Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    72 454 convertible, 2000 C5 Z51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default street dominator vs torker II

right now I have a torker II on my 454. i found a holley street dominator (single plane as well) local that i can pick up pretty reasonable.

is it worth the switch. i am not having any problems with the torker.
    no missing, bogging etc but i have heard that the dominator will perform better.

any truth to that.

thanks

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The first question is: will the Holley intake fit under the hood?
    Hib Halverson

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

the carb fits now with the torker and i have read on this site before that it will fit with the dominator as well.

Corvette(s)
    1970 Marboro Maroon Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My car came with a Street Dominator when i bought it(it has a Performer on it now).The small block Street Dominator is very similar to the Torker II. I can't imagine it would be worth it to change from one to another.

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by baxsom View Post
    i have heard that the dominator will perform better.
    In what respects? Unless something is broke or you are going for a specific change, then don't try and fix what don't need fixin'.

Celebrity's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2004
    People's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2010
    Blake Yager's MVC Award Winner - CruiseFest 2011

ÄvÝ|ĶÜ°§Ů 1980
    ZZ4 Engine - Hooker Super Comp headers (ceramic coated) - 700R4 - Steeroids - VB&P Brake Kit - Torqlite 17" Wheels
    2003 Victory Vegas (1507cc / 92ci) - Stage 1 Performance Package - Arlen Ness Slashness Pipes...Gone but not forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by MaineShark View Post
    I could build a nuke in my basement. They are actually very simple devices. And we have uranium in NH. I could mine it and refine it and build one. The science is simple. The engineering not overly complex.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

why does it have to be broke, if i can improve torque, hp, throttle response, whatever for a hundred bucks its worth it.

Corvette(s)
    1970 Marboro Maroon Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Since they are the same design,the HP difference between them will be minimal.If you are looking for better throttle response and more torque than a new dual plane intake is what you want.

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by baxsom View Post
    why does it have to be broke, if i can improve torque, hp, throttle response, whatever for a hundred bucks its worth it.
    Rereading your initial post, you asked for our opinion, wanted to know if what you heard was true, and stated that you currently aren't having any problems. I'm just trying to save you a couple bucks and some possible disappointment. Kinda like what Sharkcar71 said. Different intakes are going to give you different results in different areas. That's why I asked about what specifically you are going for. More HP? More torque? OK, and at what RPM band? It kinda sounds like you are just looking at mfg claims for "improvements by adding...", but not really considering if they are really going to improve what you already have or give you what you think you are going to get.

What I (and others will be) saying is that different intakes (and cams, and heads, and exhaust, and blah blah blah) are all capable of impacting the HP and Tq. of an engine in different ways. Maybe what you want is more low end grunt, but swapping to a different intake is going to move the peak torque higher into the RPM band, thus decreasing your low RPM torque. Or maybe you are just a HP numbers junkie and don't care about torque. There's a 'best setup' for that as well. You gave a generalization of "I heard it performs better" and I asked in what way? We can't give you a good opinion without an idea of what it is specifically that you want.

Outside of manufacturer claims, have you fully researched what the proposed intake swap is going to do for your engine? Have you had your current setup dyno'd to even know what it's currently doing? Are you gonna have it dyno'd after the swap?

Obviously, it's your money and you can and will do what you want with it. That's cool. I/We are just trying to give you some advice from folks that have been around this block more than a couple of times.

(Oh, and if you can't give a definite answer to Hib's question (post #2), then you might be putting the cart before the horse and any further discussion is relatively moot.)

Corvette(s)
    1973 Orange Metallic L-82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

As a general rule, it's my understanding that single plane manifolds tend to have the hp and torque production in the higher rpms whereas a dual plane starts out lower and has flatter curves due to higher velocities which is typically what you want on the street. Just my $.02.
    Save the wave