Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 1966 RADIO GRILL

Need some help ! I have a 66 sting ray and i think the radio speaker has had it's best day's. I would like some instruction on removing the speaker grill and the speaker. I know there is a easy way and the hard way, I would like to try the easy way this time..........
    THANKS PAUL
    p.k. robb

Don Strausburg

Default speaker grille

I have a 1964 Stingray and just replaced my speaker. Sorry to say that there is no easy way. To have enough room to do this you MUST remove the glove box. Once that is done it will give you plenty of room to take out the speaker. If the grille is still good you can remove the speaker only. All you have to do is feel for the nuts on the grille or speaker posts. If you replace the speaker DO NOT buy an exact repo speaker with the winding on it. They are made overseas and are not the correct ohms. Trust me, it WILL NOT work. You are better of buying the dual cone stereo speaker in many of the catalogs out there. All you have to do is wire them in series. Tale the plus from one speaker and connect it to the minus of the other. That will leave you with one plus from one speaker and one minus from the other. Those are the two to coonect to your radio. Another advantage to this is that it will sound better and you will get a little more volume out of your radio. You should be able to do this entire job in about three hours. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Don Strausburg

Default radio grill

Forgot to mention one other thing. It will also help if you remove your clock. This is very easy. Just unplug and pull off three clips in rear. They slide off. Takes less tan one minute. This will allow you to put one hand in the clock hole to help remove speaker nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Don:
    Thanks for your quick reply. Would you know the correct ohms for the speaker ? I have already decided to go with the duel cone speaker. Thank you once again you've been very helpful. Paul
    p.k. robb

Don Strausburg

Default speaker

Yes, you HAVE to have 8 ohms. The dual cone speakers are 4 ohms each. If you wire them exactly as I said you will get a TRUE 8 ohm output. The single speaker that most places sell doesn't even test out at 4, and the radio needs a true 8. Go with the dual cone and you will be fine. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Don:
    Thanks once again. you've been very helpful and now I'll get started on this new project.
    p.k. robb