$projecthp
  • No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    How about using the wooden crate motor stand and cut away the rear portion that blocks access to the bell housing flange. Then build a wooden saddle onto it that would go up on both sides of the oil pan and support the rear of the engine on the oil pan flange ahead of the flywheel? Then the whole rear of the engine would be exposed.

Tom
    Working on that now. I don't know how photogenic it will be. The crate engine stand is holding up the damaged 327 block I have. I set it on a 4X4 moving dolly to make it easy to move. The 283 is resting on the rolling 1 in square tubing support that bolts to the bell housing surface. The crate engine stand wouldn't allow the oil filter and starter to be on the engine and I wanted them to be on the engine.

Mark.
    1965 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe , 350 (5.7 L) cu.in. Tremic 3550-12 TCET 5009AC 0050 GM 5 speed W/064 5th gear 4:11 Positraction PPG paint code ME

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Okay I did fabricate a support for the 350/290 out of electrical metal tubing and some redwood 2X4 and 2X6 I had in the shop. Set it on a 4X4 furniture dolly . Yes it is BAU, but it holds that engine and allowed me to install the clutch assembly and Bell-housing (including the release bearing fork) without removing the starter and the oil filter. It is ready to wheel out to the garage where the Coupe sit waiting for that "Heartbeat". Now if you want photos I'll have to post a disclaimer of insufficient carpentry experience to produce fine motor furniture.

The clutch:
    Went and purchased a 10 1/2 inch clutch disc for the 26 spline Tremec input shaft. After all that was all I needed right? I had the clutch cover in a box and a new release bearing. This happened several months ago.
    And Then:
    I was going to assemble the clutch and bell-housing. I opened the box and lifted the clutch cover out. Gack! Corruption! Nasty rust covering about half of the plate! I can't use that! So I bounce to the parts truck, drive over to the local parts house/machine shop (I like to support the local boys). Hi, I need to buy a clutch cover.
    I'm sorry you can only buy a "kit". A kit? Yes, the cover, disc, release bearing and the release fork. We only sell kits. Well I knew an "upsale" when I saw one. Out the door I went. I had all that in GM boxes.
    Of to the local speed emporium. Yes they would sell me a clutch cover! No problem! I had the receipt for the parts and the disc itself for show and tell. The counterman looks at my part and announces I have the wrong disc for a 1965 Corvette. Right at that moment one of the customers in the store walks up and asks if I had a Corvette, he has a '66. So we were jawing about our Corvettes and I absentmindedly told the counter man to get the right disc of course. I jump in the truck and head home after paying for my stuff. All is good! I have the Centerforce (formerly Hays Clutch) high dollar performance clutch.
    Ah, the "correct disc" was a 15 spline input shaft. I must have forgotten rule # 1 "pay attention"! Open box and LOOK at your parts! Now I needed to go back and get the disc I had.
    Traffic was bad the 880 freeway was sold out SRO (standing room only). Well I'll hit it in the morning.
    Back at the emporium I show my receipts (3 of them now) explain how I had goofed things up (one thing I have learned over the years is to never tell the counter guy is that he sold me the wrong parts) and asked for the correct disc back. I sorry we are out of stock on that part. We must have sold it. But we do have THIS disc but that will be an additional $29.95. I should have bought the "kit"!
    I drag my bleeding hemorrhoids back to the shop and install my $$$$$ clutch.
    I am out of practice with the parts dance. I'll order on-line next time and my local guys will be out the sale. Sigh, I shoulda known. I could have paid shipping an still been ahead with more cash in my pocket.

Mark.

Rats! My phone picture files are too big. I have been trying to drop the data level but I am stuck right at the moment. Trying a program off the internet.wp_20130930_001-600-x-494-jpgready-go-jpg Ah got it.
    Last edited by haganml; 10-23-13 at 12:43 AM.
    1965 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe , 350 (5.7 L) cu.in. Tremic 3550-12 TCET 5009AC 0050 GM 5 speed W/064 5th gear 4:11 Positraction PPG paint code ME

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well, as soon as I get some warm bodies over to my place I will be installing the 350/290 and Tremec 5 speed into the Coupe. Checked the centering of the bell housing (3858403), it was 0.015. Installed the disc, pressure plate, release bearing and clutch fork check depth on the fork pivot ball (good, center line is forward of the pivot). Got the transmission into the clutch/bell housing all but 1/2 inch. Removed the transmission, bell housing and realigned the disc on the crankshaft mainshaft bushing. This time after the realignment the transmission slid home. Sweet!
    Missing parts on the shifter for the 5-speed. I have the lever and lever housing with the coupling for the ball on the bottom of the lever. Very sloppy. I have to be missing some bushing, spring or both. Need to check the manual for the transmission to see if I can figure what is missing.

Mark.

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The sloppiness in the shifter was a plastic bushing that fit in the Keisler offset shifter. wp_20140102_001-1-jpg The guys at Keisler were very helpful in sorting this out. I do have to also say that Joel Conklin over at Tremec who gave me the phone numbers for Keisler and American powertrain needs a thank you for his help. Picked up the replica Corvette shift handle at the same time. Ready to go for install. Maybe this weekend if I can get my son over here to help.
    Last edited by haganml; 01-02-14 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Kudos

Corvette(s)
    1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

As simple as a bushing, eh? That's good news and better news to hear Tremec tech support take care of business!

Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Just that easy, Joel did give me the gentle brush off at first "Sorry but the small pieces in the shifter are not sold separate, the best way to fix it would be just purchase a new shifter if it’s a new unit we could look at possible warranty.". After a few emails explaining that it had never been installed after being purchased decades ago he gave me the number that put me in touch with Kiesler technical support. It turns out that Kiesler purchased the gearbox from Grupo Kuo (Tremec in the USA) of Mexico for a "kit" to install a 5 speed in Mid Year Corvettes. It comes with a transmission, transmission mount, the offset shifter, a driveshaft, and a output yoke. I had everything but the bushing for the shifter.

Mark.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

All's well that ends well, I suppose!

Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Good Neighbor

I had one of my neighbors stop by and inquire about the Coupe in my garage. He has a 1967 Camaro (I do like those Camaros as I did have a '68 when I was a much younger man) at his home that I have been checking out as I drove by. He volunteered to help install the engine! I am going to take him up on that offer. Working for a install this week end! Progress! I do want some help watching what is happening as the 350/290 slides into the chassis. I'm off to the garage to pull the carburetor, distributor and plugs to prevent anything happening to them during the install. Woo Hoo! It is getting better.

Mark.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Always nice to have a second set of hands when it comes to pulling an engine!!

Mac

Corvette(s)
    88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Well Mark you have been busy!

Thought I drop in and see what's up,,,,LOL
    vigman@earthlink.net

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vigman View Post
    Thought I drop in and see what's up,,,,LOL
    Just trying to gather up a few people to help install the engine in the Coupe. I would like to have somebody watching as the engine/transmission was being lowered into the body so I don't mess anything up. I have been by my neighbor Ron's house a few times but he seems to be gone when I show up.

I'm just going to pull the trigger and start. I'll get the engine prepped (oil, plugs, carburetor and distributor removed) and hung on the cherry picker and try to get it "hovering" over the engine compartment for a look at what will be involved. Looks like I will need to remove the drivers front tire/wheel to be able to come over the fender to get it in position with my cherry picker. It may be too small for the job. There is only one way to find out, get it loaded up and see. This could be scary/interesting. I may have to pull the intake to get the tilt mechanism close enough to the engine to lift it high enough to clear the finder. I don't know, never stuffed one in a Corvette. Time to get an education.

Mark.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    vigman@earthlink.net

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That is clear! Looks like a non issue, 10 lbs in a 5lb box. In from the front.

Mark.

P.S. How is Mutly doing
    Last edited by haganml; 01-21-14 at 12:56 AM. Reason: P.S.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Depends on how far the front end is jacked up

2 person job minimum... 3 better
    vigman@earthlink.net

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe Milano Maroon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vigman View Post
    2 person job minimum... 3 better
    That is what I was figuring, Me and two helpers. One to watch each side of the engine as I maneuvered it into the coupe. I will be operating the crane, we don't need the engine crashing down on that 49 year old FRP fender. I will have the wheels off and the frame sitting on jack stands. All the front of the radiator/shroud is out.

Mark.
    Last edited by haganml; 01-21-14 at 01:16 AM.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast