PDA

View Full Version : Stock or Not?

97RedCorvette
02-28-04, 08:03 PM
How do you feel about customizing your Corvette? Some want to personalize, while others strive to keep everything stock. Where do you come down? Keep it Stock - Keep it Mild - Go Wild!

EB2003
02-28-04, 08:27 PM
I definitely believe in mild to moderate modding. The car is great out of the box, but it can be made to perform, handle and brake, even better than it already does.

olVetteGuy
02-28-04, 08:46 PM
I like my Corvette's unmolested -- You hear that Michael Jackson! Those NCRS guys got some expensive rollers and they're all stock. Plus, they go for TOP dollar.

Pac-man
02-28-04, 10:25 PM
The Corvette unfortunately is subject to strict production vehicle standards, EPA etc. So out of the box it can't breathe or exhale. So at the very least you should do a cold air intake of some variation and add a good after market exhaust. That's good for at least 20-25 Ponies for very little $. But if you would prefer that some Govt. agency tell you how your SPORTS car should breathe and sound, then leave it stock. It is a sports car, right. I'd prefer to realize the true potential of the Corvette. And by the way, the C5-R is a vasty different animal than the Vettes we drive everyday.

01TriBlack
02-28-04, 11:28 PM
I think it depends on how you use, or intend to use, your 'vette. I don't have any intentions of racing my 'vette; therefore, to go hog wild on radical mods is pointless. That's not the same to say, though, that I don't enjoy seeing what "he" can do on occasion. :D I can understand why some people do mod their cars to the hilt... and I understand why some don't. I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other. It's all in how you envision utilizing the vehicle YOU own... it's a personal thang.

cavettefan
02-29-04, 01:38 AM
My vote was to open it up - nothing too radical (no Supercharger or Nitrous Oxide); but definitely improve the efficiency. A lot can be done and still meet emission requirements without breaking the bank.

TSabr88
02-29-04, 01:47 AM
on a Vette the only things i would have are the bottom ends built to take the power and then lightly mod the top end for a few more ponies but not to the extreme of having too much however on my car a 1988 Buick LeSabre T-Type i wouldn't mind going all out because the power gains aren't all that much due to not many radical parts out there for it

ZZRider
02-29-04, 10:17 PM
I'm on the radical or wild side of the fence. :_rock

I've done about all to my 99 vette at one time or another (stroker, N20, supercharger, etc). I live for the performance. While I like it to look nice, that's not my priority nor where my mod money goes.

I respect everyones choices too. Like 01TriBlack mentioned, this is just what I happen to enjoy the most. The only investment my vette represents for me is in sheer pleasure and enjoyment. For me, that's taking it to the edge of extreme.

As far as monitary investment, I doubt I could get out 1/4 of the money I spent on mods. This is likely true for most aggressive performance mods. If your desire is as a financial investment, then I'd keep it stock or readily reverted to stock.

cavettefan
02-29-04, 10:52 PM
I doubt that I would recommend any car as an investment - they are mostly depreciating assets. Especially if you plan on driving it. The best way to look at Corvette ownership is as a hobby - put as much into it as you can afford to lose. It is highly unlikely that you will get it back in a sale. If you are looking for a return on investment, there are many alternatives that have been proven to appreciate in value.

ZZRider
03-01-04, 09:13 PM
:duh "...monitary..."

Dang, after re-reading my posts from yesterday, I think I should invest in spelling lessons or a spellchecker. I definitely need typing lessons while I'm at it. Sorry all.

ZZ

bluecoupe
03-01-04, 10:46 PM
Customize! Stock is just the starting point.

http://images.traderonline.com/img/10/plcnad/3357632/56628486_1.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com/img/dealer/parkplace/5276_1.jpg

http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/505/35890/00377744404.jpg