PDA

View Full Version : Which tires should I go with?

Kevin McGrade
04-08-04, 05:59 PM
OK I need 2 rear tires and they have the stock goodyear f1 emt's
If I switch from the stock goodyears I am assuming I will ne to get matching fronts.Here are my choices: all from the tire rack of course http://www.corvetteforum.cc/zeroimg/smilies/smile.gif...or is there a better place?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST (Ultra High Performance Summer)

Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Front: 245/45-17 RunFlat
WR Speed Rated Price: $245.00 (each)

Rear: 275/40-18
WR Speed Rated Price: $296.00 (each)

Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP RFT (Ultra High Performance Summer)

ZR Speed Rated Price: $234.00 (each)

ZR Speed Rated Price: $299.00 (each)

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS EMT (Ultra High Performance Summer)

YR Speed Rated Price: $266.00 (each)

YR Speed Rated Price: $331.00 (each)

Kumho Ecsta MX (Max Performance Summer)

YR Speed Rated Price: $159.00 (each)

YR Speed Rated Price: $217.00 (each)

Guy
04-09-04, 07:46 AM
Kevin,

I wondered about this too so I did a search in the C5 section for "tires". There is another option: Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season Zero Pressure $224 & $321 on the tirerack.com . Sounds like they are less noisy than the GY EMT's too.

:w
Guy

c5vetter
04-09-04, 08:53 AM
put the Firehawks on my 1999 coupe and they were considerably quieter than the GY's - wet traction was awesome!

Craig-o
04-15-04, 06:19 PM
I just replaced the OEM tires on my 2001 convertible with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's and LOVE THEM! I use my car as a daily driver, and found these tires to be much quieter, and stickier than the EMTs. The only downside is the risk with no spare, but I have a 12v compressor, and a repair kit that'll get me home - or at least to the nearest garage.

As for Tire Rack, I got out the door for about $875, including mounting and balancing at my local Goodyear Tire Center. That was less than the Tire Rack wanted for the tires alone. I was shocked. Equally shocking was that the rears cost less than the front. So, shop around, and don't assume Tire Rack is your best deal.

Tuna
04-16-04, 07:26 AM
If I have a vote, I vote for the Michilen Pilot Sport ZP's. If I needed tires right now for my 03, those are the ones I'd buy.

skremese
04-16-04, 10:28 AM
I put the Firehawks on my 2000 Coupe and have put about 8000 miles on them so far - they have been great. First thing I notice was how much quieter they are than the Goodyear OEMs. For a daily driver this would be a positive thing!

For wet, I don't usually drive the Vette in rain but got caught in a huge winter storm here in Northern Cali - drove in a downpour for about 5 hours from Bodega Bay to Sacramento and the Firehawks were awesome. No worries about sliding or hydroplaning - just going through too deep of water for the Vette!

In dry conditions they are sticky but maybe not quite as much as the OEMs although I haven't really roughed them up much yet, only 8000 easy miles. Don't get me wrong, they stick quite nice but I feel a bit of a slide although Active Handling rarely has to step in.

Prices seem about right - good luck!

-Steve

Blade
04-16-04, 10:31 AM
If I have a vote, I vote for the Michilen Pilot Sport ZP's. If I needed tires right now for my 03, those are the ones I'd buy.
Same here!

AZMike
04-16-04, 11:01 AM
I second (or should I say fourth) the vote for the Michelin PilotSport ZP's. I put them on almost 10k ago and they are much quieter than the GYs. They also gripe before breaking loose - unlike the GYs which would just let go all of a sudden. The car is much more predictable now because I can hear when I'm about to lose traction. Also, the ZPs cut way down on the amount of bumpsteer that the thick walled GYs would cause.

devo
04-17-04, 04:37 PM
Do you want to keep the runcraps?
Or would you choose a non runflat?
I switched and went with pilot sports (non run flats) best decision I ever made no noise better ride and thet STICK LIKE GLUE!
I would say ditch the whole runflat idea and go with ANY nonrunflat tire.
BTW My car is a daily driver I keep a small air pump from walmart and a quick lift jack and a repair kit! all fits in the right hand storage comp.
Good luck on your choice

Tuna
04-17-04, 05:41 PM
Do you want to keep the runcraps?
Or would you choose a non runflat?
I switched and went with pilot sports (non run flats) best decision I ever made no noise better ride and thet STICK LIKE GLUE!
I would say ditch the whole runflat idea and go with ANY nonrunflat tire.
BTW My car is a daily driver I keep a small air pump from walmart and a quick lift jack and a repair kit! all fits in the right hand storage comp.
Good luck on your choice

Good idea to have the repair kit but the one problem that creates is - if you ever use it, the pressure sensors in the wheel will be toast and you'll have to replace it if you want the tire pressure system to work.

I don't particularly care for the GY version of runflats but, without a spare, I'd rather keep the runflat option. I'm hoping that the new GY runflat used on the C6 will be better but I ain't holding my breath. In the meantime, I'll stick with a runflat tire. PS ZP's are my first choice (for now) when I need to install tires on my C5.

Kevin McGrade
04-18-04, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I decided to stay with the goodyears(oem)
I really don't mind the noise to much. I had them mounted up yesterday :D