PDA

View Full Version : scratches

CSCARLSON
09-09-01, 08:02 AM
I have a few scratches in my door glass.. is there anything I can ust to get the scratches out?

Eric
09-09-01, 10:27 AM
Depends on how deep they are. There are a couple of solutions I've tried, some better than others. If the scratch isn't too deep good old polishing compound under a buffer will do it. I've used rubbing compound too for deeper ones.

There is a kit available in most of the catalogs that comes with glass polish and a special polisher for use w/ a drill. I've been hesitant to get it, afraid of hurting the glass, but I'm sure some other members have used it and will tell you about it.

Good luck!

Bullitt
09-09-01, 10:31 AM
If you can hang your fingernail on the scratch, you're probably out of luck. If not, you should be able to polish it out with a specific kit for this. Eastwood Co. sells one at $33, part# 40011. You can use a drill or a low speed grinder. The most important thing is to make sure that you don't heat up the glass, because it will crack. Don't ask me how I know.--Bullitt

Eric
09-09-01, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Bullitt
The most important thing is to make sure that you don't heat up the glass, because it will crack. Don't ask me how I know.--Bullitt
Ouch!!!

chevyaddict
07-17-05, 12:40 PM
If you can hang your fingernail on the scratch, you're probably out of luck.

I have marks from my windshield wipers (no.. not me - old owner ARGH!); otherwise my windshield is good. You can feel them but they are more like a wide "rub" then a scratch - but they span most of the windshield. Am I just resigned to replace it or do you think there is any hope of polishing them out?

JohnZ
07-17-05, 01:13 PM
Anyplace you polish out scratches on the windshield will create optical distortion, which will aggravate you at least as much as looking at scratches.
:beer

chevyaddict
07-17-05, 01:18 PM
Your right... I didn't even think about that. Good deal. New windshield it is!!!