PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Ask Chief Engineer, Dave Hill Anything...

Rob
06-24-04, 10:38 AM
...what would it be?

We have a chance to conduct an interview with Dave Hill, Corvette's Chief Engineer. If you had the chance to ask him anything about the new C6 Corvette, what would it be? Please number your questions.

We will choose the three best questions, post them here, and Hib Halverson will conduct the interview and write a review.

theblackvette
06-24-04, 10:41 AM
Is GM gonna do something about the front plate design for the C6?

...what would it be?

We have a chance to conduct an interview with Dave Hill, Corvette's Chief Enginneer. If you had the chance to ask him anything about the new C6 Corvette, what would it be? Please number your questions.

We will choose the three best questions, post them here, and Hib Halverson will conduct the interview and write a review.

Buster1
06-24-04, 10:56 AM
From a design standpoint, what considerations were looked at in old Corvettes (body shape, technology, gauges, tranny, engine) that you wanted to incorporate into the C6???

shopman1
06-24-04, 11:11 AM
Is GM gonna do something about the front plate design for the C6?
This is what I would ask as well.

Erik S. Klein
06-24-04, 11:17 AM
Can you tell us anything at all about plans for a world-beater supercar based on the Corvette?

vettej1
06-24-04, 11:59 AM
Of all the production Corvettes from '53 to today, which is your favorite, and why?

Buster1
06-24-04, 12:53 PM
Tastes great or less filling?

Edmond
06-24-04, 01:51 PM
Can you tell us anything at all about plans for a world-beater supercar based on the Corvette?
I second that!

Erik S. Klein
06-24-04, 03:42 PM
Another question: Why can't we mix and match engine options and body styles like we could in earlier generations (C1-C3)?

A good corollary, why aren't there more engine options?

I'd love to have a Z06 convertible, for instance. . . a BB convertible with a supercharger would be even better! :)

As the question with an annoying whine for best effect! :P

Corvette Junkie
06-24-04, 05:17 PM
In the chart below that was shown by Dave Hill at this year's Birthday Bash, there is a comparison of the LS2 and LS6. The torque curve comparison shows the LS2 having 400 foot pounds of torque and the LS6 having 390 foot pounds of torque. In all the literature on the Z06 since the beginning of the 2002 model year it's been stated the the Z06 LS6 had 400 foot pounds of torque. I would like to hear his response on where the other foot pounds of torque for the LS6 went.
http://www.c6-corvette.net/chart.jpg

DRTH VTR
06-25-04, 01:43 PM
What do you see as the future direction(s) for the Corvette?

Yoda
06-26-04, 09:47 AM
My question would be:

What impact has Lutz had on the Corvette Design Team, and has Lutz expressed any direction for future Corvette Development?

Bud

Patrick
06-26-04, 09:56 AM
My question would be:

What impact has Lutz had on the Corvette Design Team, and has Lutz expressed any direction for future Corvette Development?

Bud
Although I also like BlackVette's question, let me add to Bud's question a bit:

Is there any indication on the longevity of the C6 design? In other words, how likely is it that we would ever see a body design that had the longevity of the C4 (12 years)?

-Patrick

Brett
06-26-04, 11:25 AM
How much life do you think push-rod technology has left?

And like CoRed, I am also verio curious what he thinks the lifespan of the current design will be.

WhalePirot
06-27-04, 01:22 PM
Why can't we mix and match engine options and body styles, or at least order the Vette I have wanted for 5 years; a Z06 Vert??

#6....Will there be a 7? :w

doylede
06-27-04, 11:02 PM
I have only one question.

Owning a 2000 C5 and having driven a 2003 Z06 from a local dealer, I ask why the new Corvette can't have the suspension and regular tires that were on the 2003 Z06?

That suspension and ride was so superior to my C5 and my friends Boxster that we couldn't believe it.

Don

Rob
06-28-04, 11:39 AM
Time is up.

aussiejohn
10-28-05, 08:02 AM
My prelude is this:-

There is no doubt that the Corvette is the best sports car in America, and arguably one of the best in Europe, but it is not the best sports car in the world. It never will be either, as it is not built for a world market. Only when the Corvette is factory built Right Hand Drive (as well as LHD) will it be able to be considered eligible to qualify for this honour. Every European and Japanese sports car worth its name is built both LHD and RHD and most of them are available for sale in Australia at factory showrooms. A basic Porsche Boxster retails at over AU$100,000 while a 911 Carrera is approaching a quarter of a million. A Lamborghini Gallardo with 368 Kilowatts is AU$400,000, a Honda S2000 is AU$72,000 and up. Even the Mazda MX-5 (Miata) starts at AU$43,000.

With the AU$1.00 worth about US$0.75, you can see that we are paying top dollar for cars most of which would only see the Corvette's taillights if their owners were naive enough to try one on. Ford Australia even dabbled with the Mustang a few years ago, but made the mistake of bringing them into Australia LHD and converting them to RHD using locally sourced components. They went on sale at Ford dealerships for around AU$75,000 if memory serves correctly. Needless to say, they weren't a hit with the local Ford enthusiasts. They could buy a locally built Falcon four door sedan with the same engine for half the price and better handling, and they did!

So my question is this:-

Do you foresee a Right Hand Drive version of the Corvette any time soon? And if so, will some be built to Australian Design Rules for sale through GM-Holden dealers throughout Australia?

Thank you for the opportunity to ask Mr. Hill.

Regards from Down Under

John Smith aka aussiejohn