PDA

View Full Version : Driver window scratch

Sondaw
04-03-04, 11:54 PM
I just picked up a new 2003 Corvette convertible--full factory warranty and no miles.

The car is flawless with exception of a pencil tip thin 3 inch scratch on the outside of the driver side window. Is there anyway this can be rubbed out without damaging the tinted glass or is the only alternative to ask the dealer to replace the window.

I am concerned that by replacing the window the dealer may damage the interior door trim. Some things are just never the same when taken apart.

Any thoughts?

VETTEX2
04-04-04, 01:48 AM
someone has to have some sort of polish for that.

ok , found one...... http://www.deltakits.com/dki-catalog/co1.html

google is great !;)

devo
04-04-04, 03:21 AM
I just picked up a new 2003 Corvette convertible--full factory warranty and no miles.

The car is flawless with exception of a pencil tip thin 3 inch scratch on the outside of the driver side window. Is there anyway this can be rubbed out without damaging the tinted glass or is the only alternative to ask the dealer to replace the window.

I am concerned that by replacing the window the dealer may damage the interior door trim. Some things are just never the same when taken apart.

Any thoughts?
Mine has the same scratch!

cavettefan
04-04-04, 03:26 AM
You bascially have one of two options: 1.) Go back to the dealer and point out the scratch and ask for a replacement window (and check the door trim to see if they screwed that up as a consequence of replacing the glass); or 2.) Buff out the scratch. Personally, I would attempt buffing out the scratch as a first step. If buffing failed, then I would go to the dealer for a replacement window.

VETTEX2
04-04-04, 08:59 AM
You bascially have one of two options: 1.) Go back to the dealer and point out the scratch and ask for a replacement window (and check the door trim to see if they screwed that up as a consequence of replacing the glass); or 2.) Buff out the scratch. Personally, I would attempt buffing out the scratch as a first step. If buffing failed, then I would go to the dealer for a replacement window.point it out to the dealer before attempting to buff it out, just in case........

cavettefan
04-04-04, 04:01 PM
VETTEX2, you have a point. By showing the scratch to the dealer before attempting to buff it yourself, you have notified them of the condition, and preserved your claim for the replacement. Depending on the dealer, they might want to take a first pass at buffing the scratch themselves. If buffing failed to remove the scratch, then they would be ready to replace the window. After all, it is a defect in delivery.

Sondaw
04-04-04, 05:05 PM
someone has to have some sort of polish for that.

ok , found one...... http://www.deltakits.com/dki-catalog/co1.html

google is great !;)
Many thanks. Really appreciate the help.

dubya
04-05-04, 02:20 PM
I have that same damn scratch in my '02. It is about dead nuts center and runs for about 6-8 inches. I thought I picked up a stone or something.

Does anyone know the cause?

ducky55
05-30-04, 07:23 PM
I have that same damn scratch in my '02. It is about dead nuts center and runs for about 6-8 inches. I thought I picked up a stone or something.

Does anyone know the cause?
I just got a new 2003 coupe that did not have the scratch when I picked up the car, but it is there now and getting worse every time the window goes down and up. Mine is on the outside of the passenger window. I had the same problem with a new Aurora in 1997 and they changed the window and the "wiper assembly" (or something like that) without any problem. Has anyone had this job completed yet for the Corvette so we can have the dealership order in the offending part so we don't have to have it taken apart twice?

myron
06-01-04, 10:05 PM
My 2000 has one to.Right in the middle.:(

Blade
06-02-04, 03:45 PM
How do so many people have this same scratch on their window? Does it happen in shipping or something Dealer Prep does instead of removing the shock stuffers.

And while we are at it: What do you mean by "dead nut center" and runs for about "6-8 inches"?

ducky55
06-02-04, 07:42 PM
NC 50anny,
I presume it is a defect in the window assembly inside the door. I don't want to speak for dubya, but I can tell you that my scratch is developing on the outside of the window about half way between the front and back of the window and about half way down from the top to bottom. Therefore darn near "dead centre of the window".

nwdanner
06-08-04, 01:53 PM
I have the exact problem on my '02 coupe. One on the outside of my passenger-side window about 6"-8" long and one about 1"-2" on the inside of my driver-side window. I just took it to the dealer about two weeks ago (along for pealing clear-coat on the polished wheels and micro fractures in the targa top) and I'm currently fighting with them on the factory warranty coverage for these items. They claim the scratches are the result of a slim-jim from the previous owner. :eyerole Even when I show them the scratch on the inside of the driver-side window they still say "warranty coverage denied" for that item. I have another fighting session with the dealer this Friday. Why do dealers spend 99% of their time trying to avoid warranty claims, even on a $47k car? :mad