PDA

View Full Version : Driver's side door mystery on my 86!

ejrempel
03-29-04, 10:45 PM
I had the stereo installation place try and reset the windows in my '86 coupe. They discovered why I had a window leak on the top rear edge of my driver's door. Get this. The window is too small. It is 3/8ths of an inch shorter, front to back, than the passenger side. No wonder I can't get the damn thing sealed. The driver's door also has a totally different window mechanism than the passenger side. Is this right? It has two alluminum pipes running vertically in the door, with a nylon ring assembly sliding over top of the pipes. The passenger side is your typical sissor-type assembly. Can anyone tell me what gives here? Is my driver's door from a different year? Did they have shorter and longer door glass in the C4 model run? Any light cast onto this problem would be very much appreciated, as I would love to seal up that driver's side window.

Moonunit 451
03-30-04, 12:03 AM
Sounds fishy, can you get any pic's up? It's not stock without the scissor, I can tell you that for sure. Both sices should be the same. Sorry.

oldace84
03-30-04, 12:23 AM
Pic's!

tony

The Car Whisperer
03-30-04, 07:32 PM
The window lift mechanism changed design in 1986. I have a late production 1986 Coupe and it does not have the scissors lift mechanism, it has a tape drive lift mechanism. They were found to be inferior, they open and close very slowly. When the Convertables came out in 1986 they were fitted with the scissors lift mechanisms and then GM issued them as replacements for the earlier tape drive lifts as a warranty repair part. After 1986 all C4 models had the updated scissors lift type. The scissor lift mechanism can be easily retrofitted into the older doors. I see 2 differant windows listed in my parts book, one fits 1984 to 1990 and the other fits 1991 to 1996. Don't know what the differance is though.