hoping for a better outcome. All issues have been resolved with brake booster line, fuel line, and clean air intake. Just finishing up with some other minor issues before starting.
    The first thing I did when I bought a car with a Q-jet was to pitch it and put on a Holley. That process started in 1969 and continued for a lot of years. I lost count of the number of Holleys I rebuilt thru those years.

But, thankfully I saved a few of those Q-jets 'cause when I decided to get into autocross racing in 1992 with the NCCC, I found myself in a situation where I had to run a Q-jet. I found out that someone who understands these carbs can do miracles with them.

So, I have to agree with Jack - and SVO. Either beat the crap out of the OEM aircleaner and hope for the best or or as Jack recommended, get a properly prepped Q-jet. Which, btw, will probably give you better performance and a lot better fuel economy for street use.

If you're running a hot cam, good heads, headers, a stiff gear and pure horsepower is all you're interested in, then Holley's the way to go (but not the one you purchased). For a near stock street car, stick with the Q-jet.

Corvette(s)
    2008 Crystal Red Tint Coat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have this 0-9895 Holley carburetor installed and it fits perfectly on the Performer Intake manifold. Three minor issues though and I hope you can help with some suggestions.

1. The brake booster connection to the rear of this carburetor does not fit. The connection is too large. The hole is smaller compared to the QJet. Where do you recommend finding a connector and does it matter if it is brass?
    2. Obviously, the fuel line will have to be custom made if you want it all steel. I'm working on that now with a vendor.
    3. The OEM clean air intake assembly does not fit on top of this carburetor. The fuel vapor canister vent tube is obstructing the clean air intake assembly from proper fitment. Any suggestions on a new air intake or making the OEM one work?

Jeff
    if the air cleaner will clear without the front bowl vent tube pull it out and plug the hole.it is there for emmission venting
    retired race engine builder,former NASCAR tech inspector,corvette owner since 1959, new corvettes owned,59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99,02,05, 2008 is in my garage, 2008 sold and waiting for my C-7

Corvette(s)
    1979 L-48 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The Holley is installed without modifying anything. I'd rather complete a project without destroying anything if possible. Some customization was needed for Valve Covers, a specific air cleaner was needed in order to utilize the vapor vent tube, and a custom steel fuel line installed. Overall I'm happy with the turn out. Performance is good and the engine bay looks nice. Tuning is so much easier and I like the initial TQ. The pics are a little blurry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-02-19_15-06-05_188-jpg   2011-02-19_15-04-19_487-jpg  

JEFF

Corvette(s)
    1971 Sunflower Yellow Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 0-9895 Air Cleaner Base

The Holley is installed without modifying anything. I'd rather complete a project without destroying anything if possible. Some customization was needed for Valve Covers, a specific air cleaner was needed in order to utilize the vapor vent tube, and a custom steel fuel line installed. Overall I'm happy with the turn out. Performance is good and the engine bay looks nice. Tuning is so much easier and I like the initial TQ. The pics are a little blurry.

I'm considering running a 0-9895 Holley and was curious what air cleaner base you used to fit over the vacuum diaphragm and the vapor vent tube.
    I have been through two rebuilt Q-jets, neither one was any good so I'm thinking the "new" Holley will work

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That's a clean looking installation. Where does the carb vent tube go to?

Tom
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette 1981 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 L81 automatic Frost Beige