View Full Version : Corvette Plant to Make Two More GM Vehicles

Rob
10-01-07, 06:30 AM
Corvette Plant to Make Two More GM Vehicles
Posted: 4:17 PM Sep 30, 2007
Last Updated: 4:17 PM Sep 30, 2007
WBKO TV - Bowling Green, Kentucky

Video: http://vettetube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=0fa56e57789e2a2f2c9d

UAW Local 2164 President Eldon Renaud said Bowling Green's Corvette Plant will start making two more GM models by the year 2012.

Renaud added that under the new tentative contract agreement, production of the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky would move here, from GM's Wilmington, Delaware plant.

The Bowling Green plant assembles about 35,000 Corvettes each year.
Since 2003, it has also made Cadillac XLR's.

GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson declined to comment on the story.

Eric
10-01-07, 09:08 AM
Kinda makes one wonder if GM may have bigger plans for the Sky and Solstice. Maybe the Mallet versions of those cars with the V-8 is giving GM some ideas.

- Eric:w

damoperator
10-21-07, 08:26 PM
I and fellow members of the Greenwood, SC Corvette Club, 15 members present toured the plant on Friday October 19,2007. I asked the tour guide Vickie and she said yes the romour is true. It will add 2000 more employees to the facility of course this is after expansion of the plant. Of course since they only produce the XLR on a need basis and the line is shut down occassionaly. The corvette line only runs one eight hour shift. These other two lines could be to run three shifts and keep the XLR running more without stoppage of workforce.

GerryLP
10-21-07, 09:58 PM
Kinda makes one wonder if GM may have bigger plans for the Sky and Solstice. Maybe the Mallet versions of those cars with the V-8 is giving GM some ideas.

Here comes that rumored, feared, and controversial V6 Corvette....:ugh:chuckle:L:ugh:mad;shrug

lt1george
11-20-07, 07:57 AM
Here comes that rumored, feared, and controversial V6 Corvette....:ugh:chuckle:L:ugh:mad;shrug

Gotta agree. New plant manager coming in.....................you watch GM "shove" the guy around. That's one thing GM couldn't do with Will Cooksey.Will was all Corvette. Now on with the Show !!!! Save the Wave.>George

jrose7004
11-20-07, 08:53 AM
No I think that you'll get a LS7 Sky!

Hib Halverson
11-24-07, 10:51 AM

Not gonna happen, at least not on a production basis. V8 Skys and Soltices will remain an aftermarket fad.

What's happening is GM wants to make B.G. its manufacturing center for all the Corp's two-seat sports cars. It also either wants to move those products out of Linden so it can either put another product in there or close the plant.

My guess is that, the reason they're waiting for the '12 model year is to have the change-over to C7 and the installation of the Sky Soltice production lines (which, I bet, will also be undegoing a platform change-over) occur at the same time. Doing it that way would be most cost-efficient.

lt1george
11-24-07, 12:10 PM
Hib, All due respect. Cost-efficient, yes. GM doing it that way, no. The smart thing for GM would be to have sent production of the Sky and Soltice to Oshawa, Canada. (build those cars with the new Camaro) Polluting Bowling Green with other products is a big mistake. What's GM trying to do, make Bowling Green a multi line plant like St. Louis use to be.
I hope they don't have a platform change over making all the "two seat" models on all one platform. That would for sure kill the Corvette. Remember when John Z. Delorean wanted the two seat Pontiac and GM quickly say no.
GM cancelled Camaro, started making the SSR, cancelled that, cancelled the Reatta, cancelled the Fiero. etc. Let's face it GM needs someone with Car Brains not Cereal Brand Sense.
What's next ? Sky and Soltice customers wanting to have a "museum delivery" of a new Saturn or Pontiac. Just my .02. Save the Wave.>George

Roc
11-25-07, 10:21 AM
Not gonna happen, at least not on a production basis. V8 Skys and Soltices will remain an aftermarket fad.

What's happening is GM wants to make B.G. its manufacturing center for all the Corp's two-seat sports cars. It also either wants to move those products out of Linden so it can either put another product in there or close the plant.

My guess is that, the reason they're waiting for the '12 model year is to have the change-over to C7 and the installation of the Sky Soltice production lines (which, I bet, will also be undegoing a platform change-over) occur at the same time. Doing it that way would be most cost-efficient.

Most people don't realize that the city of Bowling Green owns the Assembly Plant and GM gets a very very favorable lease on it. Look for separate lines for the vehicles because they will be different platforms (from Corvette & XLR).

Hib Halverson
11-25-07, 11:24 AM
Ok "lt1george"...why not back up your statements with some facts?

Tell us WHY sending the small sports car platform to Oshawa makes sense. Also, tell us how will another car line in B.G. "pollute" that plant.

As for your comments in re: the old St. Louis plant, GM was making other products there before Corvette was moved in there for MY54.

I never said GM was going to merge the small and large sports car platforms. What I said was it made sense to move the Sky and Solstice production to Bowling Green at the same time Y-car changes over to C7. The Sky and the Solstice will also be ready for their platform change over at about the same time so it would make great business and manufacturing sense to change both platforms over and move their production into the same location all at one time but....the two vehicle lines will remain on different platforms.

My opinion is moving the two small sports cars into B.G. will do nothing but good things for Corvette.

lt1george
11-25-07, 06:41 PM
Easy Hib. I have all the respect in the world for you. I'm just a simple country boy, and wish only the Best to GM. I Love GM. Just sick of seeing all the terrible decisions they have made in the past. Oshawa is rated very highly in GM car and truck production. In fact I believe they have the highest rating in all North America in build quailty and in the amount of time it takes to build a unit. Also GM does not pay Health care in Canada....another huge saving.The Corvette is a jewel within GM and should be kept that way. It just always seems GM will spend a dollar to save a penny.>George

*89x2*
11-25-07, 07:39 PM
Good. That beats the rumor that the Corvette plant would be closing, and the line move to the Saturn plant in TN.

It is also VERY good for the NCM, as it is an easier drive across the street, vs. from TN. :cool