Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Corvette(s)
    84, primer /69 brite red /66 red / 60 hugger orang
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Don't you own a timing light.

Is the distributor points or magnetic pickup.

I usually set the timing to start by setting the advance on the damper about 18 degree then open the distributor line up the pickup and lock it. Then make sure the rotor is facing the number one cyl.
    works for me.

Corvette(s)
    1974 convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Re plug wires and tach drive position, here is the GM tech bulletin for the small block, 1968-74. This comes courtesy of the NCRS. (It may not be relevant to your big block.)

The reason for the change from the C2s was the reconfiguration of the firewall in 1968. You would have thought the factory engineers would have picked up on the tach drive interference issue but it appears not and left the corrective action to the dealers.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/paul79//ncrs04.jpg

Corvette(s)
    1970 454 4sp Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Wow! #1 is way over in the corner by the VC. I'm way off.

Corvette(s)
    1970 454 4sp Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I think I got the wiring right this time guys, check it out. I re-wired the dist (correctly this time) and relocated the rotor based on TDC. End result? It runs great. Took it down the street (dead-end) and it didn't die or sputter. Got it timed to about 16+. Thanks for your tips and discerning eyes.

I tried to start my 454 tonight. 67HEAVEN's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    www.67HEAVEN.com
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Good news. It sure looks a lot better too.

Corvette(s)
    65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Man ...That's a good looking Motor... Nice work.. Ain't nothing like a Big Block Stuffed in the Engine Bay of A Vette...!!!!

Corvette(s)
    1995 AdmiralBlue LT4/A4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by allcoupedup
    "The worst could have happened, but didn't, that being when I turn the key I get just a click. "

It's a good thing that fuel fountain didn't meet a backfire! Would have been worse than a flatline!!!

I'm with all the other guys - check the firing order and make extra sure you have the distributor on the right tooth.

I worked on a van one time where you actually work on the car from the INSIDE.. Tried to start it after changing the plug wires and POW I had flames on the inside ... picture a 20 year old kid not knowing what the hell just happened and trying to fan the flames with his hand and blow out the flames... yep that was me. I had the wrong firing order.

Brian
    Ha had that happen a while back too.. grabbed the water hose to keep the interior from frying.. thank god no damage..

I had cleaned the back of the motor with some solvent after replacing an oil sender. i also cleaned the throttle plates on it and it back fired through the intake and ignited the solvent.. i am lucky that nothing got melted.

accidents do happen, thats life, just gotta be catious and stay calm.
    -=Rick

Corvette(s)
    '65 Convertable
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I just noticed this thread. You have spent a substantial amount of money and done a very nice job and it would be a great shame for anything to go wrong. My ONLY advise to you would be to have some one who has done an initial start up over to give you a hand, particularily with whats been happining. If I lived close to you I would be MORE than happy and a bit flattered to be asked to come by. A smokey stinky noisey engine start up and cam break in is no place for kids with a water hose and tying thottles open is a sure recipe for disaster. It is far better to wedge the throttle open with a small piece of folded cardboard etc so it can be pulled out when nessesary. Turning off the key at 2500 rpm can result in run on with the throttle plates adjusted open [I learned that the hard way] when you REALLY want it to shut off. Have an assistant there to throw a cloth/blanket over a carb fire. Less messy, and water is known as NOT a good method for putting out a gas fire as gas floats on water. I don't get too excited with a little flame in the cab, if your sitting there by the key anyway, I just spin the engine and the flame gets sucked into the engine where it belongs. Actually, you should have a fire ext there for if things get that far outa hand but thats real messy.........

Corvette(s)
    1970 454 4sp Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 00fxd
    I just noticed this thread. You have spent a substantial amount of money and done a very nice job and it would be a great shame for anything to go wrong. My ONLY advise to you would be to have some one who has done an initial start up over to give you a hand, particularily with whats been happining. If I lived close to you I would be MORE than happy and a bit flattered to be asked to come by. A smokey stinky noisey engine start up and cam break in is no place for kids with a water hose and tying thottles open is a sure recipe for disaster. It is far better to wedge the throttle open with a small piece of folded cardboard etc so it can be pulled out when nessesary. Turning off the key at 2500 rpm can result in run on with the throttle plates adjusted open [I learned that the hard way] when you REALLY want it to shut off. Have an assistant there to throw a cloth/blanket over a carb fire. Less messy, and water is known as NOT a good method for putting out a gas fire as gas floats on water. I don't get too excited with a little flame in the cab, if your sitting there by the key anyway, I just spin the engine and the flame gets sucked into the engine where it belongs. Actually, you should have a fire ext there for if things get that far outa hand but thats real messy.........
    Too bad you came about a week late to the party.

Corvette(s)
    '65 Convertable
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Just tryin' to help. Nice job. Many guys would have been tickled to help out on a quality deal like that.
    Did you find out what your miss was?

Corvette(s)
    1970 454 4sp Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 00fxd
    Just tryin' to help. Nice job. Many guys would have been tickled to help out on a quality deal like that.
    Did you find out what your miss was?
    Concensus was that the fans were drawing too many amps away from the ignition. Causing it to sputter and sometimes kill the engine when the fans "triggered" on. I had to change the power source of the fans to the big mumbo on the starter for now. May change that in the future.

Corvette(s)
    www.67HEAVEN.com
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 1970 Stingray
    Concensus was that the fans were drawing too many amps away from the ignition. Causing it to sputter and sometimes kill the engine when the fans "triggered" on. I had to change the power source of the fans to the big mumbo on the starter for now. May change that in the future.
    For that reason, I went with a 100-amp alternator and ran the twin-fan power source right to the battery.

Corvette(s)
    1970 454 4sp Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 67HEAVEN
    For that reason, I went with a 100-amp alternator and ran the twin-fan power source right to the battery.
    I'm assuming you mean a 1 wire alternator. How did you wire it? what did you do about the voltage regulator?

Corvette(s)
    www.67HEAVEN.com
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 1970 Stingray
    I'm assuming you mean a 1 wire alternator. How did you wire it? what did you do about the voltage regulator?
    Len,

I believe that you'll find all the answers in this earlier thread.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ad.php?t=55558

Corvette(s)
    1970 454 4sp Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks Bob. Looks easy enough, even for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123