PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

Pages : 1 [2]

redvett
11-24-07, 07:02 PM
GM is devoleping the 3.6L Homogenious Compression Direct Injection engines and 372 hp is possible. Not only less weight but less components from emissions. Could be a very quick V6.

hoosierdaddy
11-24-07, 07:11 PM
As a Moderator of these forums I have the obligation to inform you that based on your repeated comments in this thread that you are now on DOUBLE Secret Probation! :L

A promotion would be nice General and I think I deserve one :beer and I will drink to that :W and again :beer, once more :beer

Thanks,
Bill ;LOL

Hib Halverson
11-24-07, 08:02 PM
GM is devoleping the 3.6L Homogenious Compression Direct Injection engines and 372 hp is possible. Not only less weight but less components from emissions. Could be a very quick V6.

Developing?

GM has already gone to production with a 3.6L direct injection V8. It's in the Cadillac CTS.

redvett
11-24-07, 09:16 PM
Developing?

GM has already gone to production with a 3.6L direct injection V8. It's in the Cadillac CTS.
The CTS still has spark plugs,ign. coil, like any gas engine but the Homogeneous Compression Direct Injection engines wont have any of that and more HP & Torque. Probably wont be out until 2010 or later. Basically a gas/diesel.

hoosierdaddy
11-24-07, 10:17 PM
Will it smoke like a diesel? Will it be turbo or naturally aspirated?

Just curious, and I think this may be my last comment on this thread since I got promoted. . . . . . . .

Bill

redvett
11-25-07, 09:04 AM
No turbo and no smoke but it will be in the C7 Vett in 2010. Just about every engine line will be HCDI for the good economy and clean emissions.

jay daley
11-26-07, 11:36 AM
Diesels don't seem to smoke any more, witness the MB BlueTec. Smell but no smoke. Make your hands stink when you refuel, but no smoke. Theres' another technology out there which used uric acid to further break down NOx. So, here's the drill: fill your tank with low sulphur diesel fuel. Then, guess what you do into the tank? Have a couple of beers first, or better, hot tea with lemon.

hoosierdaddy
11-26-07, 03:06 PM
I said I was not going to comment anymore but I can't hep it, do what ;shrug in the tank? Does it make any difference what kind of :beer? Be right back got to make a pit stop ;LOL

Bill :w

Corvette Blogger
11-26-07, 04:13 PM
I've hoped this V6 Corvette thread would die, too!

If you're looking to read "the latest and greatest" on upcoming Corvettes, I'm doing my best to post any and all hot breaking news at CorvetteBlog. I have two links, one for the 2009 ZR1:

http://www.corvetteblog.com/archives/cat-2009-corvette-zr1-blue-devil.html

And one for the 2013 C7 (Pray it doesn't take any longer!):

http://www.corvetteblog.com/archives/cat-2013-corvette-c7.html

By the way, I'll be at the North American International Automobile Show in January taking photos of, and drooling over, the ZR1 at the press conference.

Thanks, Bill at CorvetteBlog

hoosierdaddy
11-26-07, 04:20 PM
I've hoped this V6 Corvette thread would die, too!

If you're looking to read "the latest and greatest" on upcoming Corvettes, I'm doing my best to post any and all hot breaking news at CorvetteBlog. I have two links, one for the 2009 ZR1:

http://www.corvetteblog.com/archives/cat-2009-corvette-zr1-blue-devil.html

And one for the 2013 C7 (Pray it doesn't take any longer!):

http://www.corvetteblog.com/archives/cat-2013-corvette-c7.html

By the way, I'll be at the North American International Automobile Show in January taking photos of, and drooling over, the ZR1 at the press conference.

Thanks, Bill at CorvetteBlog

Very interesting; it's a rough job :drool: but someone has to do it right? I would think as long as this thread is still of some interest to the membership it will go on or run out of gas at some point.

Redtorcher
01-18-08, 08:42 PM
I test drove the Turbo Solstice and looked at Saturn Sky. The turbo versions both go like stink. But they have, in effect, NO trunk [maybe small duffle bag fits w/ top up] and the a$$end breaks loose big time when you nail it at city speeds. Also, I felt claustophobic when inside the cabin.;shrug They do look great tho!:ohnoes

kingman
01-18-08, 08:58 PM
The way the hp wars are going we are going to have a 800hp machine out there but still will not be able to break 3.5 sec's 0-60 because there isn'ty enough rubber to grab the ground.

It's all about mental masturbation and dick waving.

Alan:beer

naptownfireman
12-05-08, 01:48 PM
Sounds like they want to make a "porsche boxter" type of vehicle. It could work except that they already make a saturn and pontiac version of the car. They need to come up with a totally different vehicle or whats the point?

panzer
12-05-08, 06:10 PM
Sounds like they want to make a "porsche boxter" type of vehicle. It could work except that they already make a saturn and pontiac version of the car. They need to come up with a totally different vehicle or whats the point?

In the proposal by the GM CEO before congress wasn't part of his plan to eliminate Pontiac and Saturn divisions?

motorman
12-05-08, 08:30 PM
as long as GM has V-8 power pickup trucks the corvette will have a V-8 because they are build at the same factory. no more V-8 pickups no more V-8 corvettes simple as that

hoosierdaddy
12-05-08, 08:34 PM
as long as GM has V-8 power pickup trucks the corvette will have a V-8 because they are build at the same factory. no more V-8 pickups no more V-8 corvettes simple as that

Owned 11 new Vettes, might be a record you think?

acme-corvette
12-08-08, 06:40 AM
Corvette wihout a v8 is like a woman w/o tits :beer

excl. 1950s early models ;)

FAAASTJEDI2000
12-25-08, 12:18 AM
don't they call that the V6 Camaro?:rotfl

hoosierdaddy
12-25-08, 10:02 AM
I can deal with a V-6 in the Camaro; but it is still a metal body isn't it? Not seen one yet in person but the pictures look good; nothing wrong with offering a V-6 in it though! But V-8 and Corvette goes together, maybe one day it won't be feasible but I think the V-8 and Corvette will be together for some time yet; like I said before this is not GM's immediate problem!

Kid_Again
12-25-08, 11:31 AM
..the japs get over 300hp out of a regularly aspirated v6 with vvt and you guys are hung up on history.........as long as they don't make the body a porker, the proposed combination sounds like a hell of a car.....i take it you folks have never driven a lotus elise.......a 4 BANGER (toyota, no less) that will keep the grin on your face for quite a while..................................................... OK, LET's REVIEW.....a lotus elise sc does 0-60 in 4.4sec whereas the base corvette is rated at 4.0sec......AND the counter argument would be - history????

FAAASTJEDI2000
12-25-08, 12:37 PM
Not history alone...but styyyyyyyyyyyle.

hoosierdaddy
12-25-08, 12:49 PM
Who cares what the reason is; what is your point? History is what made Corvette what it is today; stuck on it or not! Give me a US built V-8 you can have all the 4-Bangers you want; the horse power is not my issue anyway, nothing sounds or runs like a V-8. Maybe with more support the BIG-3 wouldn't be needing a governement bail out either! I know that's not their only issue but it's some of it! I believe in free trade for the most part; not sure it is two sided; but I believe in supporting my country FIRST!

Don't take this wrong I just had to get it out, :beer but we must agree to disagree!

GerryLP
12-25-08, 02:49 PM
..the japs get over 300hp out of a regularly aspirated v6 with vvt and you guys are hung up on history.........as long as they don't make the body a porker, the proposed combination sounds like a hell of a car.....i take it you folks have never driven a lotus elise.......a 4 BANGER (toyota, no less) that will keep the grin on your face for quite a while..................................................... OK, LET's REVIEW.....a lotus elise sc does 0-60 in 4.4sec whereas the base corvette is rated at 4.0sec......AND the counter argument would be - history????

Kid,

You are generaly correct on those other cars; however, the V8 engine has been the center piece upon which Coverttes have been built. Only the first few Corvette year-models had an in- line six, and we do not doubt that Corvette engineers would be up to the task to make a less-than-V8 engine that could exceed in performance even over the LS7, but this would perhaps morph the Corvette into a different breed of Sports car. I for one, like the idea of naming the version of car being discussed here as the "Corvair". :thumbs

hoosierdaddy
12-25-08, 03:13 PM
Well said GerryLP, maybe I am a history buff and traditional but that is just the way it is!

Hell I could of had a V-8 anytime kind of guy!

VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
01-28-09, 07:43 PM
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/images/design/front/kappa.jpg

In February 2006, Motor Trend published a short article about the Corvette Sting Ray coming back as a V6 powered version of the Kappa platform.

They wrote:

Full Article: Chevrolet Kappa Sting Ray - Spied Vehicles - Motor Trend (http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0602_chevrolet_kappa_sting_ray/index.html)

The rumors are once again getting much stronger!

What are your thoughts on this? Should the Corvette remain V8 powered only, or would a V6 version be ok since the Corvette started out with a V6 back in 1953?
It may have had a SIX-Cylinder in it in '53, But it wasn't a V-6 ( A 60 Degree V6 did not exist then //// It was the "Blue Flame" inline six-cylinder truck engine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine) (235 C.I Blue Flame (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Straight-6_engine#235) I6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-6)) two-speed Powerglide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerglide) automatic transmission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission) and Yeah that might be interesting to see, not sure it should wear the name STINGRAY

hoosierdaddy
01-28-09, 09:54 PM
Interesting article for sure, maybe it won't say Corvette anywhere!

nasajack
04-04-09, 11:13 AM
"There is no replacement for displacement"!

Simple, done...............;squint:

VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
04-04-09, 11:58 AM
Undecided!!! now if they turbocharge the engine that might be interesting!

take the Inline six-cylinder ( 4.2 liter and shoe-horn it in Then it would have a nostalgic feel to it...re-label that Vortec and the a new BLUE FLAME 300 hp I-6...They still have those don't they

njlouc
04-04-09, 12:22 PM
When this 6cyl thread first appeared I said no way to a V6. However in the intervening weeks, there has been serious talks of NO vette at all. So I changed my mind and considered a "low end" vette with the new Camaro V6. All this would be in a C6 real body.
My thought was that the 300HP V6 would be very good and with some major deletes a vette could be had for a VERY cheap MSRP, and somewhat lighter. In other words a stripper Vette - like what was envisioned with the original notchback c5. With that they removed many items and reduced the price by pennies. Not good.
The idea of the rebadging of a Sky/Solstice is absurd.
They could do that now for $50 in badges, who needs that

VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
04-04-09, 12:26 PM
you are right about buying the badges I think with pontiac GONE there is no more solstice and saturn, its a cleaner looking convertible It would be nice to know if that will be available in a coupe( they just started to offer the solstice in a coupe( when you were ordering it) i agree Don't call it a corvette, call it the stingray and have the Mallet V8 option available

njlouc
04-04-09, 07:01 PM
that is very forward thinking!
IF GM gets rid of Pontiac, Saturn, etal - the sky/solstice could be a defacto 6cyl corvette with a fast rebadge. Very sad but possible

redvett
04-05-09, 11:11 AM
With fuel economy CAFE requirements going up in 2011 our choice for the C7 is going to be no Corvette or a V6. The 3.6 DI can make 400+ hp if supercharged or turbocharged. I myself would rather have a C7 V6 than no Corvette at all.
It would be fitting that the Corvette go back to its heritage and have a V6.

GO_VETTE
04-05-09, 11:21 AM
okay let me help GM w/ a clue:
T U R B O C HARG ED!
Porsche has been making power via small motors and Turbos.

Evolution1980
04-05-09, 11:35 AM
T U R B O C H A R G ED!
Porsche has been making power via small motors and Turbos.Nothing wrong for a lil' forced induction! Although supercharging has fewer costs involved across the board. Not many people know that a couple of the '53 and '54 vettes had superchargers! :cool

redvett
04-05-09, 03:45 PM
Nothing wrong for a lil' forced induction! Although supercharging has fewer costs involved across the board. Not many people know that a couple of the '53 and '54 vettes had superchargers! :cool
Actually only one 54 had an aftermarket supercharger.

z06vet2003
04-06-09, 08:45 AM
Strange that GM is talking about moving production of their OTHER 2 seater sports cars to Bowling Green. The caddy XLR production has been cancelled and the car has disappeared from the assembly line at BG. maybe GM is already prepareing for those V-6 cars at BG plant

njlouc
04-06-09, 10:06 AM
If there were a major change in engine or any drive train components I (think) there would have to be a new EPA cert. testing for that configuration. I dont think that you could just dump a V6 in a Vette without it. That said it would have to be in testing now, and I doubt if anyone at EPA could keep that quiet.
Oh BTW if you look in the c7 section of our forum, you will find my older write up of the future C8 which will easily get the MPG that the Feds want!!

z06vet2003
04-06-09, 12:37 PM
You may have mistaken my responce. GM has recently DELAYED the transfer of their other 2 seater sports cars that is the pontiac and saturn. There was serious talk about moving those two cars to Bowling Green Plant. NOW that GM may sell off saturn. It maybe only the Soltice that gets moved to BG along with thier respected work force

Dad2BJO
04-06-09, 10:40 PM
T U R B O C HARG ED!
Porsche has been making power via small motors and Turbos.

GM has a great history with turbocharging. In fact I have a 231 cu. in v6 Turbo in my garage that is quicker than my 350 cu in lt1 AND the v6 is in a car that weighs 3500# AND gets 25 mpg hwy, plus it can seat 5, and carry 2 hockey bags in the trunk with room to spare. Buick was way ahead of it's time with turbocharging and Pontiac has had turbo V8's,and ran the buick 6 in a T/A in 89. and GMC had the Cyclone/Typhoon 4.3 Turbo in the 90's. There was also a sunburd/skyhawk turbo and was there not a fiero turbo??????

IF GM did this "stingray" idea then by all means put a turbo on it and call it a "corvair". Wasnt the corvair built to be a low budget Corvette in the first place? Also I belive some of the Corvairs were turbocharged were they not? Not sure if the platform described in a previous post is the Solstice/sky platform but I dont know why GM would build such a thing since they already have it. Both solstice/sky have a turbo verson now dont they?

Keep the v8 in the Vette. The ZR1 has shown that you can get awesome HP out of a forced induction engine (somthing us Buick boys knew for a long time :) ). Why not a 327 Cu in V8 with a blower? If GM can get the new Camaro to get 25 MPG with a 6.0 V8, then a 327 in a lighter car will get much better.

GM can build all the v6 and 4 cyl turbos they want(a new GN would be way cool! :thumb) but just keep the V8 in the Vette!

z06vet2003
04-06-09, 11:05 PM
The post I made was regarding, the relocation from their current production facilties of the Saturn and pontiac Sky/Soltrice to the Bowling Green Plant to replace the XLR which as been discontinued. Since its appears that GM will sell off Saturn and drop most of the Models for Pontiac.. It seems that the PRESS release for the Bowling Green, Kentucky UAW workers tells the LAID off workers there that these two car models (which are the same) will MOST LIKELY be moved to BG plant as a Pontiac Soltrice.. BUT GM has recently stopped that move temporarily due to Obama request to split the most productive Div. away from GM and make both Chevy & Cadillac controled by the goverment and let GM restructure the rest of GM..
Sooooooo... maybe all this talk about a V6 corvette, is only talk about a V6 2 seater brought to the Bowling Green factory for production beside the current corvette. just like the caddy XLR...use to be... I believe ONLY one, the pontiac Soltrice will REPLACE the XLR as the car to be built on the OLD XLR assembly line at GM

killain
12-22-09, 07:00 AM
Chevy can make whatever sports car they want, but if it's not a RWD V8 with a plastic body then it's not a Corvette.

I already voted, but this makes me sick to even think about again. IF this is what it all boild down to ? Just bite the bullet, close the Bowling Green plant, ( maybe make products for home depot there) but lay off some more people, and re-emerge as a Auto company that builds Cadillac, Buicks and GMC trucks, Do away with dealerships and become a all-mail / internet order car company.

And PS: GM, you've tried all of my patience over the last few years, and have seen the last of my money if you continue ! :bash

raidoman
12-22-09, 08:28 AM
You won't find one in my garage if it is a V6. Hell, I won't buy one anyway since the place is owned by the gov't and union. My next one may be a GT Mustang rather than give any money to that pile of crooked politicians and their lemmings.

njlouc
12-22-09, 11:01 AM
Good news - we are at this time very close to a govt health care vote/enactment. :beer
If that happens ALL of your money will go to paying off the taxes (state and federal) and increased costs on everything. A c7 vette will be the least of your problems. :W
The USA will be known as the place to get free health/life care - you will be spending a ton keeping out the furriners.
It is pretty much that way now we are like disneyworld people come here enjoy the benefits and then leave. Only in this case they dont leave.

BTW dont you feel ashamed that your Vette has killed so many cutesy polar bears??:confused
Vote Democrat they will take care of us all. To the Dems - Merry Christmas.
Trade in your Vette for dominoes.:boogie

Hib Halverson
12-25-09, 10:53 AM
Concerns about the cost of healthcare "reform" and that GM has become a Government-funded jobs program for the UAW aside....

I think a V8-powered Corvette is going to continue in the near future. I also think the car will continue to be built on the C5/C6 architeture for the next few years. The days of powertrains like the 505-hp LS7 and the 638-hp LS9 will be over at the end of the 2010 model year. What might be coming, engine-wise? How 'bout a 7200 rpm, 5.3L engine with a supercharger and 450-500 hp?

The "C7"? I think that project is dead for now...at least in the form many understood to be under development at GM, a mid-engine car.

How about this for a 2016 Corvette...mid-engine, light weight through use of lots of composites and with a series hybrid powertrain using a gas turbine running on diesel fuel to charge the batteries?

Mike G
12-25-09, 04:34 PM
I think NJLouc is right, next gen Vette is gonna be the least of the worries. This country has been destroyed from within and it ain't over yet. We will mostly be concerned with self support and whatever rides we have now will be it. I hope at the end of it all, it will be remembered that the Corvette is the greatest sport car made in the U.S.A. Worldwide respect is a given now and will remain so.

btw - Don't concern yourself with Obamadama - he's a thing that is doing what it's told.

Derek
03-14-10, 04:54 AM
MMMM..the next thing they will tell us that it will be made in japan :puke
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

hoosierdaddy
03-14-10, 09:06 AM
If there is to be a V-6 let them call it something besides a Corvette! I think maybe the Pontiac Soltice could be renamed and offer a 4 clinder and V-6, why not? Not sure GM is in control of this, probably a Obama car czar has the final vote; ya think?

Bill

LT4CE
03-14-10, 04:13 PM
If there is to be a V-6 let them call it something besides a Corvette! I think maybe the Pontiac Soltice could be renamed and offer a 4 clinder and V-6, why not? Not sure GM is in control of this, probably a Obama car czar has the final vote; ya think?

Bill

I sure hope the OCC (Obama car czar) has nothing to do with Corvette, period! :mad

I'm sure someone else has mentioned this, but Chevy needs to take a look at the tally of the votes for this thread.

PLEASE, DON'T DO IT!!! :puke

hoosierdaddy
03-14-10, 05:39 PM
I sure hope the OCC (Obama car czar) has nothing to do with Corvette, period! :mad

I'm sure someone else has mentioned this, but Chevy needs to take a look at the tally of the votes for this thread.

PLEASE, DON'T DO IT!!! :puke

I'm not even convienced Obama or his Car Czar cares if you have a car let alone if Goverment Motors makes the Corvette or puts a V-6 or V-8 either one in it ;shrug

Just make sure you get out there and VOTE this next election :thumb Does anyone out there miss George yet?

LT4CE
03-15-10, 11:06 AM
I'm not even convienced Obama or his Car Czar cares if you have a car let alone if Goverment Motors makes the Corvette or puts a V-6 or V-8 either one in it ;shrug

Just make sure you get out there and VOTE this next election :thumb Does anyone out there miss George yet?

everything will be better as long as the wealth gets spread around a little bit... :bash

jay daley
03-16-10, 09:56 AM
You guys have no imagination. Picture this: a 3 or 3.5 liter direct injected, twin turbocharged or supercharged PUSH ROD V-8 making about 425 hp and 400 foot pounds of torque! I personally am fascinated by the prospect of small displacement V-8's.

Concerns about the cost of healthcare "reform" and that GM has become a Government-funded jobs program for the UAW aside....

I think a V8-powered Corvette is going to continue in the near future. I also think the car will continue to be built on the C5/C6 architeture for the next few years. The days of powertrains like the 505-hp LS7 and the 638-hp LS9 will be over at the end of the 2010 model year. What might be coming, engine-wise? How 'bout a 7200 rpm, 5.3L engine with a supercharger and 450-500 hp?

The "C7"? I think that project is dead for now...at least in the form many understood to be under development at GM, a mid-engine car.

How about this for a 2016 Corvette...mid-engine, light weight through use of lots of composites and with a series hybrid powertrain using a gas turbine running on diesel fuel to charge the batteries?