Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1975 black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Cold air induction

Anybody know where I can find an after market cold air kit for a 75'? Way too much hot air entering carb. killing HP.

Corvette(s)
    1973 Orange Metallic L-82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

One option is a '73/'74 cowl induction hood. Another is that in the late '70s, they installed ducting over the top of the radiator to the air cleaner snorkels. I don't know of any aftermarket CAI systems. Maybe someone else here does.
    Save the wave

Corvette(s)
    1975 black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thank's,I do have the cowl induction hood but I'm also running a RPM Air Gap manifold which greatly reduces clearances.Does anybody else have problems with too much under hood heat affecting performance?

Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If you've got a stock 350, your lack of HP is inherent to this year of engine, nothing to do with underhood heat.

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Is your air intake still the stock setup? Or was it replaced with an open element air filter?
    I'm not aware of any aftermarket intakes for our cars, however last year I saw C3 that the guy had essentially fab'd himself a CAI. The hardest part was getting a bonnet for the carb. Unfortunately, I don't recall what he used or where he got it.

In hindsight, my vision is 20/20. The OEM air intake that I had was probably the best solution. But I liked the looks of an open-element air filter better, so that's what I went with. It was until later I determined just how much hot air I'm drawing into the engine. I can only assume it's robbing me of significant power. So my next project is to do what this other guy did. The ductwork and respective air filter was just off-the-shelf stuff from a parts store.
    I know that ATI Procharger has a bonnet for our carbs since they use it on the procharger setup for carb'd engines, but they'd probably charge an arm & leg for it. I'm also going to see if Summit Racing has anything that might work. I'll be heading down there in a week or two, so I'll find out then. I can't imagine it would cost more than $200 or so to make this work... $50 for the filter, $100 for the bonnet, and $50 for ductwork and misc fasteners.

Celebrity's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2004
    People's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2010
    Blake Yager's MVC Award Winner - CruiseFest 2011

ÄvÝ|ĶÜ°§Ů 1980
    ZZ4 Engine - Hooker Super Comp headers (ceramic coated) - 700R4 - Steeroids - VB&P Brake Kit - Torqlite 17" Wheels
    2003 Victory Vegas (1507cc / 92ci) - Stage 1 Performance Package - Arlen Ness Slashness Pipes...Gone but not forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by MaineShark View Post
    I could build a nuke in my basement. They are actually very simple devices. And we have uranium in NH. I could mine it and refine it and build one. The science is simple. The engineering not overly complex.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I was actually wondering this same question today. My Dad just bought a 75 and its all stock. I was wondering if I could connect a similar setup like my brothers 77 has. It has a singe intake coming through the radiator and connects with a flexible duct to the air cleaner. It just kind of slides on there. I wonder if the plastic intake would fit with that 75 radiator shroud...if this would work I could also investigate the dual snorkle like my 81 has but this would require the dual air cleaner. I just can't imagine the "astro ventilation" pulls in much fresh air. I included a pic of a 77 with the intake attached. Don't know if the 75 air cleaner would butt up to the duct in the right place either. It may not even help hp much, but definitely can't hurt anything.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    I know that ATI Procharger has a bonnet for our carbs since they use it on the procharger setup for carb'd engines, but they'd probably charge an arm & leg for it.
    I found where ATI Prochargers sells their bonnets separately.

Low Profile Carb Cover (3" Inlet, 2" Height) ... $130

Standard Carb Cover (3.5" Inlet, 2.75" Height) ... $220

Competition Carb Bonnet (3.5" Inlet, 4.2" Height)... $240

I'm not sure if an extra .75" height and .5" inlet is worth $90 when comparing the standard to the low profile. But if one is to choose the standard bonnet, then ya may as well kick in an additional $20 for the Competition version if you have the space. The Comp version is definitely prettier.

Cold air induction
    Corvette(s)
    '74 383 4 spd coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hey guys, Fortes parts depot has a dual snorkel air filter that they tout as a ram air type set up. I'm planning to use one on our sbc powered fox body muskrat Outlaw Street Madness drag car.

peace Bud

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by rgtrough View Post
    Hey guys, Fortes parts depot has a dual snorkel air filter
    got an internet link?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Save the wave

Corvette(s)
    1976 Mahogany
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Found something that appears to be a set up from "ram airbox.com".

FoMoCo products web site, nothing specific to cold/ram air for a C3.

Cold air induction
    Corvette(s)
    '74 383 4 spd coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hey guys, I''m sorry I haven't taken the time to learn how to include links in my posts. Go to Fortes parts depot website and click the specials tab. Scoll down about halfway
    peace Bud

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Can you spell out the actual url even if you don't link it? All I can find is that one I listed before which seems like a Ford place.
    Save the wave

TMPJoe

Hey guys

I am looking for the same kind of set up. I have the same edelbrock manifold on my motor... and I need cold air... now with the BECool radiator in it i have some more room up front... my fab shop is looking at fabbing up a base to reuse the stock set up which actually worked well on the 1979-1980 in drawing air in... we will probably just cut and weld up the stock one to fit on the holley i am running... (770 street avenger) if it works i will share it

I tried the ram air box folks. they said it will not fit under my stock 1980 hood.

I know I could get a nasty looking high rise hood but I love the sleeper look right now and the clean lines of the stock hood on mine

Cold air induction
    Corvette(s)
    '74 383 4 spd coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hey guys, Forte's Parts Connection (508) 875-0016 - TREMEC DEALER, FACTORY FIVE COBRA PARTS, FORD RACING PARTS, FFR MKI and MKII, MUSTANG PARTS, TRANSMISSIONS, T-56, T-5, TKO, TR-3550 it is a somewhat ford site but the dual snorkle air filter housing will fit most standard opening sized carbs. Under the specials tab.
    peace Bud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast