Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear End change

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 80VetteL82 View Post
    So is the 2004R a good transmission? I remember hearing it had a good amount of problems and wasnt a solid tranny...although, who knows if that source was reliable
    For all intents and purposes, the 200R4 is the same as the 700R4, the only difference internally being the first gear. First gear is more aggressive in the 700R4.

From what I've heard over the years (mostly anecdotal?) was that the first gen R4 transmissions were problematic. That's why most rebuilders use the later model ones from the mid-90's and up. However, I'm not familiar enough with them to be able to speak as an authority.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Actually, the 2004R and the 700 are quite a bit different. The 700 is larger in nearly all respects inside and out. That being said, the 2004R was my choice for my 81. I knew it could be built to handle the horsepower I was intending and I like the gearing of it better than the 700. First and second are pretty far apart in the 700, it's a tight fit in the tunnel, the cross memeber has to be modified and the drive shaft has to be shortened.

I always read the 220 is a bolt in. Nope, not really. I can tell you that it is a direct bolt in as far as the engine is concerned but that's it. The trans mount is 7 inches farther back than the TH350, that means modifying or buying a different cross member. The 200 has a lock up torque converter, so if you’re putting it into an 80 vette, you'll have a little wiring work to do, but that's really not a problem, it's really easy. And you'll have speedo calibration to do, which is normal on a trans swap anyway. You’ll also have to modify your shifter so you can reach the new 1st gear (or you can spend $200 and buy a new shifter). The 200 can certainly hold horsepower. I over built my trans, it should hold nearly 800hp. I put in several billet parts, hardened parts, heavy frictions and steals, servo's, plus modified some existing parts. I know it's overkill, but I didn't want to have to do it again!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well as everyone knows the 700r4 that came with the 82 were the first of thier kind and had many issues and weak links. The trans mechanic told me they typically failed after 30-40k miles. Come to find out, mine had been repalced when they pulled it. They perfected the 700r4 in 1987. The 87-92 cores are the ones you want. I do not have list of differences as its late and I need to get to bed, but I recently had a rebuilt 90 model core installed in mine. Mechanical lock up over the electronic, got a 2200 stall torque converter and a adjustable shift kit. As for the rearend 80-82, yes they are weaker than the cast iron, but if it aint broke.. yet... then don't fix it/replace it. Should give you many years of service depending how heavy your foot is and the drag strip visits. I will probably go to cast iron eventually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The place I got my parts from is CK Performance www.CKPerformance.com Chris has been very helpful, and from what I've been able to find out has a good reputation. I'll use him again. He has stuff for 200's, 700's, 350's, 400's, the entire line up. Another place I found for basic parts is https://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/ I found these prices to be pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    350ci, 355HP @ 5250rpm, 405ft/lb @ 3500rpm
    Over 100K on the rear end
    Stock gears.

Engine Info
    I think he wanted the specs for your Vette, not your wife's car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Koop View Post
    I think he wanted the specs for your Vette, not your wife's car.
    Aww, man, "Ouch!" You're killing me here! Just turn the knife a little bit more why don'tcha???

Celebrity's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2004
    People's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2010
    Blake Yager's MVC Award Winner - CruiseFest 2011

v| 1980
    ZZ4 Engine - Hooker Super Comp headers (ceramic coated) - 700R4 - Steeroids - VB&P Brake Kit - Torqlite 17" Wheels
    2003 Victory Vegas (1507cc / 92ci) - Stage 1 Performance Package - Arlen Ness Slashness Pipes...Gone but not forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by MaineShark View Post
    I could build a nuke in my basement. They are actually very simple devices. And we have uranium in NH. I could mine it and refine it and build one. The science is simple. The engineering not overly complex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    Aww, man, "Ouch!" You're killing me here! Just turn the knife a little bit more why don'tcha???
    Just kidding!

ZZ4 is a great motor with all the right toys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Just kidding! ZZ4 is a great motor with all the right toys!
    Yeah, up until the first time I lost a race...

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Just kidding!

ZZ4 is a great motor with all the right toys!

You know, for the wife...

I'm just sayin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123