$projecthp
  • No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Mine was worse......

I did have an engine in it.. and it kinda moved on it's own power....
    but it was FUNKY.. and in some area's it still has the funk...

1 process at a time....

Mike
    vigman@earthlink.net

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

[QUOTE=vigman;1113145]I did have an engine in it.. and it kinda moved on it's own power....
    but it was FUNKY..

Well it is a lot better now, that front end was the definition of funky! You had too many quirky owners. What, 7 different PO's? A bunch of the original parts ripped off? Dude, it may be a collage but you are burning gas and smashing bugs.

With my life experience I didn't think that having no engine and with the two cores that it came with was a big deal. The car was very close to original. Yes it is 47 years old and all that entails but at least most of the car was in one place.

I just want to drive it. Sitting in the garage isn't making me happy.

1 step at a time.

Mark.
    1965 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe , 350 (5.7 L) cu.in. Tremic 3550-12 TCET 5009AC 0050 GM 5 speed W/064 5th gear 4:11 Positraction PPG paint code ME

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Yeah but I got it in 03

Almost 10 years to un funk the funk....
    Now coulda shoulda woulda ( 2) 300ZX's 1) G35 1) Divorce 1) Other Divorce cleanup )...
    But NOW I'm in this groove......Finally.... I get my punch list done ( and that could take a few years ) .. then paint....
    Next the slumbering 73 So I have a few projects to keep me " amused " when I retire...

Burning gas N smashing bugs

I LIKE IT~
    vigman@earthlink.net
    Likes JAGwinn liked this post

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Mark, Carb question

I assume ( In your pile of boxes, and you have the "correct one" ) you have a Holley 3810 ( the number is in the front air horn, primaries ) ...?

Mike
    vigman@earthlink.net

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vigman View Post
    I assume ( In your pile of boxes, and you have the "correct one" ) you have a Holley 3810 ( the number is in the front air horn, primaries ) ...?

Mike
    I can't find a 3810, here are a couple of photos of the numbers I found. There are sequential 409X numbers. The 28181 number is stamped on all of the sequentially numbered sub-assemblies. If you know what this is let me know. Maybe I have a Frankenstein car.

Mark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2687-1-jpg   100_2686-1-jpg  
    1965 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe , 350 (5.7 L) cu.in. Tremic 3550-12 TCET 5009AC 0050 GM 5 speed W/064 5th gear 4:11 Positraction PPG paint code ME

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default you ALMOST had it.. in pix #1

If you tilted up... the numbers are stamped on the air horn ( aka where the choke valve is ) ....
    you can see em at an angle at the top left of the frame...
    This looks like a 3800 series.... smaller bowls...single feed
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-original.html
    Last edited by vigman; 10-31-12 at 06:59 PM.
    vigman@earthlink.net

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If you tilted up... the numbers are stamped on the air horn ( aka where the choke valve is ) ....
    you can see em at an angle at the top left of the frame...
    This looks like a 3800 series.... smaller bowls...single feed
    New Holley 3810 vs original - Corvette Forum
    carb-008-jpg I finally have a decent photo of the numbers. The background is a shelf of boxes with some NOS parts and other original parts, the top boxes are the original wheels.

Mark.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Well looks like I was wrong again....

Yours looks to be the correct style.....
    1964 2818 421 Dated 327 Holley Corvette Resto Avail | eBay
    Common wisdom states:
    Stamps are structured with three digits.
    The first designating year,
    Second designating month.
    Third designating week.
    Month has one digit so for Oct they used a 0, Nov used A, and Dec used B.

BUT I found this:
    In late 1963 through mid 1964 Holley used a four digit date code for this carb. The first three digits ranged from 001-366, and represent the day of the year, while the fourth digit represents the year. For example: 1963 would represent the 196th day, which would be July 15th of 1963, while 1964 would represent the 196th day, which would be July 14th of 1964, which was a leap year. Check the date code carefully for a fourth number, as some of the stampings were very light. If you find a fourth number, most likely, it will be a 4, which would would mean that your carb was built on May 2, 1964, which would have ended up on an early '65 350hp or 365hp engine, since the production year began sales in June.

So 1313 = Day 131 year 1963
    Starting from Jan -1 1963 ( yes I know it states LATE 63 ) .. but I wanted to do the math... 131 Working days makes it Wed July 3 1963 ( not counting UAW hoildays )..
    So the date formula works...
    But Late 63 to MID 64 ( and yours is a 65 ) ... maybe you got the LAST prebuilt sitting on the shelf..
    The 2818-1 means something too.. I can now see how NCRS judges ( and owners ) can get all OCD on their car...

Maybe John Z can impart more wisdom.....

Original ( as in aluminum Knock off wheels ) ?
    Last edited by vigman; 11-02-12 at 09:50 AM.
    vigman@earthlink.net

No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.
    Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

In late 1963 through mid 1964 Holley used a four digit date code for this carb. The first three digits ranged from 001-366, and represent the day of the year, while the fourth digit represents the year. For example: 1963 would represent the 196th day, which would be July 15th of 1963, while 1964 would represent the 196th day, which would be July 14th of 1964, which was a leap year. Check the date code carefully for a fourth number, as some of the stampings were very light. If you find a fourth number, most likely, it will be a 4, which would would mean that your carb was built on May 2, 1964, which would have ended up on an early '65 350hp or 365hp engine, since the production year began sales in June.

So 1313 = Day 131 year 1963
    Starting from Jan -1 1963 ( yes I know it states LATE 63 ) .. but I wanted to do the math... 131 Working days makes it Wed July 3 1963 ( not counting UAW hoildays )..
    So the date formula works...
    But Late 63 to MID 64 ( and yours is a 65 ) ... maybe you got the LAST prebuilt sitting on the shelf..
    The 2818-1 means something too.. I can now see how NCRS judges ( and owners ) can get all OCD on their car...

Original ( as in aluminum Knock off wheels ) ?
    Nope - don't know where that quoted info came from, but it's wrong. ALL Holleys built through 1972 used a 3-digit date code (year, month, week). After 1972, they went to a 4-digit date code, where the first 3 digits are a Julian date (day of the year), and the 4th digit is the year.

The Holley 2818-1 in the photo above is dated 1313, which is the 131st day of either '73, '83, or '93; it's a Service replacement for the 2818-1 originally used on 1965 Corvette 327/350hp and 327/365hp engines.

John
    '67 Convertible

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Original ( as in aluminum Knock off wheels ) ?[/QUOTE]

No, steel wheels with original wheel covers. The center of the hubcaps have faded but are still there. I have 5 wheels (1 in the spare carrier) and 4 wheel covers. The spare is there but is bald/near bald. Just had a thought, are the wheels dated?

Like your Roadster my car will never be numbers matching. I do plan on adding Vintage Air A/C and dual circuit power brakes. I need it to be a more or less daily driver not a garage queen/show car. I know it will be driven less than I'll want it to be because of fuel prices today but I do want to take road trips in this ride. I would like to spend some time on Old Route 66 out in the desert. There is a family cabin I have part ownership in Landers CA we can use as a home base. I like driving the desert blacktop in a two seater V8. Just me and my wife. She will retire in 22 months and we can do some back roads traveling.

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
    Nope - don't know where that quoted info came from, but it's wrong. ALL Holleys built through 1972 used a 3-digit date code (year, month, week). After 1972, they went to a 4-digit date code, where the first 3 digits are a Julian date (day of the year), and the 4th digit is the year.

The Holley 2818-1 in the photo above is dated 1313, which is the 131st day of either '73, '83, or '93; it's a Service replacement for the 2818-1 originally used on 1965 Corvette 327/350hp and 327/365hp engines.

I've seen the same information on the Web about the 4 digit date code. It listed May of 1963, 1973, 1983 etc. If you can believe anything on the WWW.

Service replacement or original it doesn't matter as long as it will mix gasoline and air. Mike asked for the photo and there it is, I will let the Corvette gods figure it out. I personally am more familiar with the Quadrajet mixer (old 1968 Camaro 327) than the Holley. The car came with all these boxes of parts. NOS, original and shiny chrome "custom" parts. I know that the original car is more valuable than a Frankenstein but I have to be comfortable while I drive it. I will keep the boxes of parts I do not use and blaspheme the car and drive it. At my skill level it will not be a compromised Corvette, no cutting or permanent alterations.

IF I sell it the next owner can worry about the correctness of it all. As I've said before I want to hear that V8 SBC rumble and stuff a few corners faster than the law allows. If this car doesn't do that, I'll make one that will. Oh, and not worry about the smog fascists.

Mark.
    corvette-numbers-003-jpg

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Oh I get it Mark

But... if your boltin parts on...or rebuilding or whatever... wouldn't it be better to keep as many original parts as possible?

Like that manifold.. that is a correct one.. ( which is worth 3-600 bucks to a restorer ) depending on condition..and date code..
    ( which BTW is under the heat baffle on he bottom, rivited in ) .... PLUS it's a damn good manifold.

The carb is not a number matcher... but it's a real deal replacement.. and there are rebuilders that will make it look new with original finishes & plating.
    But that costs.... so assume the carb rebuild ( the full monte ) is X dollars... and seat covers ( leather ) are the same amount of beans.. I'll bet you'll go with the covers.. like I would... The $$ needs to go to get it running and safe...

vigman@earthlink.net

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

But... if your boltin parts on...or rebuilding or whatever... wouldn't it be better to keep as many original parts as possible?

Like that manifold.. that is a correct one.. ( which is worth 3-600 bucks to a restorer ) depending on condition..and date code..
    ( which BTW is under the heat baffle on he bottom, rivited in ) .... PLUS it's a damn good manifold.

The carb is not a number matcher... but it's a real deal replacement.. and there are rebuilders that will make it look new with original finishes & plating.
    But that costs.... so assume the carb rebuild ( the full monte ) is X dollars... and seat covers ( leather ) are the same amount of beans.. I'll bet you'll go with the covers.. like I would... The $$ needs to go to get it running and safe...

corvette-numbers-005-jpgI plan to keep what is there, no LS4, Rack and Pinion with mono-leaf front suspension, flared wheel housings, 11X22 wheels and I may assemble the Muncie 4 speed (numbers matching) and install in instead of the Tremec 5 speed. I like that manifold too, dual plane high rise aluminum and built for GM. Also it came with the car. I will overhaul the carburetor if it needs it. It looks like the PO was going to restomod the car. I have paperwork for a ZZ383 GM engine and a 671 supercharger/manifold. That includes receipts for polishing the blower also pulleys and a belt. All that stuff is missing. Someone had big plans for this body. All I want is a C2 Corvette to tool around in, not a statement of how dope I am. I am not that guy. Only someone who knows Corvettes will appreciate the car. My, my, steel wheels and stock wheel covers, no super model will look twice.

All that said I can appreciate a nice Restomod! I love Triple 5 Chevrolet cars, I have seen complete restorations to unbelievable Fuel Altered drag cars. I liked them all! I had a 56 Sedan Delivery and wish I had it today. What I have is this 1965 Corvette basket case. I will make it mine and drive it the way I want it to be.

I'll stop now, just slipped off my soapbox. It's an election year and I got caught up in the fever gripping the country.

Yes, the seat covers. No duct tape for me. Oh, and I am not a Corvette expert by any means.

Mark.
    Last edited by haganml; 11-03-12 at 12:19 AM.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Clarity

Well that carb at minimum will need a gasket kit W/O duct tape LOL~

And even in a beater C2 you will get lots of looks ( and not bad ones ) ..
    Because people know your rebuilding, not driving to the weckin yard to drop it off...
    Mark U & I are going to the same place...
    A car in daily driver status... on a budget.. makin every dime count...and being reliable...

On your Tremec.. is the throw out bearing hydraulic or manual lever action??

I would seriously consider an MSD blaster spark amp & coil...
    My car had a monster 750 double pump that was a leaker and running WAY to rich...
    The car would ALMOST not run with that setup... the MSD turned it into a 1 blip and VROOM..
    No more " slightly fouled" plug issues...

If I could shake this flu cold .. whatever that has turned me into Jaba the Snot.. I'd start boltin parts up...
    Hard to turn wrenches when you can't breath well.

The new " fake " stock shifter arm came in...
    9 leaf spring & door seals... on the way...
    New Fuel pump ordered..
    Not sure which flavor hard line from pump to carb to get ( yet )...
    Now thinking about getting your style carb ( vs Holley 4150 650 cfm ). but that's NOT gonna be cheap...
    Looking at 461 manifolds ( which will take care of all sorts of weird work arounds for plumbing ).

Doing research on "better" seat options.....
    Saving chips for Tremec & vintage air...

Alt harness extension, Alt header mount. SS wire clamps are here...

So I'm stuck ... in bed... reading and planning for world domination ( Muhahahahahhah )...

Mike
    vigman@earthlink.net

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well that carb at minimum will need a gasket kit W/O duct tape LOL~

On your Tremec.. is the throw out bearing hydraulic or manual lever action??

If I could shake this flu cold .. whatever that has turned me into Jaba the Snot.. I'd start boltin parts up...
    Hard to turn wrenches when you can't breath well.

Doing research on "better" seat options.....
    Saving chips for Tremec & vintage air...

Alt harness extension, Alt header mount. SS wire clamps are here...

So I'm stuck ... in bed... reading and planning for world domination ( Muhahahahahhah )...

Mike
    Jaba the Snot, whew it will take a while before I clean that mental image out!

This Tremec application uses the factory mechanical lever configuration in the bell-housing. Mind you that I have the transmission in a box waiting for a engine. When I get to that point I will know more about how it will install.

The A/C install, I hope to use cast iron manifolds with factory (or reproduction) mounts and a Sanden or other modern variable displacement compressor. Yes factory exhaust, I want that experience. I have the correct manifolds (including the warmup valve for the choke).

So Brain what are we doing tonight? (answer) World Domination of course!

Mark.
    Last edited by haganml; 11-03-12 at 01:15 PM.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast