Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Hood air dam picture for 59-60?

Anyone have a good picture (or would like to take one) of the correct position of the hood front air dam that is on late '59's and 60's?

Also would help with one of the hood rear although I think I know the correct way on that.

Thanks,

Gerry

Hood air dam picture for 59-60?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman for life View Post
    Anyone have a good picture (or would like to take one) of the correct position of the hood front air dam that is on late '59's and 60's?

Also would help with one of the hood rear although I think I know the correct way on that.

Thanks,

Gerry
    do you mean the ones used on the LeMans race cars, or??

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
    do you mean the ones used on the LeMans race cars, or??
    John, I was referring to the one on production late 59's and (I think) all 60's. I bought one and it has two ribbed sides and one smooth side.

It attaches near the front bottom of the hood so (I think) it closes down on the radiator, thus damming the air to not flow around. Trying to figure just where to place it with respect to the underhood raised areas and which side(s) are glued down.

Thanks,
    Gerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi Gerry,

I'm confused on this one. I know of no rubber seals in the area you are asking about. The only rubber on the hood is at the rear edge to keep junk from blowing out of the rear of the engine compartment onto the windshield and into the cowl vent. I searched my 1960 GM parts book and found nothing other than this rear seal. Are you sure that isn't what you have? It would glue on 2 sides and leave a smooth area to contact the rear hood surround lip. It's a little over 25 inches long.

Tom
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette 1981 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 L81 automatic Frost Beige

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Tom,
    Corvette Central shows it in their on line catalog as part number 631410 and says '59s from 12/8/59 (approx serial # 1600) and '60's.

It shows what may be a picture from the 1960 assy manual but it's not in my '59 manual. I know I've seen some on 60 vettes in car shows but didn't know I'd be adding one to the one I'm working on. Just hoping someone with a '59 had it mounted correctly and could take a picture of it.

Thanks for trying to look it up.

Gerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My '59 is much too early to have that piece. I found it in some other restoraton parts books too but no pictures to use for reference. I can't find it in the assembly manual either and I checked my April 1960 parts manual again. It only list the rear seal and it isn't in any illustration. I checked the illustrations in the 1973 manual I have, which has more illustrations, and it isn't there.

Let's hope that someone with a late '59 or '60 chimes in.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    My '59 is much too early to have that piece. I found it in some other restoraton parts books too but no pictures to use for reference. I can't find it in the assembly manual either and I checked my April 1960 parts manual again. It only list the rear seal and it isn't in any illustration. I checked the illustrations in the 1973 manual I have, which has more illustrations, and it isn't there.

Let's hope that someone with a late '59 or '60 chimes in.

Tom
    Is this part mentioned in the 1959 NCRS Judging Manual? I don't have one of my own to check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yes it is. Looks like I learned something today. After 40 years I'm still finding out things about '59s I didn't know, or forgot since it didn't apply to my car. This is all it says about it.

"Sometime in early 1959, a black rubber seal was added to the forward underside area of the hood panel, sealing off the radiator skirt when the hood is down."

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

As for the rear seal, the 1960 parts book says 25 13/32 inches long. The judging manual says it runs across the back but stops short of going around the edges. Here is a picture of both ends of my original. I would guess that it was on a roll on the assembly line and was cut to length as it was needed. Length may vary slightly on original cars due to this or shrinkage. It was applied with yellow w/strip adhesive which may have been excesive. John would know more about that than I.

Looking at mine I'd guess that it was cut off square originally due to the constraints of production time even though it looks to have been back cut on the driver's side. Mine appears to have been chunked off some over the last 50+ years on the passenger side and was squished down on the drivers side.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Tom,

OK, so at 71 my mind isn't totally gone. Thanks for the research and the info on the front seal (the Corvette America one is not an exact repro of that one but at least I can use the length dimentions and get it in the right position).

Now, there must be some 1960 owner out there who could send a picture of how the front seal is mounted or at least describe its mounting location and measure it's length.

As originally stated it has two ribbed sides and a smooth lip. It is kind of an opened up U shape. The ribbed sides may glue against a hood cross brace with the lip pointing down somewhat forward of vertical so that the air stream presses it against the radiator top. Just a guess but there has to be a right way.

Thanks again,

Gerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Tom,

OK, so at 71 my mind isn't totally gone. Thanks for the research and the info on the front seal
    Gerry
    Well, maybe at 71 it isn't doing so good. I meant the rear seal in that sentence.

Gerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I figured that. I think there is a certain age when you start to understand what someone means even if they don't say it right.

Hood air dam picture for 59-60?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Doc Rebuild shows it in his catalog (their #1274589), with an illustration, and sez: "9 raised ribs on one surface and 11 ribs on another. Apply weatherstrip adhesive to the surface with 9 ribs and mount to the front underside of the hood above radiator support, with the open end of the "V" facing the rear."

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Any '60 owner readers?

John,

Thanks much. That helps a lot.

I'd still be interested in a couple of photos of one installed if there are any '60 owners reading this.

Gerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

John,

Thanks much. That helps a lot.

I'd still be interested in a couple of photos of one installed if there are any '60 owners reading this.

Gerry
    sorry, I looked through my photos, no pictures before I turned it into restorod.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast