Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    TMPJoe

that looks like they are re-selling the ram air box product.

it is too big a diameter and hits the HEI set up... also it looks really thick

have you put one on a vette?

Cold air induction
    Corvette(s)
    '74 383 4 spd coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hey Joe, no I have not purchased one yet. I can no longer use a stock hood because of my intake manifold. I'm going to call for dimensions. Will post any findings
    peace Bud

TMPJoe

Quote Originally Posted by rgtrough View Post
    Hey Joe, no I have not purchased one yet. I can no longer use a stock hood because of my intake manifold. I'm going to call for dimensions. Will post any findings

okay

I am a cpa so until the 15th is over I have no time to be doing this. Just a second or two here and there.

I will keep you guys updated about the possiblity of making my own and maybe a couple more if you guys are interested

Corvette(s)
    1973 Orange Metallic L-82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Here's a site that sells individual parts so you can customize your own setup. Spectre Performance - Official Site

Check the their forum for some examples.
    Save the wave

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
    Here's a site that sells individual parts so you can customize your own setup. Spectre Performance - Official Site
    Hmmm..they have some interesting setups! I'll have to look into their stuff a bit more before I put in a purchase with ATI for one of their bonnets. Thanks for the find!
    I'll tell ya what, if they put as much design and execution effort into their products as they do their website, I'll be very impressed! Their website is probably one of the coolest uses of various web technologies that I've seen!

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I agree but I couldn't find where they sold their individual pieces but didn't spend much time looking either.
    Save the wave

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I agree but I couldn't find where they sold their individual pieces but didn't spend much time looking either.
    I saw their complete kits in their online catalog. Prices seemed really reasonable for their bonnet setups (less than $300). They also had complete assemblies like what was stock on our car, except updated for something in the $400 range.

I didn't see anything application-specific for our vettes, but someone just recently posted in their forums about suggesting one for the C3's.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Did you see anywhere in their catalog where you could get individual pieces so you could create your own?
    Save the wave

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Did you see anywhere in their catalog where you could get individual pieces so you could create your own?
    I could only find it in their PDF which you can open up by clicking on this --> CLICK!
    Or right-click on that link and do a "Save As". The individual pieces start on page 17. No prices listed, just part numbers.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks. The reason I was interested was someday when I give my Rochester FI another try, I wanted to do a cold air intake setup.
    Save the wave

Corvette(s)
    1980 Beige 383 700R4, 2005 DSOM Z51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    I could only find it in their PDF which you can open up by clicking on this --> CLICK!
    Or right-click on that link and do a "Save As". The individual pieces start on page 17. No prices listed, just part numbers.
    Summit Racing carries Spectre products. You can search by part number for the item.

Corvette(s)
    1975 black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

There is nothing stock under the hood.All Edelbrock RPM top end including carb.The engine is 30 over with a good cam,Harland Sharp rockers and Milidon oil pan,long tube headers with 2 1/2 inch exuast through Flowmasters and I'm running a K&N open element filter.With the Air Gap intake and heat transfer from the aluminum I believe air turbulance(from filter being so close to the hood) and heat is the problem with poor numbers.The hood is also stock w/cowl induction.I could probably fab something up but where in the front of the car could I run ducting or pull air from?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 1975 jerry View Post
    The hood is also stock w/cowl induction.
    I'm relatively certain that your hood doesn't have an actual cowl induction. If there's no gap in the rear of the hood going into the engine compartment, you don't have any 'induction' taking place. Even my raised cowl hood doesn't have true induction. I've been thinking about cutting out a section where there should be a gap. (Shouldn't be too hard to cut it, only moderately difficult to actually get in position to do it without taking the hood off the car.) That aside...

You should be able to get a carb bonnet that's lowprofile and will fit under the stock hook. Running the ductwork also shouldn't be a problem. What will require consideration is where you are going to pull in the air. In front of the radiator and in the flow of air is the best spot I think, but getting ducting over the radiator and still being able to close the hood is what I'm seeing as being an issue right now.
    There's the possibility of putting it near the shroud that covers the A-arm, but that doesn't really give you much space nor access to good air flow. Cooler air, yes. But not high flowing air.

I wish I could remember how I saw it on another C3...darn it! The guy had it over the radiator and I seem to recall him having used tubular tubing for all of it.
    I'm thinking that possibly we'd have to use a setup like the C5's use where it's a low profile over the radiator, but then exits into tubular tubing to the carb.

People that have done TPI setups on their C3's usually just have the air filter fitted to the end of the intake, approximately sitting over the water pump. It's not exactly the coolest air, but still better than right on top of the hot engine.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If memory serves me, didn't the '79s have a molded over-the-radiator plenum that then connected to the air cleaner snorkels?
    Save the wave

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If memory serves me, didn't the '79s have a molded over-the-radiator plenum that then connected to the air cleaner snorkels?
    The bottom piece is what you are referring

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast