PDA

View Full Version : New Owner - Cup Holder Question

FmrMarauder
04-21-04, 08:27 PM
Howdy.

I picked up a new 2004 Coupe a couple of weeks ago and have been checking out this website (how cool this joint is!).

Cabin space is a bit short compared to my last vehicle (2003 Merc Marauder) and I'm still stowing gear.

I've seen a couple of accessory cup holders at Corvette Central; one attaches to the passenger door via velcro, the other mounts a twin holder into the existing holder via a screw mount.

Has anyone used either (or both) of these units? Any comments on them?

I did find that by taking out the ashtray my Sears garage door opener fit neatly into the cavity (and then found out that ya'll were ahead of me on that one! And I was so pleased with myself...).

Oh - has anyone come up with a place to store sunglasses besides the central console?

Thanks a bunch.

Jim

67HEAVEN
04-21-04, 08:32 PM
Jim,

I can't help you with the cupholders, but welcome to :CAC

http://www.computersupport.ca/Restoration/RebuildOfALegend-home-400a.jpg

FmrMarauder
04-21-04, 08:55 PM
Thanks!

I'm taking some heat for trading in the Marauder on the Corvette so I've been using the forum as a refuge ;) .

Jim

Ed02
04-22-04, 08:28 AM
Jim,
Welcome to the CAC. I have the twin holder that I bought from Mid America. I'm sure it's the same one you saw. Screws into the existing cup holder. It works good, we only use it when we take a trip, since both of us usually have a cup of coffee or something. I pulled up the rubber insert in the cupholder and screw the double in. When we're not using the double holder I put the rubber piece back in an you don't see the hole from the screw. Hope it helps.
Ed

FmrMarauder
04-22-04, 10:19 AM
Thanks a lot - that answers one of my questions. I've been a bit reluctant to start making holes in the new car, but your solution seems to cover (groan!) that.

Life will be a bit easier if I can have his/her cup holders. Horsepower went up by 50, but storage space dropped by 2/3 after the car swap and I'm already hearing about not having luggage space when the targa is in the trunk....

Jim

Pac-man
04-22-04, 11:51 AM
I did the exact same thing that ed02 does, but, there is a better one out there, maybee ecklers, that slides in on the left pass. side foot well with no drilling and it does'nt get in the way like the one first mentioned. My point is keep looking.

FmrMarauder
04-22-04, 01:43 PM
I did the exact same thing that ed02 does, but, there is a better one out there, maybee ecklers, that slides in on the left pass. side foot well with no drilling and it does'nt get in the way like the one first mentioned. My point is keep looking.
Yep, I saw that one online too. I was a little concerned about taking up leg room on the passenger side (right now I'm trying not to irritate the passenger too much :) ) . I kinda like the one that attaches to the passenger door but am not totally convinced that the Velcro backing can be removed w/o damaging the door.

I really hope the C6's have two cup holders - I never expected to spend this much time on this particular task!

Fun car, tho. I drove it in to work today instead of the daily driver...

Like you say, best to keep looking for a day or three.

Jim

Pac-man
04-22-04, 03:03 PM
The one that screws in is very intrusive to the pass.

Daryllawman
04-22-04, 03:28 PM
:w Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.......Congrats on your Vette....Remember to keep the SHINY side up and the not so SHINY side down.....Enjoy !!!!!!!!

FmrMarauder
04-22-04, 03:56 PM
The one that screws in is very intrusive to the pass.
That's what the photos looked like. Thanks for confirming.

Jim

FmrMarauder
04-22-04, 03:59 PM
:w Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.......Congrats on your Vette....Remember to keep the SHINY side up and the not so SHINY side down.....Enjoy !!!!!!!!

Thanks! (I've only rolled 1 car, years ago, a T-Bird and don't care to repeat the experience ;) ).

Lot's of LEO's in the Marauder.net forum - guess that car feels like home to guys and gals who spend a lot of time in a Crown Vic!

Jim

singledad_9
04-22-04, 04:23 PM
Welcome. As far as cup holders, I let her hold her own cup when I'm driving.

powderski13
04-22-04, 04:29 PM
I have the cup holder that velco's to the left door. It works fine for normal driving conditions (no boost!!). It was one of my first mods.

miskowitch
04-22-04, 04:39 PM
Here is a link with a picture of the cup holder that slides next to the console. I have one and it works well. Actually this is a picture of my car, I've been helping with this website.

http://www.corvettecentercos.com/coolstuff.htm

For sunglasses I bought one of these at a local sporting goods store:

http://epromos-com.store.yahoo.net/epromos-com/promotional-car-visor-sunglass-eyewear-clip.html

It works really well.

FmrMarauder
04-22-04, 07:48 PM
Welcome. As far as cup holders, I let her hold her own cup when I'm driving.
LOL!

Thanks for the welcome!

Jim

FmrMarauder
04-22-04, 07:52 PM
I have the cup holder that velco's to the left door. It works fine for normal driving conditions (no boost!!). It was one of my first mods.
I ordered one this afternoon - figuring that if I don't like I can either send it back or find someone with a 'Vette that wants it. My only concern (other than appearance, and form follows function here) is removing it from the door panel and having the Velcro ruin the door panel...but if I never take it off, how will I know? ;)

Thanks for the info.

No worries on the boost...the Marauder need NoX, but this car seems fine w/o it so far....

Jim

FmrMarauder
04-22-04, 07:56 PM
Here is a link with a picture of the cup holder that slides next to the console. I have one and it works well. Actually this is a picture of my car, I've been helping with this website.

http://www.corvettecentercos.com/coolstuff.htm

For sunglasses I bought one of these at a local sporting goods store:

http://epromos-com.store.yahoo.net/epromos-com/promotional-car-visor-sunglass-eyewear-clip.html

It works really well.
Thanks for the photos! I've ordered in one of the "Velcros to the door panel" jobs to take a personal look-see. You don't find that the one in your car intrudes on the passenger? On the sunglasses, I'm an idiot. I have one of those thingies around the basement somewhere - I got it from a vendor last fall at an event I attended and forgot all about it! Your photo immediately brought it to mind.

Is this forum great or what?? I've gotta get a check out to these folks. Great stuff here.

Jim

justafamilyman
04-22-04, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the photos! I've ordered in one of the "Velcros to the door panel" jobs to take a personal look-see. You don't find that the one in your car intrudes on the passenger? On the sunglasses, I'm an idiot. I have one of those thingies around the basement somewhere - I got it from a vendor last fall at an event I attended and forgot all about it! Your photo immediately brought it to mind.

Is this forum great or what?? I've gotta get a check out to these folks. Great stuff here.

Jim
Hi Jim,
I took the velcro route. I think it looks good. One of my brothers gave the "optional" cup holder a "test drive" when we went out to get coffee. The unit worked well. And, as an added bonus, the "optional" cup holder didn't seem to take up that much space. Just my $0.02.
Blue Borg Brian 1 of 58

67HEAVEN
04-22-04, 10:23 PM
I took this shot during a tour of the Cup Holders Section at Carlisle...
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bob-johnston/CupHolders-400.jpg

;LOL

tomls1
04-28-04, 07:20 PM
I did the exact same thing that ed02 does, but, there is a better one out there, maybee ecklers, that slides in on the left pass. side foot well with no drilling and it does'nt get in the way like the one first mentioned. My point is keep looking.firstly...welcome to the cac. this place is a wealth of info, and the members are cool!!!:cool

i had the dual screw in type and i never really liked the way it looked and my passengers often complained about it getting in the way of the left leg. i removed it and bought the one mentioned in the quote above. it's awesome!!! looks good and it's removable in less then a second. if you aren't happy with the velcro one, i totally recommend this one.

msip
04-28-04, 09:06 PM
I have the Velcro-to-the-door one. Got it at the Museum during delivery for the ride home. It has fallen off in the Texas heat a couple of times (without anything in it). It spills drinks out if you turn too hard (so don't do that, duh?) and if an empty can is in it, it rattles mercilessly.

I will probably try the kind that sticks on the console (not that screws in) next. To be honest, it's going to be difficult to find a good one...:eyerole

FWIW...Mark

Roadfrog
04-28-04, 10:29 PM
I've found my wife to be the best cup holder I've found so far. :L

Howdy.

I picked up a new 2004 Coupe a couple of weeks ago and have been checking out this website (how cool this joint is!).

Cabin space is a bit short compared to my last vehicle (2003 Merc Marauder) and I'm still stowing gear.

I've seen a couple of accessory cup holders at Corvette Central; one attaches to the passenger door via velcro, the other mounts a twin holder into the existing holder via a screw mount.

Has anyone used either (or both) of these units? Any comments on them?

I did find that by taking out the ashtray my Sears garage door opener fit neatly into the cavity (and then found out that ya'll were ahead of me on that one! And I was so pleased with myself...).

Oh - has anyone come up with a place to store sunglasses besides the central console?

Thanks a bunch.

Jim