Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just got a 79.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Just got a 79.

Hi everyone. I just got a 1979 vette. Paid only $145. Just the registration. It was my dad he just had it sitting for 7 years. It's runs but the calipers are all leaking!! I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I want to fix this car well restore it. Would it be worth it if I repaired the calipers or just buy new ones? The seals are all wet. It brakes but I'm not driving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Great deal!

Sometimes the calipers can be honed and repaired w/ a new seal kit but not very often. Best bet is to replace w/ ones w/ stainless steel sleeves and be done w/ it. One less thing to worry about.
    Save the wave

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Got my 79 in March , paid 8K. when I figure out how to post pictures I will do so. You need a shop man, an AIM man, tools, and lots of patience. You will fix one part / problem and something else will pop up. Make it safe to drive and enjoy, replace the calipers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I've done the brakes on my 81, my brothers 77, and my Dads 75. I replaced all calipers, flex lines and pads recently on the 75 and they work great. Got all of the parts at Autozone and didn't spend a whole lot (3-400 I think) but you can get better brakes for more $$. I have a motive bleeder so I don't mind bleeding once a year if necessary and couldnt bring myself to get the latest and greatest technology (new o ring technology resists problems with air getting in lines from out of round rotors, worn bearings, etc). I recommend just changing all of the calipers, pads and rubber flex lines at minimum (your life is worth it!). Depending on condition and mileage the rotors aren't a bad idea either. Congrats on the "new" vette! I have had a fascination with C3's since I was 5 years old and it never goes away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by bb2kksy View Post
    Got my 79 in March , paid 8K. when I figure out how to post pictures I will do so. You need a shop man, an AIM man, tools, and lots of patience. You will fix one part / problem and something else will pop up. Make it safe to drive and enjoy, replace the calipers.
    What's up bb2kksy? I have a 79 as well and in MD. Hope to see you around sometime.

For the OP: As suggested get new ones with the stainless sleeves and be done with it. Enjoy your Vette!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

thanks everyone! i will just get new ones. im going to get the front first then next month the rears. im going to work suspension first. i had a WRX and before i even touched the motor i went suspension first.

oh whats the widest tire you can put on the stock rim? ive notice the rear is turning into slicks lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Without any mods, 255/60-15 on stock rims.
    Save the wave

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by thricekid00 View Post
    Would it be worth it if I repaired the calipers or just buy new ones?
    Get yourself a complete setup from Vette Brakes & Products. They offer excellent parts and customer service. As well, they are an Industry Partner here on the CAC, so you'll likely get a nice discount if say you're from here. Or you can contact them directly from here via one of their stickied threads at the top of the various forums.

Celebrity's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2004
    People's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2010
    Blake Yager's MVC Award Winner - CruiseFest 2011

v| 1980
    ZZ4 Engine - Hooker Super Comp headers (ceramic coated) - 700R4 - Steeroids - VB&P Brake Kit - Torqlite 17" Wheels
    2003 Victory Vegas (1507cc / 92ci) - Stage 1 Performance Package - Arlen Ness Slashness Pipes...Gone but not forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by MaineShark View Post
    I could build a nuke in my basement. They are actually very simple devices. And we have uranium in NH. I could mine it and refine it and build one. The science is simple. The engineering not overly complex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    Get yourself a complete setup from Vette Brakes & Products. They offer excellent parts and customer service. As well, they are an Industry Partner here on the CAC, so you'll likely get a nice discount if say you're from here. Or you can contact them directly from here via one of their stickied threads at the top of the various forums.
    AND get a 79 shop manual. You WILL need it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Ya can't argue with $145.00!! Cruise and enjoy. Remember: C3 drivers wave!!!!