PDA

View Full Version : OK, need technical help on this...

RedRagTop
04-15-04, 08:18 AM
Spring has sprung here finally and it is time to bring her out of storage. Last year I had a surging condition later in the season (cool weather) that resulted in sticking WOT twice. Each time I was able to allow the throttle to release on its own after a couple of seconds but it is disconcerting and has to be addressed. I over oiled the K&N:nono :Buttslap :duh when I first bought it and as a result had to change my MAF relays. Is there a chance that some oil was sucked through and is now causing something to stick? Is it just build-up that can be cleaned out? Anyone ever have this happen?
Looking for advice...
Thanks
RJS

RedRagTop
04-15-04, 12:18 PM
No bites?

Tuna
04-15-04, 12:20 PM
I'd start by cleaning the throttle body. Any oil from the K&N plus any soot may be clogging the Idle Air Circuit and jaming the shaft on the butterfly.

RedRagTop
04-15-04, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Tuna, I think you may be right. From what I understand, these things should be periodically cleaned anyways, right?
Much to it? I should be starting on her next week...

MBDiagMan
04-15-04, 02:09 PM
Are you SURE that it is jamming wide open throttle? It is common for the throttle shafts and body to wear out causing a very high idle, but sticking WIDE OPEN?

If it is that bad, you can clean it, but you really need a throttle body. Mine is worn out, but it will only idle up to about 2,000 at most and blipping the throttle will return it to near idle.

If you buy a new throttle body, get one of the aftermarket ones with ball bearing throttle shafts. They should last forever.

Good luck,

RedRagTop
04-15-04, 02:14 PM
Thanks, Doc. I did a search on the forum here and got over 10 pages of posts related to this problem including a few describing exactly what I'm talkin' 'bout:duh and I think it is the gunk built up in my butterfly pipes. This is causing the throttle to jam when I floor it past the usual travel point. I will be yanking it off to clean, I saw some pics here that shows how gummed they can get...

MBDiagMan
04-15-04, 03:04 PM
If you decide to clean it, COMPLETE disassembly and then soaking in old fashioned, caustic carb cleaner is the best way to get it TOTALLY clean. I hope it works for you.

Good luck,

RedRagTop
04-16-04, 07:03 AM
Thanks. I don't think it needs replacement as the car is not a high miler and the idle is fine. I will know more when I pop it off this weekend...