• Want To replace carb, what size should i replace it with?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1975 Red Corvette Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

So from what Ive heard my carb is just fine. Maybe I need to tune it up. Oh and by the way, I was only putting a 600 cfm on it because I thought it was stock that way. I just rebuilt the carb and it works just needs to be tuned. anyone know where I can find the specs?
    Thanks

Corvette(s)
    1995 Dark Red 6spd Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

" The Edelbrock AFB "clone" is a poor choice because of it's float chamber design is not good on cars which get driven hard under braking. That's one reason GM discontinued using AFBs on Corvette in the mid-60s."

I just had to jump in here ....

I had an Edelbrock performer carb on a decently modified Rustang and during very heavy braking or in a very hard turn (SCCA autocrossing) the car would cut out. Edelbrock even has a mod to try and resolve the issue if you call the help line. It helped but did not cure the issue.

Otherwise the carb worked really well but I did have to buy the kit to tune it. Out of about 10 installs I've seen only 2 work correctly out of the box.

As for the Holley, I've seen more than one dirt track car go up in flames due to a cracked base, leaking bowl, a loose or missing float level screw, and a bad gasket after a rebuild.They work well just be careful if you like to tweak on it.

Want To replace carb, what size should i replace it with? Copdogcorvettes's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    78 Restro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well, Just my .02 worth. I've been running Holley carbs for over 40 years on Fords & Chevys. Street cars, off-road 4X4s, Sand Draggers and so on. I've never had any major problems with them. I've done complete overhuals at the track in less than hour.

So, it is just what you are use to. Don't get me wrong a good working well tuned Qjet is a very good carb.

Gary

SAVE the WAVE

Corvette(s)
    72 454 convertible, 2000 C5 Z51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Copdogcorvettes View Post
    . Don't get me wrong a good working well tuned Qjet is a very good carb.

Gary
    the problem is trying to find someone that can tune that qjet to your car.

Corvette(s)
    75 Coupe ZZ4, Brodix IK-180's, Headers,TK0-500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by baxsom View Post
    the problem is trying to find someone that can tune that qjet to your car.
    Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets :: Qjet Carburetor Rebuilding, Bushing Kits and Parts

You can buy this guys book and tune it yourself or talk to him about your application and he'll do it for you. I reworked mine to his book and I'm real happy with the performance.

Corvette(s)
    1975 Red Corvette Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default HELP WITH CARB!!!

Hey everybody. Well I havent posted in this thread for awhile so Ill update. I finally tore back into the carb and some needles were broke. i replaced them and it still ran like hell. so I am going to just put on an edelbrock. My question to you guys, WHICH SIZE? 600,650, or 750? Ive seen alot of stuff above, but no difinitive answers. Also do I get an electric or manual choke? I dont really know the difference. Its a 75 vette. so anymore help would be appriciated.
    Thanks Yet again,
    Dillon

Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by longdillon1 View Post
    Hey everybody. Well I havent posted in this thread for awhile so Ill update. I finally tore back into the carb and some needles were broke. i replaced them and it still ran like hell. so I am going to just put on an edelbrock. My question to you guys, WHICH SIZE? 600,650, or 750? Ive seen alot of stuff above, but no difinitive answers. Also do I get an electric or manual choke? I dont really know the difference. Its a 75 vette. so anymore help would be appriciated.
    Thanks Yet again,
    Dillon
    I'd stay away from the larger size carbs if you have an L48. I'd send out a PM to GM Junkie and get his take on carb size.

FWIW... Holley makes a spreadbore carb replacement for the Qjet- so it will fit your OEM intake. With any standard bore carb, you'll need either a new intake or an adapter plate.
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    Crossfire Injection | L83 | .465"/.488" Cam | EBL | 3.73
    0-60mph in 5 seconds

1995 Trans Am
    1 of 1 Trans Am | 100% documented | RPOs 48U, MN6, and GU6
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 2k RPM Stall Converter + Updgraded Transmission + Governor Set For 5,450rpm Shifts 3.73 Code 42 Dark Mettalic Blue with a twist

Corvette(s)
    1986 White l98 coupe, 1995 LT1 coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

A manual choke is a lot easier to "control" but needs a cable - which is another issue altogether. I'm always wondering if the choke is working properly with electric and if someone has had a go at the carb , you invariably find the elec choke fiddled with and you have to wait till the engine is dead cold to set it correctly. I assume its probably set properly from the factory , but you never know...
    Generally I remove chokes completely on carbs and just drive with 2 feet (auto) till the car warms up enough to not die. Or I take the easy way out and just bump up idle speed a bit

However , I am in a warm climate and generally dont drive much in winter cos its rainy etc. We never get snow .

Want To replace carb, what size should i replace it with? Copdogcorvettes's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    78 Restro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks Yet again,
    Dillon
    HI Dillon; I'd stay with a 600-650cfm if you are basicly stock L-48. If you have alot of mods then maybe larger. As for the choke, go electric. You'll have to run a key on hot wire to it and maybe a ground wire for hook-up. It all depends on what you have now. It's all very easy. Remenber if you a stock intake you'll need an adapter to put the square bore Edelbrock on.

Also if you are interested I have a good 600 Edelbrock carb setting in the shop I'd sell for $150 +shipping.

Gary

SAVE the WAVE

Corvette(s)
    1975 Red Corvette Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Ok thanks for all the help. What kind of adapter will I need for an edelbrock. Will I be able to bolt it on and go from the box?
    Thanks

Corvette(s)
    78 Restro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Ok thanks for all the help. What kind of adapter will I need for an edelbrock. Will I be able to bolt it on and go from the box?
    Thanks
    You'll need a Spreadbore to Squarebore adapter, they cost around $25-$35. Most good parts stores should have them or online from Jegs & Summit Racing. Bolt it on wire up the electic, if that's what you get, and fire it up. You will need to adjust the idle jet and may have to modify the cable bracket slightly to get it to bolt to the new carb. All of these are very simple to do.

I put a squarebore Holley on one of my other vettes and it took about an hour altogether. As I say earlier I have one that was tuned to a 350 setting here for half the cost of a new one.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Gary

Corvette(s)
    1975 Red Corvette Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi there Gary. Where would I find the specs to tune the carb to a 350? How many miles are on the carb you have for sale?
    Thanks Again
    Dillon

Corvette(s)
    1975 Red Corvette Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I went ahead and got a great deal on an edelbrock 1406 carb and edelbrock 2101 intake. now my question is how do I tune it. the guy i bought it from ran it on a 70 nova with a 305 sbc. Are the specs much different for a 305 sbc and a 350sbc?
    Thanks for everybodys help,
    Dillon
    P.S. Gary go ahead and pm the other poster interested in your carb, thanks again Gary.

Corvette(s)
    78 Restro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi Dillon

The carb may be alittle lean if tuned for a 305. Myself I'd put it on and try it; If the 305 was build it my run just fine. You may need to change the jets and or metering rod, but shouldn't be any big deal. Someone else here should know what sizes & numbers you may need. I'm really a Holley guy. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Gary

Corvette(s)
    1975 Red Corvette Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi Gary, where could I find the specs to tune the carb to a 350. do the edelbrock kits come with whats needed, jets springs and instructions?
    Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast