$projecthp
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Autocrossing a Corvette

Not sure if some of you have seen this article that we have in our Knowledgebase but check out:

Autocrossing

Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque About It
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu
    Likes DocLex liked this post
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Corvette(s)
    '01 TR M6, '07 MS A6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Funny that the autocrossing article should be highlited now that SCCA Solo II BP has just been eliminated by SCCA.

tmmymcintyr@aol.com

Default Very Cool

thanks for the article! Very cool

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The Corvette is a great autocross car. If you want to run at the national level the classing is a little difficult, but at the local level you can have a lot of fun.

I think every Corvette owner should at least try an autocross. It's one way to learn how to drive your Corvette. Just don't get carried away with modifications. Autocrossing is really all about the driver.

Richard Newton

Autocross Performance Handbook

101 Projects for Your Corvette 1984-1996

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I agree about competing at least once. You will never know about the capabilities of both you and your car unless you participate in a competition with rules that enables you to run against cars with similar capabilities as yours. There is a huge difference between the seat of the pants feeling of speed and handling versus running against a clock and/or other drivers. When you can compare your performance on a course versus other Vettes and other marques it might give a whole new appreciation for your car and your driving - or not.

Back when the C4 was the American King of the Road I ran a serious autoX schedule for several years, and by serious I mean a series that stretched almost 7 months - every weekend. It was held in many venues from one end of the state to the other. It was grueling, and consumed 3 sets of R street tires a season, but, IT WAS FUN. By midway through the first season I knew the limits of the Vette, not to mention my own. I got much better as time wore on, but I was always hard-pressed to match the capability of my car.

I was amazed that as I got better, and was able to set fast time of day, the best that Europe and Japan had at the time couldn't measure up. That's when I truly appreciated what the Vette represented.

So I agree, in fact I think I'll pump us the tires and run a local event just for the hell of it.
    Last edited by catbert; 02-14-15 at 10:56 AM.
    Likes DocLex liked this post