$projecthp
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '71 Fan Switch

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default '71 Fan Switch

I have a '71, base motor, Automatic, PS, PB and A/C.
    Problem #1
    I am having issues with the fan motor switch on the console: It seems to have only one speed (low) no matter where I position the switch, so it doesn't really cool the car down. It is also difficult to move the switch lever. More troubling is the switch lever becomes so hot that you can barely touch the thing without burning your fingers. I'm afraid the damn thing is going to set the car on fire ! Any ideas ?
    Problem #2
    The transmission leaks fluid. Sometimes it seems to leak a lot, other times not so much. I took it to a local shop and asked them to fix the leak. They pulled the pan, installed a new gasket - it still leaks. I then re-tightened the pan bolts as they seemed to loose to me - it still leaks. Some have suggested i replace the pan itself with another new gasket. I can easily do this but if it still leaks i will be very unhappy. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I am trying to sell this car and buy a C-6, but feel I have to solve these issues before I list it.
    Thanks,
    Bernie O

Corvette(s)
    1981 dark blue metallic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

1st.fan switch...check you fuse make sure it hasn't corroded.
    Otherwise you switch is most likely going bad.
    2nd tranny leak chances are you pan bolts have overtightened and are no longer even with the pans surface they probably have been pushed up a little and it is having a hard time sealing.remove the pan again and you'll probably have to have the bolt holes flattened back down.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Bill and Gail...save the wave
    NCRS member 42415
    1981 St.Louis car #2735
    all matching numbers

born Sept 18,1980
    Cruisefest 2008
    Cruisefestous 2009
    Cruisefest 2010
    Cruisefest 2011
    Cruisefest2012

Without Trucks......
    You would be Hungry,Homeless and Naked!!!!!!

Likes Tom Bryant liked this post

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Bill,
    Thanks for the response !
    Fan Switch: I probably should have noted that this is the 3rd or 4th fan switch I've installed in this car. The've all had the same problem except the original that I replaced when it "died". One of them actually looked like it was burned and about to catch fire. I pulled the inline fuse from the wire in the engine compartment and it looked like there might be a little corrosioin on the inside of the fuse. I'll just go ahead and replace that as well as the one in the fuse panel. I still dont understand was this switch is so hard to move from one position to the next. I'm also not enough of an electrician to test the switch with a meter to see what, if anything, that would tell.

Trans Leak: Yeah, you pretty much said what a few others have told me. I may just buy a new pan and gasket and be done with it .
    Thanks for the help !
    Bernie O

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Bill,
    I replaced both the underhood and under dash fuses yesterday; both were somewhat corroded with the under dash fuse being worse. There is definitely improvement, but the fan still does not seem to have the "high" speed. Any thoughts ?
    I'm going to order a new trans pan and gasket soon and will let you know how that goes.
    Thanks again,

Bernie O

Corvette(s)
    1981 dark blue metallic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

check the blower motor.remove it and try it with a couple of jumper wires to a battery to see how well it works
    check in where the blower sit and make sure the critters haven't made a home in there.
    check your grounds to make sure they are good.
    good luck!!!
    Bill and Gail...save the wave
    NCRS member 42415
    1981 St.Louis car #2735
    all matching numbers

born Sept 18,1980
    Cruisefest 2008
    Cruisefestous 2009
    Cruisefest 2010
    Cruisefest 2011
    Cruisefest2012

Without Trucks......
    You would be Hungry,Homeless and Naked!!!!!!

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Fan speed resister is burnt out,It's in the AC case under the hood held in with 2-3 screws and has 3-4 wire plug on it.

Trans leak is probly dipstick tube seal,Longer it sets,More it will leak as the fluid comes down out of the converter and rises the fluid level setting. Common on Turbo 350 and 400's.
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Likes Tom Bryant, Bob Chadwick liked this post

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I agree. The resistor has coils of different gage wire that control the motor speed. If one coil burns out you loose that speed.
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry
    Likes BigJimZ16 liked this post
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette 1981 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 L81 automatic Frost Beige

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Ok ….. I like the idea that its the resistor. However, I'm looking through the Corvette Central catalog and I see P/N 453048 for an "A/C Blower Motor Resistor" for a '68 and P/N 453044 for an "A/C Blower Motor Resistor (on top of A/C box)" for a '72 - '82, but nothing for '69 through '71 ??? On top of that I just went out to see if there was one on my A/C box. There is a bright aluminum thing that looks more like a horn relay ("A/C Blower Motor Cutout Relay" ??) and looks almost new. On top of that the thing is warm, almost hot, to the touch. That's not right is it ? I disconnected the battery when i found that out !
    I've had this car for almost 12 years and I never replaced this resistor or relay or whatever it is, but it may have been replaced when I had someone do the A/C change over from R-12 to R-134a a couple of years ago.
    Thanks for any and all thoughts and suggestions !

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

On my '81 this inserts right on top of the a/c evap /heater box. Has a plug on it. Here is one for your car from Zip. Original GM part number was 3942651. You can just remove the 2 screws and pull it out to look at it. It will be easy to tell if one of the coils is burnt out.

Resistor

Tom
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry

Corvette(s)
    2004 Coupe, 1971 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Corvette Central Part #453179 69-71 Air Conditioning Resister - On Top Of AC Box For Blower Motor
    DG_VETTE

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

DG, Thanks for the part number. I must need a new catalog, because this P/N is not in my book. The other thing is I cannot see this thing anywhere on my car. There is something that looks more like a horn relay on the side of the A/C box toward the engine, but I think that's the Blower Motor Cutout Relay. Any chance anyone has a picture of this on their car ?
    Thanks for all the help !

Corvette(s)
    2004 Coupe, 1971 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

No Picture. Switch is physically located below the outside mounting bolt for windshield wiper door vacuum actuator. The resistor assembly is located inside the AC box and only the wiring connector is visible outside the box. It is a 4 wire connector: purple (mine looks dark blue); light blue; yellow and light green wires according to AIM wiring diagram.
    DG_VETTE

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

This is all you see when installed. Resistor.

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

DG, Tom,

Thanks ! I thought that might be it. But how do i get the resistor out of there ? Do I just pull on it or do I have to open up the A/C box ? There don't appear to be any screws holding it down.
    And while I was fishing around I found this thing all taped up and stuffed under door actuator. What the hell is this ??? It is definitely still hot as I could read 4 - 6 Volts on it with a meter. A little scary if you ask me.
    Thanks again for all your help - you guys are great !
    Bernie O

img_3315-jpg

Corvette(s)
    2004 Coupe, 1971 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

i have not removed resistor before, but mine appears to have 2 bolts mounting it to AC box. WW Door Actuator will probably have to be removed to gain access room.
    The picture is a mystery to me. I don't see any wires similar to those (color) on my car in that area.
    DG_VETTE
    Likes Tom Bryant liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast