Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default headlamp warning light

Just got the car out of winter hibernation and noticed that when I turn on the headlights the headlight dash warning light comes on. Both light housings come up just fine, although the passenger side seems slightly lower than the drivers side, but it is barely different. The lights themselves work just fine and lower correctly. Any suggestions on where to start?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I believe there are limit switches on each head lite. That's where I'd start. Well actually, I'd get the psgr lite in the full up position first to see if that's the problem.
    Save the wave

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Headlight Headache!

You can adjust the up & down where the actuator (#1)connects to the clevis, when the headlights are up enough the button on the switch makes contact and the red light on the dash goes out. Check that no springs are broken and oil up all the moving parts before you start adjusting anything. PG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the explanation and diagram. I have the same assembly manual, but wanted to confirm the potential issue before I started messing around with the assembly. My previous 79 had vacuum issues with one light and I spent so much time troubleshooting that I did not want to dive in and make something worse before getting a second opinion. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Plastic limit switch often breaks and will cause the light to stay on.
    Gary
    GTR1999

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Most C3s have one or more 'leaky' components that are just plain worn out after 30 years of faithful service.

Any leak anywhere will cause the entire system to function poorly or not at all. Many owners are unaware of how the systems behaved when new and presume that lights opening slowly or asymmetrically is 'normal' and function only when the engine is running.

None of this is not normal and can and should be fixed. They should 'snap' with an audible thump to the open or closed position and do it almost simultaneously. A system in 'new' condition should hold vacuum for severals hours after engine shutdown. I've seen several restored cars that would hold vacuum for several days.

A common mistake made is 'shotgun' trouble shooting done by randomly changing out components without performing a simple function test to determine whether it is faulty or not. Many times owners get frustrated or run out of money and just give up without isolating the real source of the problem.

There's lots of troubleshooting guides available for free on line. Download one of those, read it and follow it step by step.

Change or repair the components that are proven to be faulty. You might just find that it's something as innocuous as the override valve under the dash