• Show Ready: Tips and Tricks needed

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Show Ready: Tips and Tricks needed

I'm really not planning to go to the extremes that would be needed to get my C3 Show Ready as some I have seen. Very Very Nice. The car is a Survivor in pretty good shape. My main problem appearance wise is under the hood. Of course I have degreased all but that is pretty much all up to now. I am not willing to pull the engine at this time to do the job the way it should be done.
    It just looks a little dull and I need to some tips on how to light it up and look better. Any type of product or procedure anyone could recommend??? Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

A light misting of Armor All can produce the results you are looking for. Let it dry and wipe off any excess that may have collected in certain spots. Car dealers do this all the time. Don't spray it on your belts, alternator,etc. Be careful not to overspray. Take your time and be smart about the areas you coat.
    1980 Frost Beige L82
    Doeskin Interior

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks,
    I've thought about Armor All but haven't went there yet.
    I have the Doeskin interior also. But neither my wife are I was crazy about the steering wheel, light color looking at you. So I ordered a reproduction Black wheel from Mid America and we think it looks great. It really goes well with all of the other black on the inside of the car. I carefully have the original packed away.
    Lator

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Nice.
    I did a steering wheel change on mine last winter. I replaced the original with another Doeskin from Chuck Pelton LLC up in Michigan. The original went back as a Core exchange. The original wheel had some wear and fade from age and skin oils. I also replaced my horn button guts with a kit from Corvette America. The old horn button was sounding the horn at will every once in a while. Kinda embarrasing. BTW, while you are spending some time cleaning up under the hood, give the wiper bay some consideration. I used a Black Reconditioning paint in my wiper bay area that I bought from Mid-America. It cleaned up this area real nice. Part # 100-731, made by Duplicolor, $9.99 for a 12 oz. can. It looks sweet, better than factory.

Happy detailing !

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

On my black wheel replacement, I forgot to mention I also went with a black horn button and a black lock ring. Two pieces. It wouldn't have looked right if I had left them doeskin. Thanks for the tip of the Black Reconditioning paint. I was thinking about buying the wiper bay cover you see on the sites. I may try dressing it up with the paint first and see how it looks.
    Thanks Again,

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Krylon Semi-flat black does a good job in underhood area. Also matches the interior black parts.
    Save the wave

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
    Krylon Semi-flat black does a good job in underhood area. Also matches the interior black parts.
    Mostly on the fender well?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 401KVet View Post
    On my black wheel replacement, I forgot to mention I also went with a black horn button and a black lock ring. Two pieces. It wouldn't have looked right if I had left them doeskin. Thanks for the tip of the Black Reconditioning paint. I was thinking about buying the wiper bay cover you see on the sites. I may try dressing it up with the paint first and see how it looks.
    Thanks Again,
    I bought a BOSS Carbon fibre wheel for my '74 (mainly so I could get my legs under it). I didn't like the horn button (the word BOSS in large red letters-too many remarks from Ford freaks,I guess) So I purchased a
    1974 Silver Dollar and used that instead, yes It cost alot more than 1 dollar but it looks neat and adds at least
    1 dollar to the value of my car

Gav

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Mostly on the fender well?????
    Actually about any black surface under the hood. Might not be NCRS but looks about like the OEM finish and is easy.
    Save the wave

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Forget Armor All. On all plastic and rubber parts use Adams In and Out. Where I live it is only available online. Great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by JimVette View Post
    Forget Armor All. On all plastic and rubber parts use Adams In and Out. Where I live it is only available online. Great stuff.
    Jim, never heard of it, but I will google it and check it out.
    Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Jim, never heard of it, but I will google it and check it out.
    Thanks,
    I never heard of it either. Why would you say it is better than Armor All? Not trying to defend Armor All, I am always looking for better products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by fm1 View Post
    I never heard of it either. Why would you say it is better than Armor All? Not trying to defend Armor All, I am always looking for better products.
    You know, thinking about it I bet the spray Tire Foam/Tire Shine that I use sometimes would problay work well in some areas under the hood.
    Whata ya think??

Towu4free

You know, thinking about it I bet the spray Tire Foam/Tire Shine that I use sometimes would problay work well in some areas under the hood.
    Whata ya think??
    to answer your question about that
    Armor All is a water based interior dressing, tireshine is silicone solvent based..at the detail shop we normally spray a water based product like Armor All under the hood like he said and let it dry and wipe any excess residue off this works wonders! makes old black paint look new too! as far as the tireshine goes. ive used that also for a mor glassy shine in certain areas the thing about using a water based dressing is when you want you can rinse it off a few times and its gone... with a silicone base you have to use some elbow grease so my verdict....i use a water based interior dressing such as Armor All under the hood of all my vehicles! hope this helps ya out! and be sure to spray your inner fenderwells with Tireshine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Adam's Polishes

Found their website, I will check it out more thoroughly later. Looks very similar to the Groits product line.

Towu4free - Thanks for the info , I can always tell a fellow detail nut when the inner fenderwells are shining !
    1980 Frost Beige L82
    Doeskin Interior

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast