PDA

View Full Version : My New Garage

Dave L.
05-17-04, 09:20 PM
After many,many months of planning..My new garage is under way. Lori wants a house attached also. Details..1200 sq ft insulated/heated garage (6 bay)floor drains,220 etc. House will be 2800 sq ft. I'll post a photo every once in a while.

RfirstVette
05-17-04, 09:23 PM
Wow ! Sounds Great ! We "finished" our 30 x 50 last fall and it is already too small.

68Roadster
05-17-04, 09:55 PM
Congrats Dave,
I'm trying to con mine into a nice little 19x31 so I can get the boat out of my Vette habitat.
Why is it that guys always need more garage than house?? I could do with a bathroom and bedroom, all that other stuff is just more to keep up!

If you get the wife to go for the lift, let me know the excuse path.......may come in handy.

Cee

Dave L.
05-18-04, 08:31 AM
Cee- For now,she's put a halt to garage spending until she gets all her kitchen needs met.

Thumper
05-18-04, 09:20 AM
Careful, after she has her kitchen needs met, then their "needs" turn to other rooms with no regard to garage necessities. It's a delicate negotiation period when you've only got so much $$ to get the house built. Once it is built, it won't be long before you begin to think what you'd do differently should you build again. I should not have given in as easy as I did when I built my garage(house attached). I could sure use those two extra bays that I gave up for hardwood floors....live and learn.

JohnZ
05-18-04, 02:15 PM
When we built our new home four years ago, we struck a deal - I suggested "You design the house, whatever you want, and I'll design the garage, whatever I want"; she thought that was a great plan and bought into it, with only one rule - the garage can't be bigger than the house. She got her 3300, I got my 2600, we're both happy :D

mqqn
05-18-04, 09:01 PM
After many,many months of planning..My new garage is under way. Lori wants a house attached also. Details..1200 sq ft insulated/heated garage (6 bay)floor drains,220 etc. House will be 2800 sq ft. I'll post a photo every once in a while.
Hi BURGLAR -

That sounds like a very nice garage...I kinda have the same deal - a big garge with an attached house...

best regards -

mqqn

Dave L.
05-19-04, 08:59 PM
mqqn- It's going to be nice having the garage attached to the house. My present garage is detached. Whats the size of your garage? I only wish I could approach the size and granduer of JohnZ's garage. He's got the best setup I've ever seen! I'll be happy having nice big warm garage to work in all winter.

JohnZ- Actually,Lori's given me pretty much free will in this whole deal. She also was concerned the house didn't appear smaller than the garage. I did tell Lori that the only 'space' she can have in MY garage is the parking space for her car...thats IT.

bossvette
05-19-04, 09:39 PM
I know what you mean "if I could do it again". I have a 2 car attached garage that is my wifes domain and for me its a 30x48 pole barn which someday will be finished and insulated. I wish I had gone 14 feet high instead of 10 and known enough to insulate under the floor.http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/222440/DSC01617.JPGNot as fancy as most, but I don't have to worry about spills or paint on the floor;LOL

If you get the wife to go for the lift, let me know the excuse path.......may come in handy.
Mine got her deck and hot tub paid for by you know who:D

Dave L.
05-20-04, 06:44 AM
Looks like a nice shop to me bossvette...lots of room.

bossvette
05-20-04, 08:39 AM
Looks like a nice shop to me bossvette...lots of room.
;LOL you should have seen it two weeks ago, before spring cleaning, the bigger the barn the more junk you collect ;LOL I am 45 mins from Cruise-Fest 2004 (http://corvetteactioncenter.com/events/cruisefest/) so I took time to clean up a little "just in case someone broke down and needed repairs done"

ccflorida
05-20-04, 09:24 AM
Hi Dave,
Glad to hear your new home is started.. Sounds great..

JohnZ
05-20-04, 03:36 PM
JohnZ- Actually,Lori's given me pretty much free will in this whole deal. She also was concerned the house didn't appear smaller than the garage. I did tell Lori that the only 'space' she can have in MY garage is the parking space for her car...thats IT.My wife was delighted that we were finally going to have a nice, big garage so her car could be parked indoors - our daily drivers had sat outside in the rain, snow, and ice for 30 years because my projects had always occupied our various 2-1/2-car garages in past homes. Now that she doesn't have to scrape ice and shovel snow, she's happy :D

Dave L.
05-27-04, 09:29 PM
The garage/house footers and walls are now complete as of today. I think I'm going to like the size of this garage.

Dave

JohnZ
05-28-04, 03:11 PM
Looks great! Now is the time to review your plumbing/electrical/mechanical needs again, before the floor and walls go up - those issues are a LOT less expensive to deal with at the stud stage than after the garage is up and you decide to change something.

:beer

Goose
06-15-04, 01:40 PM
I have a 30x50 in which I have two 7 foot garage doors and one 8 foot garage door. I have it dry walled and painted along with ref, satalitte T.V. and a couch, next year we are remolding our kitchen and I am going to put the old kitchen cabinets, counters with sink and stove in my shop. Man what a DOGHOUSE!! I love being in it.

Goose

Dave L.
06-15-04, 01:45 PM
Yes Goose,thats the kind of doghouse I have in mind !

Dave

Dave L.
06-17-04, 09:23 PM
My garage is taking shape. I should have some roof trusses tomorrow.

Dave

Thumper
06-17-04, 10:45 PM
Looks good! :beer Can't wait to see the progress in a few weeks.

Dave L.
06-18-04, 09:38 PM
I had all the trusses and most of the roof go up today! This is exciting!

mqqn
06-19-04, 02:47 AM
mqqn- It's going to be nice having the garage attached to the house. My present garage is detached. Whats the size of your garage? I only wish I could approach the size and granduer of JohnZ's garage. He's got the best setup I've ever seen! I'll be happy having nice big warm garage to work in all winter.

JohnZ- Actually,Lori's given me pretty much free will in this whole deal. She also was concerned the house didn't appear smaller than the garage. I did tell Lori that the only 'space' she can have in MY garage is the parking space for her car...thats IT.
Hi BURGLAR -

I have a 21X21 attached to a 19.5X35 - here is a link to pics...
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/mqqn/garage.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/mqqn/garage2.html

Now I am "decorating"...lol

best regards -

mqqn

Dave L.
06-19-04, 06:56 AM
Very nice job!! I'm considering using the U-Coat floor coating also. Some sort of mid-rise lift is in my future plans. My 'finance minister' said I need to wait until next year for the lift.

Dave

mqqn
06-20-04, 01:09 AM
Very nice job!! I'm considering using the U-Coat floor coating also. Some sort of mid-rise lift is in my future plans. My 'finance minister' said I need to wait until next year for the lift.

Dave
Hi BURGLAR - yes, you do not want to tick-off the treasurer...lol.

I have only had one spot look bad so far on the UCoatit - it is pretty durable - but I would do two coats of color- one thin, then one good heavy coat - skip the UGloss - too slippery...it is fine with just the color and the fleck IMO.

best regards-

mqqn

Dave L.
06-20-04, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the advice on the floor coating. Do you still need to use the (muriatic?) acid on the conrete before using the U-coat even though its a brand new floor?

Dave

mqqn
06-20-04, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the advice on the floor coating. Do you still need to use the (muriatic?) acid on the conrete before using the U-coat even though its a brand new floor?

Dave
I would say yes, if only just to make the warranty valid as Ucoatit calls for that step as part of the application process.

Key thing is mist the floor with water - if you see any spots where the water beads, then you must address that spot before you can proceed.

You must have two or three days of controlled temps, as the bonding process is chemical, not mechanical, and if you wait too long between coats, you will be required to sand and start over with color...

I see that Sherwin Williams is in the epoxy garage floor business now - and I have a whole other side of the garage with plain old concrete...I think I'll try one of the less expensive do it yourself kits this time around...

best regards -

mqqn

06-20-04, 09:18 PM
Congrats on the new garage !

Dave L.
06-24-04, 09:49 PM
Garage doors on and roof completed. Floor drains are in also. Reinforced concrete floor with moisture barrier next.

Dave

Guy
06-25-04, 05:54 AM
Dave,

Sounds like everything will be done in time for the big party when we come down August 26-29. ;LOL

Good luck with the new house and that other "small" event in your life ;).

:w
Guy

Bob Chadwick
06-25-04, 06:29 AM
Looking good Dave. I'm jealous. Our two car garage just isn't enough with three cars and a ping pong table. I see a seperate garage door there. Can I say wife's car?

Whats this about another small event in your life?

Dave L.
06-25-04, 09:04 PM
That little garage door is for the 1 parking spot Lori gets (I've claimed the other 5) . Its just a few steps from the kitchen door so grocery unloading will be easy for her. The 'little thing' going on in September is our wedding. Yes,after 8 years of 'dating' she has finally decided to marry me. My mother has warned her repeatedly to reconsider,but she is going to marry me anyway. We are hoping for the house to be done Sept-early Oct. The house is about 4 miles from the Holiday Inn many of you are staying at in Aug.

Take care.... Dave

Guy
06-26-04, 06:36 AM
Good things happen to good people - congrats, Dave! We'll have to celebrate early ;LOL.

See you soon, :w
Guy

Bob Chadwick
06-26-04, 06:45 AM
Congrats Dave. I've been married for 12 years with one child. Best time of my life. Of course everyone says I got the better end of that deal. :L

Dave L.
06-26-04, 09:14 AM
thanks Bob and Guy.

Dave

Dave L.
07-19-04, 09:45 PM
Drywall is hung and all electric is complete. The electrician said I've got more wiring in the garage then the 1st floor of the house. He put in a seperate sub panel for the garage. AC & heater units will go in soon.

Dave

mqqn
07-19-04, 09:54 PM
Hi Burglar -

Looking great!! Since my contractor dropped the ball on my garage, I had to do the finish work myself - that was a pain...especially with the high ceiling...

Thanks for keeping us updated! It is nice to "live vicariously" through your reports...lol

I actually had one jerk on another forum post that I was just bragging and rubbing peoples noses in my garage...what a maroon.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that you already have some posters for those great white expanses of wall...

best regards -

mqqn

attret00
07-19-04, 10:02 PM
What a beauty BURGLAR. I was really proud of my 20' x 20' that I just sheetrocked until I saw this and read of all the other guys. Oh well, I can live a
dream thru you guys. WAY TO GO!!!:D

Dave L.
08-24-04, 06:01 AM
My garage is almost finished. I was painting last weekend and the heat and AC are in. I'll be hanging all my light fixtures and finish painting the cieling in the next several weeks. We hope to move-in in about a month.

Dave

Tweek
08-24-04, 07:18 AM
Ok Dave what did you do, up and move? That can't be the same place I was at!

Ron

Dave L.
08-24-04, 08:56 AM
Hi Ron- We built a new house behind Armitage Golf Course off Orrs Bridge Road.

Dave

Rowdy1
08-24-04, 09:22 AM
Three or four years ago driving down Rt.11 outside Carlisle seeing this guy in a C3 weaving in & out of traffic trying to get up next to me. When he finally did, he shouts over, "Hey! You must be Rowdy from CAC, I'm Burglar!". We met later that day and the next at the fairgrounds with a bunch of others. It's been an amazing journey to meet the folks from CAC and share their dreams and our common love for the Corvette. Since then I've met SO MANY more great people from CAC and create so many memories, with more to come.
It's always a pleasure to see one's pride and joy goe from dream to reality and to be able to share it with them as so many of us like to do here in CAC.
My congrats to you & Lori on the new house, playpen and the wedding. "Hope " to see you in Carlisle in a couple days, I'm going to do my best to make it.

Tweek
08-24-04, 09:43 AM
Congrats Dave, everything looks great! If you need any help with things, I'm in the masonry biz let me know
Ron

Dave L.
08-24-04, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words Rowdy. Thanks for the offer Ron.

surferdave
11-23-04, 01:52 AM
I'll give you an excuse. I have a 96 that she watched me put a catback exhaust system under while on 4 2-ton hyd jacks and she said never again. ( I had to work on my back with car 3 inches off my face ) When I crawled out and made the comment if this thing fell, I'd be dead before you could get me out, she beat me to the internet looking for lifts...........safety first.
dave