$projecthp
    Corvette(s)
    1990 Bright red coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Need some sage advice...

So I'm looking at expanding my collection and purchasing a 1968 hardtop convertible with numbers matching 327/350 4 speed. 116,000 approx. miles, rebuild on the engine(w/o documentation). Beautiful vette... fresh red paint(seller backed vette into pole), clean interior, everything that's supposed to work, works. Award winner at local shows. My question... how do I value this? I'm sure the seller will attempt to place it in the upper echelons of a concours vehicle, but without the documentation on the rebuild and the transmission and rear differential having the miles they have, where do I place this vette? Excellent($60,000), Great($40,000), Good($20,000)..? I'd post pictures, don't know if I can.

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Bagoftrix View Post
    So I'm looking at expanding my collection and purchasing a 1968 hardtop convertible with numbers matching 327/350 4 speed. 116,000 approx. miles, rebuild on the engine(w/o documentation). Beautiful vette... fresh red paint(seller backed vette into pole), clean interior, everything that's supposed to work, works. Award winner at local shows. My question... how do I value this? I'm sure the seller will attempt to place it in the upper echelons of a concours vehicle, but without the documentation on the rebuild and the transmission and rear differential having the miles they have, where do I place this vette? Excellent($60,000), Great($40,000), Good($20,000)..? I'd post pictures, don't know if I can.

Honestly, no one on a forum can answer that question, pictures or not, there are way too many variables involved. You will need a professional appraisal done by someone who is certified to do so on that vehicle.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech
    Likes bill81vette liked this post

Corvette(s)
    1981 dark blue metallic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I agree with LLC5, however,you can check to see if its matching numbers, NCRS judged and if so how did it do.if the owner should be more than happy to show you if he's interested in selling it,if he can't answer that it may just be a pretty red Corvette with a rebuilt engine...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Bill and Gail...save the wave
    NCRS member 42415
    1981 St.Louis car #2735
    all matching numbers

born Sept 18,1980
    Cruisefest 2008
    Cruisefestous 2009
    Cruisefest 2010
    Cruisefest 2011
    Cruisefest2012

Without Trucks......
    You would be Hungry,Homeless and Naked!!!!!!

Likes Scottsredvette liked this post

Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The term numbers-matching is meaningless in my book, ncrs or not. The judging process does not determine if a given piece is the original or not .

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

There are too many variables with a car like that. The prior collision damage hurts if you are thinking of NCRS judging. It would need a close inspection of the repair. An overall good close inspection by someone who is very familiar with this model would be a good idea. Checking numbers is just part of it. There are things that will be obvious to the experienced appraiser that will tell him if the engine is original and also the condition of hidden areas of the car, like the birdcage and frame kick ups. I've seen similar cars sell in the $25,000 to $30,000 range and if they have a red flag pop up on inspection the price drops drastically. I saw a nice looking on TV '68 L79 sell at auction last month that was described as original engine and drive train and a recent repaint and it bid to and sold at $18,500. I was surprised. The paint must have been covering up a lot of sins and who knows what the chassis was like. Then again, the car you are looking at could be a really nice car. No way to tell from here.

Tom
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette 1981 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 L81 automatic Frost Beige

Corvette(s)
    2008 6.2 Coupe,1980 L48 Coupe,1968 427/4spd Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Honestly, no one on a forum can answer that question, pictures or not, there are way too many variables involved. You will need a professional appraisal done by someone who is certified to do so on that vehicle.
    I Agree...