$projecthp
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Corvette(s)
    1965 crimson pearl (2002 cadillac?)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

To all,

It's been about three weeks since my last post on this subject, because I finally turned the Vette over to a reputable shop (C.A.R.S. in Cortland, NY) and told them what I had done so far, including a half-hearted "rebuild" on the carb, AND I gave them the Holley Rebuild kit that I used. One of their mechanics took the Holley 650 Spreadbore Double Pumper completely apart and rebuilt it, doing a much better job than I did. When I picked up the car I was told that he did more than "just a simple carb rebuild". Since I visited the shop while the guy was working on the carb, I did see the carb spread out all over his workbench, and he mentioned that not all the stuff necessary to do the job right are in the rebuild kit that I had.

So, now I have the car back in running condition, but I'm not satisfied that the 650 SBDP is the best choice for me anyway. My manifold is an Edelbrock 2101, which is designed for the spreadbore configuration, but I think that other carbs would fit on it and do just as well if not better. I'm also disappointed that the Speadbore does NOT have external float adjustments, so I am considering getting myself a new carb for Christmas. I have not made a positive decision on that yet, but am looking at other Hollies such as the 570 CFM Street Avenger and the 600 CFM Double Pumper. This is a 327 small block, so if you have any advice, let me know....

Thanks for you attention and support,
    BoDill
    Bo

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

So how does it run warm now?

As for a replacement carb the purpose of a double pumper is to give a larger than usual squirt of fuel when you hit the gas for situations where you have a large volume intake plenum. Think tunnel ram, where a normal squirt wouldn't supply enough fuel to feed the plenum volume and all of the cylinders causing a stumble at initial throttle opening. You don't have that problem. A 2101 is essentially Edelbrock's aluminum version of a stock cast iron manifold. You don't need and really can't use that extra shot of fuel with that manifold. Stay away from the double pumper or manual secondaries for your application. Use a vacuum secondary spread bore or even a square bore in the 600 range and you will be a happy camper.
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette 1981 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 L81 automatic Frost Beige

Corvette(s)
    1965 crimson pearl (2002 cadillac?)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

To Tom Bryant and all,

First, thank you Tom for good advice.

Next, to all, since my Vette is running at the moment, and there is not much sunny driving time left in Upstate New York, I will drive it for now and have plenty of time to decide on what to do next over the winter. I would like to keep the Edelbrock 2101 manifold if possible and practical, but I am going to spend some time reading and discussing carburation (as it has been such a long time since I've done any serious work on a car).

The sad truth is that I am seventy years old, and my nephew will undoubtedly inherit the car. He is not mechanically inclined, so I want to outfit the Vette with a carburator that will provide some get-up-and-go, but can be worked on by local mechanics in our small town. With that in mind, I think that Holley products would be a better bet than something more sophisticated or less common (like an Edelbrock carb, for instance).

Again, your suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated, as it has been so long since I've been active in "Hot Rodding". Recommendations for particular carburators will be more than welcome.

ALSO, now that I have this particular problem (Warm engine misses) under control, do you think that I should start a different thread regarding selection of a carb for local casual cruising around? After all, this 327 does have tube headers, and I want to have some fun with it before my nephew gets it!!!

By the way, I have been looking at the 600 CFM Holley Classic P/N 0-1850S (or 0-1850SA if there is any advantage to aluminum). Any comments??

BoDill
    Last edited by Bo Dillingham; 09-15-16 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Extra thought
    Bo

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567