$projecthp
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '71 Fan Switch

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

OK, now I'm really at a loss. I finally figured out how to get the resistor out: One screw was hidden under the ww actuator door and a wiring harness clip and the other screw was hidden under what I can only describe as dried out and/or melted plastic or caulk. I had to chip away at it with a screw driver and putty knife to expose the second screw.
    Soooo..... I pull the resistor out and it appears to be fine. Now what ? I've got a new resistor ordered (fairly cheap) so I might as well install it along with the Blower Motor Cutout Relay that I ordered as well.
    I'm still concerned with the wires and melted connector in my earlier post. I don't know what they are or where they go, but I downloaded a wiring diagram that I'll have to study a little bit more to try to make sense of this mess - it's getting really frustrating at this point (my '59 is a LOT easier to work on !)
    As always, any and all comments/suggestions are welcome and appreciated !
    Thanks,
    Bernie O

img_3330-jpgimg_3331-jpg

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

You should have 2 bigger wires on the relay and 2 smaller. One of the bigger is 12 volt with key on and the other goes to the blower motor. Jump across them and see if the motor spins up to full speed. Sounds like you have a short someplace to cause that switch to get that hot. May be related to that melted mess. 3 green wires together makes me think someone has been doing some home brewed fix of some sort.
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette 1981 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 L81 automatic Frost Beige

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Tom,
    Just tobe sure so I don't blow something up or set something on fire: You mean the RELAY that's on the side of the A/C box and NOT the resistor that I just pulled out, correct ?
    And I'm still trying to find out what that "melted mess" is; I've got to wait until I can get a friend over here to help me trace it.
    Thanks for your help.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yes I'm talking about jumping the relay. Here is a picture from Wilcox that might help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 69-71-c3-blower-motor-relay-jpg  
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Tom,
    The plot thickens !! Take a look at this: I received my new relay and resistor today and I was going to take your advice and jump the two wires that you suggested to see what, if anything, would happen. So I pull the relay off the A/C box and this is what I find. Someone has positioned the three wire connector so that it is only plugged into one terminal !! On top of that it looks like they've jammed two wires into the same (top) socket (I literally just noticed that when I was attaching these pictures to this email). I'm going to have to double check the wiring diagram because I don't think that all the wires are the correct colors - looks like there are two orange and a dark blue and I think there is supposed to be a green or yellow in this connector somewhere, Again, I'll have to check the diagram.

I don't know what to make of this mess now, but I know its driving me up the wall. I'm hoping this can all be straightened out under the hood, because I really don't want to take the console in this car apart again if at all possible.

And I still have the trans leak to deal with !! That should be a walk in the park after this.

img_3344-jpgimg_3347-jpg

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

So here's where I am today: Things are looking up ! I jumped the two 12 ga wires at the relay and the blower motor spooled right up to full speed - great ! Then I disconnected the "melted mess" from the plug that goes I don't know where (I think it might have originally gone to the A/C compressor because there are definitely new wires going to the new compressor) and taped up the plug.
    Then I got brave and connected the three prong plug on the relay the way it is supposed to be connected and tested the blower motor fan at the switch on the console; I seem to have all speeds - again, great !!
    I'm going to go fasten the relay back to the A/C box, make sure everything is where its supposed to be and take it for a test ride. And you can believe that I'm going to have the fire extinguisher within arms reach !
    Next week the transmission pan - hopefully no surprises.
    Thanks to everybody for all your help !
    Bernie O
    Likes BigJimZ16, Danny Boy01 liked this post

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That's great. And all you had to do was put it back they way it was supposed to be in the first place. makes you wonder what the thought process was behind that wiring mess to begin with.

Tom

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Tom, sorry for the late reply - got tied up with other issues. So... the test drive went fine - have all speeds for the fan and it cools ďOKĒ; I donít think it will ever cool as well as the R-12, but what are you going to do. Still waiting on my pan for the auto trans. Hopefully that will be a straight forward fix; if not youíll hear from me !
    On another note: Iím wanting to sell this car and buy a C-6 for easier/more comfortable cruising, but Iím thinking right now is a BAD time to be selling. I contacted a couple of the well known dealers who say they will buy ďany car, any conditionĒ and if I did hear back they werenít interested.
    Any thoughts ?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

R12 was the best. Our 81 is still on R12. I always figured that those dealers that say they will buy any Corvette in any condition were just fishing for special cars that someone either didn't know what they had or were selling cheap out of desperation.

Corvette(s)
    1981 dark blue metallic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

You can at least work on your 77 without a computer.
    A C6 you can't..just my opinion
    That's why I hang on to my'81

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Bill and Gail...save the wave
    NCRS member 42415
    1981 St.Louis car #2735
    all matching numbers

born Sept 18,1980
    Cruisefest 2008
    Cruisefestous 2009
    Cruisefest 2010
    Cruisefest 2011
    Cruisefest2012

Without Trucks......
    You would be Hungry,Homeless and Naked!!!!!!

Likes Tom Bryant liked this post

Corvette(s)
    '59 Blk/Red, '71 Blk/Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Bill81,
    I get that - that's why I'm holding on to my '59 ! I just want a car that I can pretty much stick the key in and go 1000 miles if I want to in relative comfort and decent gas mileage. Neither the '59 nor the '71 give that to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12