PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear GSCs

timotheous
03-31-04, 10:06 PM
Does anyone know the last year Goodyear made GSCs? I found a set of "new" GSCs at a tire store and want to find out how old they are (guys at the shop got them from somewhere else and don't know how old they might be - they're unused though).

Moonunit 451
03-31-04, 10:15 PM
There is a date code on all tires. It is usually found in a small oval stamp on the inside sidewall. It is a 3 or 4 digit # indicating the week and year of production. 349 = 34th week of 1999. 1302 = 13th week of 2002.

HTRK-1
03-31-04, 10:17 PM
Unless you'ra all about keeping your car original, I would avoid the GSC's like the plague. There are so many tires out there that are so much better. If you can get them dirt cheap then buy them, otherwise look elsewhere. Even my cheap Dunlop SP8000's are twice the tire's my GSC were. The GSC last for ever, but the ride and handling are awefull compared to equally priced Michelins, Dunlops and Firstones. I actually removed 4 GSC with almost new tread to replace them with the Dunlops.

Moonunit 451
03-31-04, 10:26 PM
Even my cheap Dunlop SP8000's are twice the tire's my GSC were.

I didn't think they were cheap at nearly $200 @. They wear kinda fast but I think they hold the road very well. All the Autocrossers with theier slicks and stuff couldn't believe how well my car held the course last weekend with the SP 8000's :D

HTRK-1
03-31-04, 11:14 PM
I wasn't trying to offend anyone with the Dunlops. I think they are a great tire (thats why I purchased them). You are right they do tend to wear a lot faster. I just know there are a lot of Michelin Pilot guys who will eat me alive for saying anything else is better. I got my tires as part of a package with my AFS wheels. I only put about 3K mile/ year on my car, so wear wasn't a determining factor when I got them.......

Moonunit 451
04-01-04, 12:11 AM
I wasn't trying to offend anyone with the Dunlops. I think they are a great tire (thats why I purchased them). You are right they do tend to wear a lot faster. I just know there are a lot of Michelin Pilot guys who will eat me alive for saying anything else is better. I got my tires as part of a package with my AFS wheels. I only put about 3K mile/ year on my car, so wear wasn't a determining factor when I got them.......

I surely wasn't offended :L I'm waiting for my backordered GY F1 GS-D3's, then I'm sure I won't think a lot of the Dunlops either, just pointing out I didn't consider them cheap pricewise and they perform pretty well. :D

Ken
04-01-04, 12:34 AM
GSCs were on my car when I crashed it in '96. I didn't like 'em after that because they gave me no indication that they were gonna break loose. Ya know what they say about a happy tire being a squeeling tire; if it ain't squeelin', it ain't workin'. ;)

HTRK-1
04-01-04, 10:57 PM
Hey Ken...I will say the GSC did sqeal like none I've heard...Made my friends think a small burnout was really something.