• So do you like the 15" rims or the 17" rims?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Do you like the 15" rims (top) or 17" (bottom) rims better?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm thinking I still like the 15" rims...

45 52.33%
  • Definitely like the 17" rims better!

20 23.26%
  • Man, I can't decide. They both look pretty good!

10 11.63%
  • Blah! I don't think either set looks good!

11 12.79%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It's interesting thus far...I sent out an email to some folks with the same pictures. Between the replies I've gotten from email and the replies here, the 'voting' is almost evenly split. It seems that the more of the C3 aficionados prefer the 15" while those not quite as familiar (or in a younger age bracket) seem to like the 17".

In looking at both pics (or all three now), I have a single observation about both photochopped pics (the 17" and the OEM). Neither look 100% like they really will (or do). The 17's I think are slightly exaggerated to looking like an 18" wheel. I think when I have actual pics of the tires on the car, it's not going to seem so different. Also, getting a sense of the dish on the rims is a bit harder in pics.
    As to the OEM rims, like I said (or possibly deleted) above, I have real pics of the OEM's on the car and they looked . I'll dig them up this weekend and post them in here. Keep in mind that when I bought my car (4th owner), it had 1979 rims on it, not the high polished '80 rims. So the less-lusterous '79 rim didn't help in terms of the shiny "ooh ahh" factor. The OEM rims I used for the photochop above came from pic that was not my car.

I had considered the Cragars / TT-II's, but those are too common right now, regardless of the size. AVGI, are those the TT-II's on your car? The Torqlites that I 'chopped on to my car, I've only seen on one other car and that would be DarkShark's.

As for the spoked rims, those are definitely old school in my opinion. I was never too fond of the spokes in any auto application. Not to mention the nightmare they are the really clean.

Lastly (for this individual post), the main reason for me going up to 17" rims is so I can get performance tires. There are no longer any "true" performance tires made in a large enough width for a 15" rim. For burbling around town, 15" tires are fine. But if I want to improve the overall handling characteristics of my car, I was left with little choice. All the suspension/chassis upgrades in the world aren't worth a penny if you don't have tires to keep you stuck to the pavement!

Please, keep the votes and comments coming! I love watching the poles and drawing conclusions. Signs o' the times!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Andre' the savings by staying with 15" rims and tires will more than offset the expense of 17" tires and rims.. and you can use the saving for the Speeding Fines across Ohio or/and (Nebraska ) increased insurance premiums..

Bud

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    This is a "quick & dirty" photoshop I snuck in here at work. Trust me when I say that the actual pic I have at home of the car with the OEM rims doesn't look this good.

My vote for the best stock rims on any year Corvette made!
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Andre' the savings by staying with 15" rims and tires will more than offset the expense of 17" tires and rims..
    Ya know what? Believe it or not, the the difference between the 15" tires that I have and the 17" that I'm getting is less than $20/tire! AND...and and and...since I'm getting the same size all around (255's), I'll be able to rotate the tires front to back which is a luxury I don't currently have with my 15" setup. (245 up front, 255 in back). So I'm potentially breaking even or even saving money since I can rotate my tires now!

Unfortunately, the tire size ain't gonna impact the distance between the "GO" pedal and the floor beneath it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Ansen Sprints and American Racing Vectors look good on Sharks.
    Save the wave

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

'dre, I like the stock wheels, but it does date it....but then again it is from that era. 17"s would look good, I just don't care for those on your car. Now, Crager SS in 17 would be the best of both worlds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Geesh. Y'all are hard on Vettes with non TT II wheels...

Granted, I like the stock slotted wheels... but they would be better if Wheel Vintiques made a 17" version.

1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    Crossfire Injection | L83 | .465"/.488" Cam | EBL | 3.73
    0-60mph in 5 seconds

1995 Trans Am
    1 of 1 Trans Am | 100% documented | RPOs 48U, MN6, and GU6
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 2k RPM Stall Converter + Updgraded Transmission + Governor Set For 5,450rpm Shifts 3.73 Code 42 Dark Mettalic Blue with a twist

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

This is a "quick & dirty" photoshop I snuck in here at work. Trust me when I say that the actual pic I have at home of the car with the OEM rims doesn't look this good.

See. That does look great. The polish masks all the difference. The wheels need that bling to go with the brightness of the white stripes. If you still have the 79 rims you could polish them to look like that. You just start with some 500 grit paper and work your way down from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Here's the real picture of the original rims. Note the blacked out center area and not-as-high polish as the actual 80-82 rims. I just didn't like it. Plus, those rims are super expensive to replace if ya bang 'em up. AND...as John just mentioned, yeah, I can sand 'em & polish 'em blah blah blah. But that's just too much of an ass-ache. I did that once or twice and by the end of the week it looked like they had barely been touched. F' that! Waaaay too much upkeep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

those rims look good!
    "It's not the long haired well fed men i fear, but the pale and deprived"~ Gaius Julius Caesar

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My preference is 15".

delbert62

It sounds like I might be in the minority here, but I like the 17s. I do like the cragars on the C3s but Cragar now makes a Super Sport 610 that looks like the old school wheels with an update. These wheels come in 17" and 18". They make the C3s look lower without losing ground clearance. Check em out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have to go with the OEM wheels,they look best to me. But then again I am a Corvette purist.

So do you like the 15" rims or the 17" rims? 82ColEd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

'Dre..

You've gotten my views before (and i saw your 15's on the car, remember? ).. I still ike the OEM's with the BFG's.. Looks "right" to me.

Dont know if that puts me in the old folks crowd then..

-Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Here's the real picture of the original rims. Note the blacked out center area and not-as-high polish as the actual 80-82 rims. I just didn't like it. Plus, those rims are super expensive to replace if ya bang 'em up. AND...as John just mentioned, yeah, I can sand 'em & polish 'em blah blah blah. But that's just too much of an ass-ache. I did that once or twice and by the end of the week it looked like they had barely been touched. F' that! Waaaay too much upkeep.

Evo, maybe those 79 rims might look better on your vette if your rocker panels were black??? Otherwise go with a chrome 15''.

JEFF

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast