PDA

View Full Version : Corvette Hatemail

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-05-04, 12:41 PM
People out there hate the Corvette. After reading the hatemail in Motortrend's May 2004 issue, regarding the new C6, I figured that I would bring back an old post to see why people hate our beloved Corvettes.

Is it because:

That blonde thinks she is "all that," driving around in that red Corvette?

My old girlfriend dumped me for a guy driving a C5 Corvette?

It's America's sportscar (ya right)

My friend's, mother's, next door neighbor's, father's, step child had one, and had nothing but trouble with it.

A guy in a Corvette went by me at 150mph and scared the $#!t out of me!

It's a boyracer car, my 911, now that's a real sportscar.

I wouldn't get caught dead driving a Corvette, my Toyota is a better made automobile according to Autoweek.

I heard they were made of fiberglass, and shatter if you drive them in cold weather.

I was driving too close to one, and the guy got ****ed that I would hit his beloved Corvette.

I heard they get terrible gas mileage, my Maxima gets 26 miles to the gallon.

edited for a small spelling error!!

dubya
04-05-04, 02:17 PM
I think it is just jealously plain and simple.

You also forgot:

"Sorry about you penis"
"Small penis.........."

:L

Mac
04-05-04, 02:28 PM
"Small penis.........."

:L
For all those "Porky's" fans out there....

Please.... may we call it a tallywacker?

;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

-Mac

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-05-04, 06:39 PM
lmao, ya the penis, we have to compensate somehow>..........lol!

Imachad
04-05-04, 06:45 PM
You can speak for yourself on that one!! :L

dubya
04-05-04, 06:47 PM
;LOL I think we pretty much heard them all!

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-05-04, 08:32 PM
I was talking about the rest of you poor souls! ;)

slong
04-05-04, 10:02 PM
:BOW Thought I heard them all, but somehow they just keep coming. slong

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-05-04, 10:25 PM
Don't laugh too loud slong, I see your vehicle is identical to mine! lol :eek

cavettefan
04-05-04, 11:33 PM
It is resentment, under whatever guise occurs. The Corvette is such a value as well as a platform for enhancement. Where else could you start with a car that is very competitive with "supercars" on a performance level and then with a $10K to $20K investment, will eat their lunch? When someone with a Turbo Carrera gets toasted by a Corvette, the only thing they can do is disparage the Corvette - anything else calls into question their decision to dump a $120K into the Turbo Carrera (or Ferrari, or whatever....)

UB2 SLOW
04-06-04, 12:16 AM
Dont forget.
Only old men drive Corvettes and another one is He must be going through a midlife crises.

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-06-04, 08:24 AM
Good one UB, I forgot about that one. Midlife crisis = looking for a younger babe! LMAO I crack myself up sometimes. I heard one from a woman that was about 50-55. She bought a new C5 and told me she figured she would treat herself to one, she worked hard since she was young and figured she deserved it. "You only live once, why the hell not." she said. I was like cool, that make sense to me. I've only been a Corvette nut since 1970, when I was eight years old. Fell in love with a yellow 70' Stingray up the street. The guy that owned it was probably sick of wiping my nose prints off his drivers window. :(

Bill Heygster
04-06-04, 09:31 AM
If the vette has solved the midlife crisis I was having and didn't know it .......well so be it. I'm certainly not having any crisis now. Two years ago we stayed at a motel outside of Carlisle which was full of youth soccer teams (minivans) and about six corvettes. I wish I had a picture of look on the soccer dads faces in the morning when we headed for Carlisle and the evenings when we returned. There was no hatred only extreme envy.
:L :L :L :L ;LOL ;LOL

warren s
04-06-04, 10:48 AM
Its also "snobbery". People frequently equate price with quality and performance. After working in a repair shop during my life, I can say first had that many higher priced cars frequently break down just like a much less expensive domestic.

I was always amazed at owners of cars built by ex Nazie affiliated companies, they would not bat an eye at having their 70K wundercar towed out of their driveway because it wouldn’t start, pay $400 for as set of wires and tune up parts.

But my domestic that outperformed their Porsche by every measure a sports car can be guaged by was still junk in their opionion.

cavettefan
04-06-04, 12:38 PM
Porsche was not Nazi-affiliated; he was a member of the Nazi party.

Edmond
04-06-04, 12:54 PM

This guy I work with drives a Cavalier and he was telling me something along the lines of this. I said, "Yeah, the Corvette Z06 get 18/19 MPG. Then again, it does have 405 HP. What do you have?" That shut him up pretty quick. :L

slong
04-06-04, 07:53 PM
So we are doing something right I see. ;)
Don't laugh too loud slong, I see your vehicle is identical to mine! lol :eek

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-06-04, 08:33 PM
Edmond, that's the city mileage too. The ZO6 does get a rated 28mpg on the highway. I've been getting around 30mpg if I'm being a good boy.

bossvette
04-06-04, 09:16 PM
I keep telling my wife I need a C-5 for gas milage, I only get about 11mpg;LOL
and I am jealous:cry

corvetterider84
04-06-04, 09:26 PM
I only get about 15, but wouldn't trade it for anything......well maybe a Z06.:D

danny/'87
04-06-04, 10:07 PM
mine gets 24-26 on the highway if i keep it under 80 :), i didn't buy it for mpg, i bought it because i wanted one.
the corvette is second to none in my opinion no matter what year/generation and they don't cost a fortune for parts and time lost waiting for some foreign country to send parts at their convenience-jmo

Harley1@coiinc.com
04-06-04, 11:56 PM
Oh, I knew this one would get some replies. Here'sy 2cents worth. It's not what you ride, it's that you do. I've been a Harley rider for 30 plus years and I don't knock the Jap riders. Most would have a Harley if they thought they could afford it. I have my own priorities when it comes to an American icon. It's a love and if I have to explain you wouldn't understand. It's exactly the same with Corvettes. I got my first one in 1970, I will never own an overpriced glorified Volkswagon spawned on the heals of Nazis. But I appreciate all sports, specialty and collectable vehichles. I just keep my opinions to myself. After 765,000 miles in 30 plus years on a Harley I've had my share of jerks in all makes of cars pass me like an idiot, cut me off and pull out or turn in front of me and I certainly never faulted the maker of the car, just the parentage of the driver. Same way with my Vette. Almost every other time I drive either I see a potential crash if I wasn't driving defensivly. If the wafe in the Porshe wasn't so busy trying to impress others with her ride and talking on the cell phone and putting on her makeup she may have had more time to avoid the Greatest American sportscar ever made, as it passed by her. I am not an advocate of street racing, but with all these cars capable of 200mph plus your gonna see a few trying to kill themselfes. Ya just gotta look for them and avoid.

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-07-04, 12:49 PM
I think mostly it is what you drive, tells alot about you, and how you think. I see a Volvo, Saab, or Volkswagon Beetle, I think Greenpeace! I see a Mercedes, BMW or Audi, I think, this guy honestly thinks he is better than me. When I see a Mustang GT, I think this guy is desperate to pass me, but knows he will have to cheat somehow to achieve it. Does anyone think I really think this way? ;shrug

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-07-04, 12:52 PM
Not really, but it sure makes me laugh though!

dubya
04-07-04, 12:56 PM
I think mostly it is what you drive, tells alot about you, and how you think. I see a Volvo, Saab, or Volkswagon Beetle, I think Greenpeace! I see a Mercedes, BMW or Audi, I think, this guy honestly thinks he is better than me. When I see a Mustang GT, I think this guy is desperate to pass me, but knows he will have to cheat somehow to achieve it. Does anyone think I really think this way? ;shrug
I'm with you, especially on the Greenpeace!;LOL I also like to call them liberals.;)

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-07-04, 02:14 PM
Dubya, your a wise man for sure. I get a kick out of "You are what you drive." Whatever that really means, is left to the imagination. Sometimes when it is right on the money, that is the best in terms of comedy.

My father always told me to beware of a man that wears a bow tie, drives a Rambler and smokes a pipe. That is pretty comical too.

justafamilyman
04-07-04, 03:47 PM
Dubya, your a wise man for sure. I get a kick out of "You are what you drive." Whatever that really means, is left to the imagination. Sometimes when it is right on the money, that is the best in terms of comedy.

My father always told me to beware of a man that wears a bow tie, drives a Rambler and smokes a pipe. That is pretty comical too.
Hi To All,
I have a C5 and I haven't anyone's girlfriend yet. What am I doing wrong????
Blue Borg Brian 1 of 58

bossvette
04-07-04, 06:41 PM
Hi To All,
I have a C5 and I haven't anyone's girlfriend yet. What am I doing wrong????
Blue Borg Brian 1 of 58park it by a laundramat in a college town and sit on the fender; if your moving the girls can't catch up to you!;LOL

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-07-04, 07:03 PM
Not a bad plan Bossvette. I always get those young 18 year olds at the drive-thru at Dunkin Donuts........"I LIKE YOUR CAR." or "I LOVE THAT COLOR." I'm thinking like "YA, AND YOUR OLD ENOUGH TO BE MY DAUGHTER." Oh well what are you going to do? I know what I'd like to do, but can't! :eyerole

KANE
04-07-04, 08:38 PM
Well, I have had a Corvette since I was a Junior in highschool. I heard this 11 years ago and and still hear it today.

- Mid-life crisis at 16? DOUBT IT!!

- Over compensating? Why? The list is few and I've not wasted my time on anyone who would complain so that one doesn't apply.

- Want to look rich while not being rich? A "front"? Sure. Wasting money always makes me feel good about who I am and where my "place" is in society.

- Well, I had a friend who had a Vette and it was always in the shop- they all are that way.... Really scientific. Where did you get your "survey" data from? OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD OR THE BOTTOM OF YOUR A**?

I hear this all the time. Its like my mom said- THEY ARE JUST JEALOUS.

Imachad
04-07-04, 08:45 PM
I'm with you, especially on the Greenpeace!;LOL I also like to call them liberals.;)

stupid liberals and their tree hugging cars!

PS - Look Below :D ;LOL

Michael Malone Smith
04-07-04, 09:12 PM
my wife drives a beetle and loves it......course she really doesn't like cars especially my corvette. She is all you talk about and more but do I care NAW :cool

BruceBed
04-07-04, 09:37 PM
Who cares about the gas mileage, maintenance costs and associated items to have a Corvette? You either get it or not. I think J.P. Morgan once said " If you have to ask how much it costs - you can't afford it. Most people are jealous and envious. They would like to have one but can't . The car is a mean to an end. It's not the end all. Enjoy and #^*#!k all the naysayers.

BruceBed
04-07-04, 09:38 PM
intersting theory.

Edmond
04-07-04, 09:43 PM
Who cares about the gas mileage, maintenance costs and associated items to have a Corvette? You either get it or not. I think J.P. Morgan once said " If you have to ask how much it costs - you can't afford it. Most people are jealous and envious. They would like to have one but can't . The car is a mean to an end. It's not the end all. Enjoy and #^*#!k all the naysayers.

You are sure right about that one Bruce. No one buys a Corvette for gas mileage, though Corvette's are very good on gas mileage considering what kind of car they are. :cool

BruceBed
04-07-04, 09:43 PM
I think mostly it is what you drive, tells alot about you, and how you think. I see a Volvo, Saab, or Volkswagon Beetle, I think Greenpeace! I see a Mercedes, BMW or Audi, I think, this guy honestly thinks he is better than me. When I see a Mustang GT, I think this guy is desperate to pass me, but knows he will have to cheat somehow to achieve it. Does anyone think I really think this way? ;shrug Very interesting theory. I have an old 740 turbo Volvo. I wish my Vette was as bulletproof as the Volvo. Nothing can kill that car and it runs for free the last 14 years. However, I love to roll out the vert Vette- nothing feels as good . People usually get twisted when I tell them I have a Vette and a Volvo. I guess you could say Greenpeace meets Speed Racer.

slong
04-07-04, 10:04 PM
Here’s a theory. Some day my son is going to inherit everything we own. He is a car nut like me. When I’m ashes he’s going to take some of that money and go out and by himself a ZO6. Now why shouldn’t I enjoy the same thing now? Not to mix anyone up – my parents were poor. I beat him to the punch. It sure tastes gooooooooooooood!
slong

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-07-04, 10:20 PM
I would like to thank everyone that has responded to this thread so far, very interesting responses. My sister owns a Volvo wagon and is a republican lol! Go figure. :D

schmaltzr
04-07-04, 10:57 PM
I bought my car because I worked for the last 30 years and always spent my money reasonably sensible. Every time I saw a C5 I thought someone has got to be loaded to drive one of those. I found out that a good used one cost nearly as much as my wifes Camry and was twice the fun. Forget about the expensive repairs, There's more to life than looking for practicality. I wouldn't be caught dead driving a mini-van. I don't have kids, dont't want any, and my wife and I haven't got any intention of giving our money to any relative. We'll try to give it to charity where it will have plenty of time to be put to practical uses. -R

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-07-04, 11:27 PM
Schmaltzr, How do you like that silver coupe? I see you have a 6 speed too, very nice, great gas mileage also.

corvette_4765982
04-12-04, 04:33 PM
People that hate on Corvettes just don't appreciate cars. I find just as much value in a Toyota corolla as I do in a Porsche 911. They appeal to different markets and price ranges but both are great cars to the people who buy them. I am the extreme Corvette guy. I spend more time detailing my car than I do driving it. It is like a fine wine and is to be savored. I get just as much enjoyment out of looking at it in my garage as I do driving it. I love my car and if anyone has a problem with it they can F*ck off!!!

Stealth1
04-12-04, 09:49 PM
I have three " toy cars" I really dont need them just want them. A 55 Belair Wagon,
68 Camaro SS convert and my Z. Its really interesting just to see the different types of people that each one seems to attract. The older crowd loves the 55.
The young crowd just is in awe over the Camaro.I have not had the Z long enough to really get a feel for that yet but so far it seems like people seem to pretend not to notice.I think its a jeolusy thing. Cause man you just cant not notice a C5.
The jeolusy thing is kinda hard to come to terms with..I just like cars and I dont get it its not like its a 300,000.00 Italian jobber. Oh yea I forgot I get the midlife crisis one alot.:L

Michael Malone Smith
04-13-04, 11:26 AM
I have to come back to this post for a post script.....Shari was upset about what I said about her, she replied that she just didn't get the same kind of enjoyment out of cars that I did but she was thrilled for me that I did. Now thats why I married her some 40 plus years ago, she is a trooper for me . My feelings for my Grand Sport even scares me sometime :L

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-13-04, 12:33 PM
Mike, you have to admit, if that Grand Sport were a real live woman, she would be drop dead gorgeous! A real sex kitten,.........I better shut up or I'll get you in trouble! :eek

Michael Malone Smith
04-13-04, 09:04 PM
:dance for sure

BlackZ28Turbo
04-13-04, 09:29 PM
I bought mine because of gas mileage because my other car is a suburban. ;)

What Stealth1 posted was very interesting. I had a turbocharged Z28 which was very obnoxious which most guys really liked while the women have preferred the vette.

I haven't really been exposed to the snobby ones yet.

Oh yeah, I am in a mid-life crisis. :)

Blade
04-14-04, 10:53 AM
Deep down inside, those guys making bad comments about the Vette would give one of their items located just below their "tallywacker" to own one too!

stano
04-14-04, 11:58 AM
People out there hate the Corvette. After reading the hatemail in Motortrend's May 2004 issue, regarding the new C6, I figured that I would bring back an old post to see why people hate our beloved Corvettes.

Is it because:

That blonde thinks she is "all that," driving around in that red Corvette?

My old girlfriend dumped me for a guy driving a C5 Corvette?

It's America's sportscar (ya right)

My friend's, mother's, next door neighbor's, father's, step child had one, and had nothing but trouble with it.

A guy in a Corvette went by me at 150mph and scared the $#!t out of me!

It's a boyracer car, my 911, now that's a real sportscar.

I wouldn't get caught dead driving a Corvette, my Toyota is a better made automobile according to Autoweek.

I heard they were made of fiberglass, and shatter if you drive them in cold weather.

I was driving too close to one, and the guy got ****ed that I would hit his beloved Corvette.

edited for a small spelling error!!
Gee, I wonder what people will think when they see 26 + vettes coming my way this weekend :)
An extension of all of our Pee Pee's ;LOL ;LOL

TODD L GRIFFITH
04-14-04, 12:06 PM
26 + Vettes coming at you, an awesome sight to see :cool

RedRagTop
04-14-04, 12:13 PM
Here I have the only one in town so assured exclusivity (there is a C5 down the highway I pass once in awhile, always waves). Also, I get a lot of "nice cars" and the like but really I just love chirping around town and it is definitely my weekend escape pod.
Fartcans and wannabees aside, anyone with a few bucks can own one so it's not like we're putting on airs...

stano
04-14-04, 07:32 PM
Here I have the only one in town so assured exclusivity (there is a C5 down the highway I pass once in awhile, always waves). Also, I get a lot of "nice cars" and the like but really I just love chirping around town and it is definitely my weekend escape pod.
Fartcans and wannabees aside, anyone with a few bucks can own one so it's not like we're putting on airs...
Chirping around town...would that be "exhibition of speed" :D

RedRagTop
04-15-04, 07:05 AM
Chirping around town...would that be "exhibition of speed" :D
Nah. It's 10 bucks a foot if you get nailed but I let off by about 15MPH, just enough to slip it a bit. Still trying to burn off those Yokies.:bu

schmaltzr
10-04-07, 10:30 PM
It is resentment, under whatever guise occurs. The Corvette is such a value as well as a platform for enhancement. Where else could you start with a car that is very competitive with "supercars" on a performance level and then with a $10K to $20K investment, will eat their lunch? When someone with a Turbo Carrera gets toasted by a Corvette, the only thing they can do is disparage the Corvette - anything else calls into question their decision to dump a $120K into the Turbo Carrera (or Ferrari, or whatever....)

Speaking of Ferrari's my neighbor drives a Beutiful Red Testarosa. I does turn my head and a lot of heads when I've gone with him in. It really doesn't have the finess of a C5 for every day driving. I believe he has to double clutch it (maybe it's his choice), a 15K tune up is $15000.00 (that's a dollar a mile) becuase they basically rebuild the engine. He's considered selling the Testarosa for a C5 because he wants something that is more like a daily driver without loosing out on performance. But a Ferrari has enormous reputation and in this case also style. It really is part 'Art'. Porsche doesn't have that kind of style in my opinion, but does have snob appeal.

Tony C
10-05-07, 05:59 AM
There are a lot of interesting replies to this old post. Like Schmaltzr said in an old post, I'm finally at a stage in my life where the kids are out of college and my priorities can shift a little to the things that make me smile :). Personnaly, I have heard nothing but compliments. My vette is my daily ride and not a garage queen or show car but I bought it to drive it and I smile every time I do - not a bad investment.
Tony C.

Eric
10-05-07, 07:09 AM
Ahh, I love thread revival! By the way, I guess I went through my mid-life crisis when I was 30;LOL.

04 Commemorative
10-05-07, 08:14 AM
My wife made me buy mine ! lol...It's true, she said ...you wanted one since you were 17 if you don't get it now you might never get it ! :upthumbs Gotta love a woman like that! Oh and F++K all the others too ! LOL:chuckle

Vettepirate
10-05-07, 08:59 AM
Speaking of Ferrari's my neighbor drives a Beutiful Red Testarosa. I does turn my head and a lot of heads when I've gone with him in. It really doesn't have the finess of a C5 for every day driving. I believe he has to double clutch it (maybe it's his choice), a 15K tune up is $15000.00 (that's a dollar a mile) becuase they basically rebuild the engine. He's considered selling the Testarosa for a C5 because he wants something that is more like a daily driver without loosing out on performance. But a Ferrari has enormous reputation and in this case also style. It really is part 'Art'. Porsche doesn't have that kind of style in my opinion, but does have snob appeal.

Id do just about anything apart from sell my Vette to buy a Testarossa. I love the American styling on it, wide rear end, so vastly different from the rest of the less remarkable Ferrari models. It was also one of my dream cars growing up, one day ill have it, although i do fear the ~10-15mpg factor, not to mention maintenance. :ugh

bwing
10-05-07, 04:59 PM
Ahh, I love thread revival! By the way, I guess I went through my mid-life crisis when I was 30;LOL.

I purchased my 1st Corvette when I was 18....a '63 cpe. I don't think that was a mid-life crisis. :rotfl I'm on my 3rd right now and probably my last. My wife was with me when I bought the Z06. She actually talked me into buying it by saying "You have been talking about buying a50th AE Z06 when the '01 Z06 came out. You have to buy it and stop talking about it." I stopped talking. :L

schmaltzr
10-18-07, 10:09 PM
I've got a '93 chevy shortbed standard cab with an automatic for driving in the traffic and commuting. It also has a very large trailor hitch for tailgators. If I'm not likely to be in a traffic jam or regular commuting the 6 speed is a lot of fun. It always suprises me how you can be doing 60 mph and drop it into 3rd and stomp on it just to literally spin the tires (on dry pavement). If you look at my profile you'll see my 'vette is equipped with a speed limiter at no additional cost (my wife). It keeps the insurance down and the repair costs minimal so I really don't need the power of a Z06. For me, the coupe is the best choice. If I take it on a trip where it has to be parked outside it has the security of a hardtop, but I can remove it if I want and enjoy the wind. I can also take it to the track for our clubs 'School Days' without having to install a roll bar, unlike convertables. Here in the Seattle area a convertable is nice in the summer, but becuase we seldom freeze and don't use salt on the roads I can drive year 'round. I've never driven a convertable, but I would suspect that they would be less enjoyable in cold rainy weather than a hardtop type car. There is a bit more noise on the freeway with the coupe I think because there isn't a physical seperation from the trunk type area. As for silver. My first choice would have been the darkest metallic blue made. Silver is very practical because it blends into traffic, gray roads and gray sky's so I call it Stealth Silver instead of Sebring Silver. Silver also stay fairy clean and you wouldn't know it was even dusty, but it isn't as showy as a dark blue, black or red when it is clean.

Oldgeezer
10-20-07, 07:36 PM
I bought my first Corvette in '74, my second one and probably my last in '99. I love my '99. Would like to buy a new one but I only have 9,440 miles on the '99. I couldn't care less what people think about Corvettes. Like the old crop duster said in "Independence Day", "UP THEIR'S!";LOL

hoosierdaddy
10-20-07, 08:32 PM
Oh, I knew this one would get some replies. Here'sy 2cents worth. It's not what you ride, it's that you do. I've been a Harley rider for 30 plus years and I don't knock the Jap riders. Most would have a Harley if they thought they could afford it. I have my own priorities when it comes to an American icon. It's a love and if I have to explain you wouldn't understand. It's exactly the same with Corvettes. I got my first one in 1970, I will never own an overpriced glorified Volkswagon spawned on the heals of Nazis. But I appreciate all sports, specialty and collectable vehichles. I just keep my opinions to myself. After 765,000 miles in 30 plus years on a Harley I've had my share of jerks in all makes of cars pass me like an idiot, cut me off and pull out or turn in front of me and I certainly never faulted the maker of the car, just the parentage of the driver. Same way with my Vette. Almost every other time I drive either I see a potential crash if I wasn't driving defensivly. If the wafe in the Porshe wasn't so busy trying to impress others with her ride and talking on the cell phone and putting on her makeup she may have had more time to avoid the Greatest American sportscar ever made, as it passed by her. I am not an advocate of street racing, but with all these cars capable of 200mph plus your gonna see a few trying to kill themselfes. Ya just gotta look for them and avoid.

Touche`

Bill :w

JETZ
10-24-07, 12:19 AM
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/692/spyd8.jpg ;LOL

9340Ruby
10-24-07, 06:38 AM
If you listen closely......you can hear a Porsche rusting in a neighborhood near you!!!!

hoosierdaddy
10-27-07, 01:06 PM
Corvette & Harley Davidson, just doesn't get much better than that. Don't have the HD yet but one of these days I will.

Bill