PDA

View Full Version : site on fiberglass repair?

corvette66
01-26-04, 05:46 PM
Does anyone know of any good sites that will walk you through the repair process for fiberglass? stress cracks, holes, missing pieces, etc.

or any good sites on painting fiberglass

thanx dan

CHEV66JB
01-26-04, 06:03 PM
I also would like to know- As I plan to have all of the above... :( Thanks!

Jim

johnd
01-26-04, 06:33 PM
I do not know of anything for repair, but I do autobody for a living and I have restored a couple of older vets let me know what you got and I can lead you in the right direction, it is rather easy, just looks daunting, oh and do not forget to wear rubber gloves and long sleeve shirts...

John Dykstra

corvette66
01-26-04, 09:46 PM
well what i have is some minor body repair need'n done.

I have stress cracks in the rear 1/4 panel.

The corner of the hood (by the driverside latch) is broke off, it went up into the roof of my car port when i jacked it up one day. forgot that the hood was up.

I have a hole in the driverside door. about 3" across. it was filled with putty, but is starting to crack and get loose.

So i have 320 and 600 sand paper. What is the best filler compound to use for the cracks and what not? thanx a bunch

firstgear
04-25-04, 09:17 PM
what did you do for fixing your problem areas? My 60 has a cracked fender....and some areas where the previous repairs can be seen...what did you do?

johnd
04-25-04, 10:39 PM
what did you do for fixing your problem areas? My 60 has a cracked fender....and some areas where the previous repairs can be seen...what did you do?
the reason that they are showing now is because the fiberglass shrinks and exands much more then metal and the fillers are designed mainly for metal...what you need/needed to do was fill it manily in with a good quality SMC filler then just a very small skim coat of a polyester glazing putty otherwise the repair area will show...

John D.

Rob
04-26-04, 06:53 AM
You may want to check here in our Knowledgebase at a couple of the articles we have:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/