PDA

View Full Version : Why is there foam insulation around my battery?

Dave1998
03-03-04, 07:56 PM
I pulled my battery to see if the Delco was leaking into the tray and noticed this foam case about the battery. Does anyone know its purpose? The battery was not leaking, and I have no idea if a dealer replacement or new. It states on top it has a 6 year warranty which I do not know if they came that way from the factory as the car had a 3 year warranty.

Any comments appreciated

Dave

VETTEX2
03-03-04, 08:32 PM
NEVER HAVE SEEN THAT..............oops sorry , caps...........

corvettegreg
03-03-04, 08:41 PM
If it is the 1/4" thick gray foam wrap around the battery, it is factory. My 99 Corvette came with it and the last 3 of my Chevy trucks did also (98, 2000, 2003). I have no idea what it's purpose is...hopefully another member can fill us in.

Eric
03-03-04, 09:21 PM
Must be a GM standard thing thse days. My Malibu and Grand Am both have one.

Pegasus
03-03-04, 09:23 PM
I think it's for a little additional heat insulation. My '99 had a black one. It won't fit my Optima red-top battery though. No biggie.

Robert :)

bradfordsvettes
03-03-04, 09:25 PM
it is for heat isolation ;) :w steve

99WhiteC5Coupe
03-04-04, 12:06 PM
Dave1998,

Chevrolet issued TSB #99-06-03-002 "Battery Insulator Replacement" for 1999 and prior passenger cars and light trucks that cautioned dealers to replace the battery insulator if it is damaged or missing, and not to omitt installing it when replacing the battery. If the insulator is not installed, the TSB warned that it could considerably reduce the life of the battery by exposing it to higher underhood temperatures.

On a related issue - when my original Delco battery leaked in my 1999 C5 coupe, the dealer replaced the battery but not the insulator (it was soaked in acid). When I pointed it out to the service advisor, he said "we never replace those things". I insisted they order one and replace it under warranty. They did.

Good luck.

bluecoupe
03-04-04, 04:16 PM
2001 switched to AGM battery. 2004s (maybe 03 too) switched back to wet battery but with top battery terminals (not side terninals).

bradfordsvettes
03-04-04, 07:59 PM
top posts make sense to me gravity helps keep the acid in the battery don't you think :D :eyerole :w steve

Pegasus
03-04-04, 08:01 PM
Optima's defy gravity!!:cool

Robert

bluecoupe
03-04-04, 11:32 PM
If you overtighten a side terminal the connector acts like a wheel puller tool and pulls the terminal away from the battery's case and stresses the plastic case but on a top terminal battery if you overtighten you'll only distort the terminal connector and not put any additional forces on the battery's case. I would still go with an AGM or Optima just to be extra safe.

Corvette-Pilot
03-05-04, 09:11 AM
My 94 has one too :confused

I just figured it was to insulate it

DRTH VTR
03-05-04, 12:05 PM
If you overtighten a side terminal the connector acts like a wheel puller tool and pulls the terminal away from the battery's case and stresses the plastic case but on a top terminal battery if you overtighten you'll only distort the terminal connector and not put any additional forces on the battery's case. I would still go with an AGM or Optima just to be extra safe.

I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery in my '02 Z06. It was WAY overtight from the factory. It was a chore to get it loose and not damage the bolt.

Pegasus
03-05-04, 04:15 PM
Just remember that the Optima has side terminals as well, and the advice about not overtightening still applies to those puppies too. :)

Robert

jz7p6t
07-15-05, 07:07 PM
TO: 99WhiteC5Coupe
Where was the battery leaking acid from? I've driven off-road with trucks (GM) under the most severe conditions you can imagine in the desert (125F) and never had a battery leak. But I've been checking our '99 C5 repeatedly and no signs of leakage. The only battery leakage problem I've heard of has been on C5's. But I cannot find out where or why.

TO: BlueCoupe
Do you know of anyone who has been able to buy a working Delco AGM battery? I bought one from local dealer and it wasn't any good, got a 2nd one from dealer and it is no good either. Dealer says Delco no longer is making the AGM version, so I'll probably end up with an Optima.

Pegasus
07-15-05, 09:40 PM
Where was the battery leaking acid from? I've driven off-road with trucks (GM) under the most severe conditions you can imagine in the desert (125F) and never had a battery leak. But I've been checking our '99 C5 repeatedly and no signs of leakage. The only battery leakage problem I've heard of has been on C5's. But I cannot find out where or why.

Do you know of anyone who has been able to buy a working Delco AGM battery? I bought one from local dealer and it wasn't any good, got a 2nd one from dealer and it is no good either. Dealer says Delco no longer is making the AGM version, so I'll probably end up with an Optima.

The majority of the complaints regarding the battery leaks (including mine) indicate that the leak was from the positive post area. Most of the time the leak is so slow, that a cursory inspection can easily miss it, especially with the battery insulator still in place. If in doubt at all, remove the battery to see if there are any signs of leakage. If there are, the battery should be replaced at once. As a follow-up, remove the battery tray (clean it) and also remove the inspection panel at the rear of the R/F wheelwell to inspect the PCM and TAC modules that are directly underneath the battery. Any signs of acid leakage should be treated agressively with a water/baking soda solution in the entire area.
I chose to mix up a 2qt bowl of water and about 1/4 box of baking soda and pour it all over the affected area, followed by several more bowls full of fresh water. All the connectors and wire harnesses are waterproof so the moisture won't hurt anything. I caught mine at an early stage so there was no damage to the harnesses or the nylon vacuum lines that are also present in the area. Battery acid will attack the nylon vacuum lines as well as anything else in the area, so I would advise checking them closely. HTH

bluecoupe
07-16-05, 04:17 AM

Delco doesn't make then now. There are other gel types out there. Interstate/Optima, Exide Orbital, Advanced American Technologies (www.batterymart.com (http://www.batterymart.com)) also http://www.harrisbattery.com/automotive.aspx

jrose7004
07-16-05, 09:08 AM
I don't have foam around mine!

Mr. Lucky
07-16-05, 09:38 AM
NEVER HAVE SEEN THAT..............oops sorry , caps...........Is that like the person who writes on a birthday card...
I was going to send money, but had already sealed the envelope.

:confused ;LOL

P.S. No foam on my '04 OEM battery.