Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

What the status? did you get her going?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Seems that no one has gotten back to you on your power antenna always being up.
    The antenna works on a voltage signal from the radio. When the radio turns on, it applies voltage down the line letting the relay circuit know the radio is on and to put up the antenna. ...Shut off the radio, no voltage, antenna goes down.
    My guess is that whomever put in the aftermarket radio got their wires crossed and wired the antenna lead to the hot lead for the clock/memory. This would cause it to always have voltage applied and thus always stay up.
    If the wires are color coded correctly, the clock/memory wire should be yellow and the antenna wire should be blue. (These are colors coming from the radio. I don't recall what colors the car used. I don't have my shop manual here at work. One of these days I'm gonna remember to bring it in (in PDF format.))

OR they simply wired the antenna to always be up for some reason
    OR the antenna motor is broken and stuck in the UP position.

I believe the connector for the antenna is tucked away in the back corner of the car, behind the driver-side rear speaker. You could unplug it and put a voltmeter on it to see if you are getting anything on the line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for all the info guys.
    Yep, that thing called a jop is getting in the way with me playing with my new toy.
    I am bringing her to a mechanic tomorrow for a complete brake and bearing job. Safety First....
    Then Im going to put her on a lift and check out the undercarriage.
    I have a friend that has a lift and the mechanic is a good family friend.

As for the high idle, I have not done anything since attach that hose from the EGR solenoid. It was idleing about 700ish last time I took her out.

I will troubleshoot the antenna maybe this wknd based on what you said. Thanks for the tips. I will let yall know.
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    The antenna works on a voltage signal from the radio. When the radio turns on, it applies voltage down the line letting the relay circuit know the radio is on and to put up the antenna. ...Shut off the radio, no voltage, antenna goes down.
    My guess is that whomever put in the aftermarket radio got their wires crossed and wired the antenna lead to the hot lead for the clock/memory. This would cause it to always have voltage applied and thus always stay up.
    If the wires are color coded correctly, the clock/memory wire should be yellow and the antenna wire should be blue. (These are colors coming from the radio. I don't recall what colors the car used. I don't have my shop manual here at work. One of these days I'm gonna remember to bring it in (in PDF format.))

I believe the connector for the antenna is tucked away in the back corner of the car, behind the driver-side rear speaker. You could unplug it and put a voltmeter on it to see if you are getting anything on the line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I did notice that there is a green wire under neath the antenna mount above the drive side muffler. Two green wires were cut and laying there. Looks like they need to be wire nutted together. So I touch each of the ends and it sparked and the antenna motor starting running. But it did not go up or down. It actually just kept running, so I pulled the green wires apart again and slapped some electric tap on them. There is a blue wire coming out of the crappy stereo in the dash that has something about wiring the antenna up if you have a power antenna, but its not hooked to anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

In my limited experience w/ power antennas says that when the motor just runs, the plastic cord that moves the antenna up and down has broken and needs to be replaced.
    Save the wave

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yes, thats similar to what a friend of mine was saying. The motor sounds like its still working, but maybe the catch or chord as you mentioned is broken, which is why it keeps running. Wonder if one of the vendors sell an after market repair kit.

Quote Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
    In my limited experience w/ power antennas says that when the motor just runs, the plastic cord that moves the antenna up and down has broken and needs to be replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelrob View Post
    Wonder if one of the vendors sell an after market repair kit.
    Don't know about a 'repair kit' per se, but pretty much all of them sell the power antenna assm. Check with ZIP Products first, as they are a supporting vendor to the CAC and give discounts to CAC people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Don't know now but you used to be able to buy a new mast w/ the plastic cord attached.
    Save the wave

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

In Echlers catalog you can buy a repair kit. They advertise that if the motor runs, this kit will will fix it 99% of the time. Looks like it could the chord that was mentioned earlier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi there and glad to hear about another CE Owner, Welcome to the best Corvette site on the web.........
    I love my Baby and have had her for many, many years. All original and have had only minor things go wrong....one was the antenna, it was original and started making an awful racket and wouldn't go down, bought an aftermarket one, and was told it was more trouble than what it was worth to install it, so I just cut the black and red wire going to the power supply and now I just pull up the aerial and leave it up,
    unless I am parked somewhere, then I just push it down. The reason why I didn't put in the aftermarket one, is that I didn't want to scratch the paint and it's hard to get at.....for a girl....just passing
    on my two cents worth...by the way I don't think it has anything to do with your aftermarket stereo, because I had one as well, but as of last month I have put the original back in.
    Good Luck with your CE
    Cheers from Vette Gal from Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hey, yep,I thought about that, but I am unable to push it all the way down. Still sticks up about a 18 inches. Maybe I need to pull it apart and take a look at it.
    Glad you got your car back on the road...

Quote Originally Posted by Vette Gal View Post
    Hi there and glad to hear about another CE Owner, Welcome to the best Corvette site on the web.........
    I love my Baby and have had her for many, many years. All original and have had only minor things go wrong....one was the antenna, it was original and started making an awful racket and wouldn't go down, bought an aftermarket one, and was told it was more trouble than what it was worth to install it, so I just cut the black and red wire going to the power supply and now I just pull up the aerial and leave it up,
    unless I am parked somewhere, then I just push it down. The reason why I didn't put in the aftermarket one, is that I didn't want to scratch the paint and it's hard to get at.....for a girl....just passing
    on my two cents worth...by the way I don't think it has anything to do with your aftermarket stereo, because I had one as well, but as of last month I have put the original back in.
    Good Luck with your CE
    Cheers from Vette Gal from Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Your antenna

Yes, mine will only go down to about 16 to 18 inches too, but that's okay for me, from what I have heard you have to unhook your muffler to get at it and I wasn't about to do that, and still it won't go down any farther, so I am willing to just push it down. Since my car is original, I really don't like taking things apart unless absolutely necessary, I think they built our CE's upside down...trying to put in a new windshield washer fluid bottle, simple thing, ended up costly me $100.00 in labour....go figure, but it is tricky getting them in and
    out and I didn't know what I was doing, so I just paid the corvette mechanic to do it for me. Good Luck with
    your car!
    Cheers Vette Gal

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Funny you say that. My washer fluid tank is cracked, Im assuming. I put fluid in and it ran out the bottom.... : (
    Looks like a tight fit...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123