1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant Workers Authorize a Strike

Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant Workers Authorize a Strike

Rob Loszewski
    Corvette Action Center
    April 9, 2014

WDRB 41 out of Louisville, Kentucky is reporting that the workers of the Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant have voted and authorized a strike in light of yesterday's news in The Tennessean Newspaper that the workers were being mistreated.

According to WDRB and The Tennessean, the workers are upset with mistreatment, safety conditions and quality control within the plant.

Eldon Renaud, the head of UAW Local 2164 told WDRB that there have been several near-misses within the plant that could have led to serious injuries to the workers. If negotiations between the UAW and management prove to be beneficial and agreeable to the UAW, a strike at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant could be avoided.

We'll keep our members updated as we receive news on these developments.

Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center

Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque About It
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Corvette(s)
    1964 red convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant Workers Authorize a Strike

Rob Loszewski
    Corvette Action Center
    April 9, 2014

WDRB 41 out of Louisville, Kentucky is reporting that the workers of the Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant have voted and authorized a strike in light of yesterday's news in The Tennessean Newspaper that the workers were being mistreated.

According to WDRB and The Tennessean, the workers are upset with mistreatment, safety conditions and quality control within the plant.

Eldon Renaud, the head of UAW Local 2164 told WDRB that there have been several near-misses within the plant that could have led to serious injuries to the workers. If negotiations between the UAW and management prove to be beneficial and agreeable to the UAW, a strike at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant could be avoided.

We'll keep our members updated as we receive news on these developments.
    GM needs to dump the UAW. Gives the Corvette a black eye. Mangement and workers need to work as a Team to build the best product that they can. That obviously is NOT happening. Move the Corvette factory out of Bowling Green, further south to a Right to Work state.

Corvette(s)
    Black 95 6 spd Coupe (Sold); 2011 GS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by unclevito View Post
    GM needs to dump the UAW. Gives the Corvette a black eye. Mangement and workers need to work as a Team to build the best product that they can. That obviously is NOT happening. Move the Corvette factory out of Bowling Green, further south to a Right to Work state.
    1. GM won't dump the UAW. Too many locations are in states that have strong pro-union laws, so that would never work for GM.

2. Because of 1, it wouldn't matter if GM relocated that assembly plant to Key West, Florida. The UAW would still represent the workers to GM.

3. This is apparently over working conditions and product quality. If it's documented that there have been several near-miss events in the plant (and if that term carries the same definition as it does for the company I work for), then I can absolutely see their point. I'm a bit less convinced about the UAW's concern about product quality. That seems to be a catch all phrase that all parties use when discussing the need FOR or AGAINST a strike.

I'm a firm believer that employees are entitled to have working conditions that enable them to leave with the same number of fingers and toes that they arrive with each shift. There may be many reasons that explain why more safety problems are occurring than in the past (new product, new methods, new employees, higher production rate). It's too bad that this couldn't have been settled internally between management and the union.

I just hope that this doesn't turn nasty and poison the well between BG management and the Union. For so many years, it seemed that BG was an example of how both management and union could come together and get things done. Maybe that was never true, or perhaps this is just a blip. I hope it's resolved soon, though.

Steven
    If energy and enthusiasm were a substitute for experience and expertise, then I would hire my 11 year old for this job.

vetmaniac

Quote Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan View Post
    1. GM won't dump the UAW. Too many locations are in states that have strong pro-union laws, so that would never work for GM.

2. Because of 1, it wouldn't matter if GM relocated that assembly plant to Key West, Florida. The UAW would still represent the workers to GM.

3. This is apparently over working conditions and product quality. If it's documented that there have been several near-miss events in the plant (and if that term carries the same definition as it does for the company I work for), then I can absolutely see their point. I'm a bit less convinced about the UAW's concern about product quality. That seems to be a catch all phrase that all parties use when discussing the need FOR or AGAINST a strike.

I'm a firm believer that employees are entitled to have working conditions that enable them to leave with the same number of fingers and toes that they arrive with each shift. There may be many reasons that explain why more safety problems are occurring than in the past (new product, new methods, new employees, higher production rate). It's too bad that this couldn't have been settled internally between management and the union.

I just hope that this doesn't turn nasty and poison the well between BG management and the Union. For so many years, it seemed that BG was an example of how both management and union could come together and get things done. Maybe that was never true, or perhaps this is just a blip. I hope it's resolved soon, though.

Steven
    With the black eye from all the recall issues recently, this is all Government Motors needs. From everything I've read about the new Stingray as well as personal experience with previous generations, product quality is definitely an issue at the plant.
    Last edited by vetmaniac; 04-09-14 at 06:45 AM. Reason: spelling error

Corvette(s)
    1959 1968 427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by unclevito View Post
    From personal experience most members are nothing but cry babies. If they don't want to work there go some where else. Plenty of good hard workers would love to have their jobs without having the UAW.

Corvette(s)
    2004 LeMans Commemorative convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default I agree

Steven
    I've got to believe that there's a real issue here for these workers. Nobody's talking about money. Apparently, there's plenty of overtime and who wouldn't like building new Corvettes all day long? If this is about safety, then it may be related to the General's desire to crank out Vettes at any cost which, in the end, could compromise safety and quality. I think you really have to at least listen to what their beef is before you decide whether or not there's merit to it. In the long view, if Corvettes start coming out with quality flaws - especially ones that could have been avoided - it hurts the perception of the car itself. I think this can be fixed easily by both sides sitting down and talking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

There are issues at the plant. Did you ever wonder why the last plant manager left his "dream Job" so abruptly? I'd hold judgement about this action. We all know there are quality issues at BG. Do you think the workers were happy about all those crappy paint jobs being shipped? I have spoken to the final inspectors at the end of the line, and they are perfectionists, and wouldn't OK a defect.

The BG workers have been long known for cooperation with GM. They have seen their ranks cut by 50% without a peep, and actually suggested workplace mods that "old" unions would have never agreed to. I would never question a workplace safety issue without the facts. Remember, a large portion of the assembly area is under overhead conveyors, a less than ideal situation that isn't even allowed by OSHA in other industries.

BTW, I'm far from a union sympathizer. I spent most of my professional career on the other side of the table at bargaining and grievance meetings and working on anti-union campaigns at union-free plants in the south.

I hope the real issues come out at the end of this set-to, but they may not, by "mutual agreement."
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by pairofjacks1 View Post
    I've got to believe that there's a real issue here for these workers. Nobody's talking about money. Apparently, there's plenty of overtime and who wouldn't like building new Corvettes all day long? If this is about safety, then it may be related to the General's desire to crank out Vettes at any cost which, in the end, could compromise safety and quality. I think you really have to at least listen to what their beef is before you decide whether or not there's merit to it. In the long view, if Corvettes start coming out with quality flaws - especially ones that could have been avoided - it hurts the perception of the car itself. I think this can be fixed easily by both sides sitting down and talking.

Oh please,
    These workers are the most coddled group of workers on planet earth.
    Who wouldn't want to build Corvettes all day long? Lazy ass Government Motors employees.
    You can bet your ass safety is not the issue.

"A local UAW official said Sunday that negotiators had wrapped up work on most issues and were determining how much money GM must put into a trust fund for retiree health care that will be managed by the UAW. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the talks are private.

The health care fund -- known as a Voluntary Employees Beneficiary Association, or VEBA -- would be a significant change for the auto industry and has been the major issue in this year's negotiations. GM has around $51 billion in unfunded retiree health care costs but the company isn't required to put the full amount into the VEBA. The UAW and GM have been wrangling over how much GM should put in and how much can be paid in cash or in stock.

GM, which has about 339,000 UAW retirees and spouses, badly wants to pay the union to form the VEBA to get the health care liabilities off its books. In exchange, the UAW was expected to ask for future work guarantees at its U.S. plants.

The UAW picked GM as the lead company and potential strike target in the negotiations, which began in July. Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC have indefinitely extended their contracts with the union. They are expected to match many of the terms of GM's agreement once it's reached. The three automakers have a total of $90 billion in unfunded retiree health care costs."

Based on history alone, who do you think will wind up paying for these retires pensions?

Corvette(s)
    2015 Z06 3LZ, Z07 Performance Package
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by pairofjacks1 View Post
    I have been seing some of these new C7 at the dealer in my area.

The first thing I notice is the orange peel in the paint.

If ordered one and it came in with and over abundance of bad paint I would refuse it until it was made right.

vetmaniac

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    There are issues at the plant. Did you ever wonder why the last plant manager left his "dream Job" so abruptly? I'd hold judgement about this action. We all know there are quality issues at BG. Do you think the workers were happy about all those crappy paint jobs being shipped? I have spoken to the final inspectors at the end of the line, and they are perfectionists, and wouldn't OK a defect.

The BG workers have been long known for cooperation with GM. They have seen their ranks cut by 50% without a peep, and actually suggested workplace mods that "old" unions would have never agreed to. I would never question a workplace safety issue without the facts. Remember, a large portion of the assembly area is under overhead conveyors, a less than ideal situation that isn't even allowed by OSHA in other industries.

BTW, I'm far from a union sympathizer. I spent most of my professional career on the other side of the table at bargaining and grievance meetings and working on anti-union campaigns at union-free plants in the south.

I hope the real issues come out at the end of this set-to, but they may not, by "mutual agreement."

If that's the case, why have so many cars ended up on dealer lots with lousy paint work, poor exterior panel fit, poorly assembled interior pieces, leaking roof panels, etc.? Historically, we older Corvette affecianados have put up with these defects as part of the "Corvette experience."

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vetmaniac View Post
    If that's the case, why have so many cars ended up on dealer lots with lousy paint work, poor exterior panel fit, poorly assembled interior pieces, leaking roof panels, etc.? Historically, we older Corvette affecianados have put up with these defects as part of the "Corvette experience."
    Because plant management, not the workers, say when a car is ready to go. The inspectors tag the issues, and supervision takes it from there, as it should be. That lays something like obvious paint flaws squarely on the Company.
    Back in the day, Vettes were no worse than other models at GM, and GM was no worse than the rest of the Big Three. GM didn't care because, at one time, they owned nearly 50% of the market, and were more worried about being broken up as a monopoly. The union and GM walked hand in hand down the "anything is good enough" road.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    1985 Z51 Corvette Coupe Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I've been in situations where the employer didn't listen to my concerns about safety conditions and the only way I got results was during contract negotiations, with the Union present. Going up 30 feet on the blades of a fork lift with no safety box. Standing on the blades and trying to work on re-stacking cases of beer. That safety concern was ignored until the Union got involved, so there are reasons that Unions exist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by netnarc2 View Post
    so there are reasons that Unions exist.
    Yes, just not many...

Corvette(s)
    1964 red convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Steven

OSHA does a much better job of policing employee safety. Somehow I think the Union is using employee safety as a scapegoat for other issues they have with management. OSHA fines a company and asks for corrective actions. With a strike, workers go home and watch TV. Which do you think contributes best to safety and building a better car?

Corvette(s)
    LT4 - Cam, exhaust,intake / '03 Z06 - stock
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Unfortunately, OSHA is about as useless as an organization can get, very reluctant to intervene in the workplace. Also, if you happen to be in a state with a recognized state government osha type agency, forget it. The threshold of conditions to effect an action from them is almost to the point that someone must die first. seriously......been there, done that.
    red lt4 w/corsas, hot cam, headers, hi flow cats, 52mm TB 343 HP/334.5 torque. '03 Z06 - Honker intake, 359 HP/ 347 torque

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast