PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have this problem?

FirstVette
04-29-04, 10:30 AM
The underside of my hood has two small paint chips in the middle near the edges. One on each side. Apparently every time I close the hood it chips the paint. In fact it's white where it is chipped. Anyone else with an 03 Vette have this problem. The dealer is going to fix it of course, but I was just wondering if this is common or just my vette.

Vic

Remo
04-29-04, 01:28 PM
Vic,

I haven't had that problem with mine. However I wanted to tell you what a great ride you have. The paint color on the AE is over the top and in my opinion one of the best Corvette colors ever. Love the car. Hope to see you at Carlisle in August.

Remo:cool

FirstVette
04-29-04, 02:03 PM
Remo,

Thanks. I like the color too.

Well maybe it is just the 03 vettes or maybe just mine. Either way they are fixing it.

Is the Carlisle event a big deal? Being new to this I really don't know much about it.

Vic

Remo
04-29-04, 02:34 PM
Vic,

Carlisle is a great weekend if you're a real Vette nut. Imagine the biggest lawn party you've ever attended - now multiply by ten and add about 3,000 Corvettes. Lot's to look at, plenty of friendly Vette owners and every major vendor known to the Vette world. Not to mention the NCRS and GM tents. August 27th - 29th.
Remo:cool

slong
04-29-04, 03:32 PM
Don't have that problem on my 03Z. Can you post a pic of it?

Blade
04-29-04, 03:41 PM
Do not have that problem on my 03 Annie.

Maybe you have something out of alginment.

I will do some checking with other AE owners.

Guy
04-29-04, 04:46 PM
Vic- Here's one picture from last year's Carlisle.

http://webpages.charter.net/ggwright/panorama.jpg

Z06nut
04-29-04, 09:01 PM
Do you have a picture of the problem?

FirstVette
04-30-04, 08:39 AM
Vic- Here's one picture from last year's Carlisle.

http://webpages.charter.net/ggwright/panorama.jpg
Well that's a heck of a lot of Vettes in one place!!

Vic

FirstVette
04-30-04, 08:40 AM
Don't have that problem on my 03Z. Can you post a pic of it?
I don't have one yet. I'll take pic this weekend and post it Monday.

Vic

Blade
05-03-04, 03:11 PM
While were waiting on that picture, I have to ask....

Do you know if the Shock Stuffers were removed on your AE?

:confused

Tuna
05-03-04, 03:24 PM
I haven't noticed any problem with mine either. Maybe I'm missing something. That picture would be nice.

FirstVette
05-04-04, 09:21 AM
While were waiting on that picture, I have to ask....

Do you know if the Shock Stuffers were removed on your AE?

:confusedSorry folks I was away this weekend and didn't get a chance to take a pic. I'll try to get one tonight and post tomorrow.

I don't know if the shock stuffers were removed. Is that something that's easy to see by looking??

Blade
05-04-04, 09:43 AM
Get down behind the back of the car and look at the shocks. If you find a yellow plastic strip hanging out of the dust boot, you still have the shock stuffers in place. Take it back to the dealer and have them remove them.

More info:
http://www.50thregistry.com/technical/shocks/Shock%20Stuffers.jpg

http://www.50thregistry.com/technical/shocks/shock%20stuffers2.jpg

FirstVette
05-05-04, 08:30 AM
Here's the picture of the right side. LEft looks exactly the same.

http://img58.photobucket.com/albums/v176/vxvett/Vette_005.jpg

Vic

Blade
05-05-04, 10:12 AM
Somewhat hard to tell from your picture, so I went and looked at my Annie.

Check along the rubber gasket where the quarter panel meets the frame and make sure a screw that holds the front quarter panel is not too high. That is about the only item that could be causing this chip.

If your hood was out of alignment then you would be getting a longer rub and chip area and they would not be at the same place on each side of the hood.

Try closing the hood and watch to see what comes in contact with the chipped area.

Jackred
05-05-04, 11:02 AM
I have a 98 red coupe and that happen to me on the driver side and I found that I had lifted the wiper up with the hood down.

FirstVette
05-05-04, 12:13 PM
Check along the rubber gasket where the quarter panel meets the frame and make sure a screw that holds the front quarter panel is not too high.
The body shop told me that the screw head that is right under the chip, (same position on both sides of hood), must be too high. Thier solution is to remove the screws in question on both sides and replace them with a lower profile screw head that he will get from the local hardware store. Then touch it up.

I just thought it odd that it was on both sides and wondered if others were having this problem too or if it is unique to mine.

I was thinking of just putting a small piece of a foam or thin rubber material on the screw heads rather than replacing screws.

Vic

Fifty by Fifty
05-08-04, 10:59 PM
I don 't have that problem either. Good luck witht he dealer repair :cry I hope it all comes out perfect!

J. Graves
05-12-04, 11:52 PM
My C5 is in the shop to have the computer harness under the battery (bad location) replaced. Seems the vibration on the + terminal of side post batteries causes a seal break and acid or fumes or both get to the wiring connections to the computer. A very expensive repair. Has this happened to many and has GM covered the cost under either the standard or extended warranty? I have heard that some GM trucks had this problem and switched to a top post battery to prevent acid leakage.

Any help to get warranty coverage would be appreciated.

J. Graves

DRTH VTR
05-13-04, 05:43 PM
This is a very common problem with older C5's. I had the battery in my '97 leak into the harness, where it destroyed a vacuum line that played a part in a/c control.

J. Graves
05-13-04, 11:38 PM
Should the warranty cover this battery leakage if due to a design problem i.e. battery location, stress from positive lead(part of car, not battery warranty) and wrong type of battery for location(side terminal)?