$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pauk

Default Concours Detailing

Hello
    I am doing a 'frame on' restoration on my '67 roadster to make it a nice 'driver', but will be showing it occasionally. Can anyone tell me what is the "correct" color or finish (natural, gloss, semi-gloss black etc.) for the following: front coil springs, brake calipers, brake and fuel line clamps, sway bar, wheelwells (should they be undercoated?), A-arms, master cylinder.
    Thanks

Corvette(s)
    1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

paulk

definately purchase a ncrs judging manual for your car and an assembly manual .I can tell you even if you never have your car judged its fun to restore it to as it left the factory some 30 years agao.I really enjoy detailing my car to NCRS specs

Concours Detailing
    Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

As Larry posted, get the NCRS '67 Judging Guide for all the details for the whole car; in the meantime,

Front springs = natural unpainted
    Calipers = semi-gloss black on un-machined surfaces
    Brake/fuel line clamps = zinc-plated
    Stabilizer bar = natural unpainted
    Wheel wells = varying black coverage - the sound deadener was applied first, then the blackout paint.
    A-arms = gloss black
    Master cylinder = semi-gloss black, except for the machined area around the outlet ports and the semi-circular machined area at the front.
    John
    '67 Convertible

Corvette(s)
    '66 Red/Blk Coupe, '99 Blk/Blk Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

yes, i agree the NCRS manual is the way to go.....

but for a driver, I'd go with "cast blast" for the front springs and sway bar...... or, after you have then cleaned, seal them with a thin coat of satin clear coat (i use Krylon).

i think John said it before....... the deduct for rusted bare metal is the same as cast blast, so why not ? (for a driver)

i just mailed you a couple pic's that may help

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

i just mailed you a couple pic's that may help

Mike the picture your emailing are they from the ebay sale? if yes post the picture of the one with the drive shaft I want johnz to see it

As I read the judging manual it seems the stripes should be on the other side of the drive shaft.

PS I recived my box from you today thanks

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

yes, the Mossport Green 425HP coupe that was on e-bay, great color chassis pictures.... i down loaded them all. the stripes on the drive shaft were lime green and orange..... and the 1/2 shafts had a "forrest green" stripe. I just cleaned my driveshaft as well, and am installing new 1/2 shafts..... so i'm also interested. the NCRS book say's lime green "dab" on the 1/2 shafts...... and dosen't talk of the drive shaft (as far as paint marks goes).

i can't post them, but i'll e-mail them to you tomorrow (i have them on my office PC), and i'm at home now.

oh, and re the box in the mail, thank you :-)

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well this is a question for a johnz and or some other NCRS fellows

The attached photo is from a car that was for sale on ebay.It claimed to be flight judged and I belive it to be.I am a person who loves to see details sweated and this car I thought was PERFECTLY detailed

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Now this is a picture of my drive shaft.

I used the quanta restoration kit to detail my car with all the correct colors and stripes and dabs. So in reading the kit I took it as the correct way was to have the stripes face foward as I have it pictured below.but as you can see by the photo above I posted of the ebay car he has his stripes to the rear .Does anybody know what actually is correct?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Now this is a picture of my front left wheel.

The calibers I painted the machined area with a high temp clear.I then masked the machined areas with a rolled back masking tecneke so you show no lines.I then painted the caliper high heat black.If you dont understand what the machined surfaces are once you have it in your hand youll understand.after I was done with all of my masking and painting admiring my handi work my wife said whay didnt you just paint it all black and then file the paint off the machined surfaces then spray the machined areas clear.If and when I do it a gain I will do it as my wife suggested.

All I have to say anybody getting started with this type of a restoration becarefull it is very addicting and you start getting crazy with making every thing perfect. But I can honestly say I hope I am never done with this car because this is what makes it fun for me
    PS DONT USE MY DETAILING PHOTOS FOR REFRENCE Mine are incorrect for ncrs specs.My spindels are incorrect as well as something else Ill see who may pick it up

Corvette(s)
    1967 Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Too much orange coverage? No green dab on the caliper?

Tom

Corvette(s)
    1967 Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I was looking at an old pic that Jerry C sent me, he has orange in the front green towards the rear about 6 inches behind the front universal, I believe it was a pic of the Dobbins car that was on E-Bay earlier.

Tom

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Originally posted by IH2LOSE
    Now this is a picture of my drive shaft.

I used the quanta restoration kit to detail my car with all the correct colors and stripes and dabs. So in reading the kit I took it as the correct way was to have the stripes face foward as I have it pictured below.but as you can see by the photo above I posted of the ebay car he has his stripes to the rear .Does anybody know what actually is correct?

Larry -

for one thing, your stripes are way to neat ! :-) seriously, you gotta remember those production guys just slapped a little on for ID purposes.

dmrodco

LARRY ! you are the detailing God ! even if they are too neat who cares ! I bow to you ! I am going to look into a lift ! I have to have my car looking like that ! ay suggestions on lifts ???

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Originally posted by sting66ray
    Too much orange coverage? No green dab on the caliper?

Tom
    Yes you are correct too much orange paint.the book exsplained less but both of mine were solid orange as if they were dipped by some one holding the spindel on the bearing side and thats how I duplicated it.There are blue dabs on the caliper

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

dmrodco

You flater me But I am just a novice.

You have to be carefull in getting sa=tarted on something like this because it never ends.You get deeper and deeper
    The NCRS sent me this way and I think its a blast.

As for the lift there is a bunch of information on them in the corvette schrine section of our web site.I purchased mine specifly for storage and have been working under it ever since.

Good luck and become a member of the ncrs go to the shows and the cars there make mine look like it was driven thru a mud bog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast