PDA

View Full Version : Quad carb

Feltman
12-13-03, 08:22 AM
http://www.chicagocorvette.com/

Are these folks out of business. Looking for a good place to send my original Quad carb for rebuild...any suggestions?

81 in the air for front, rear and exhaust upgrade/replacement/cleaning and anything else I feel needs done..only problem is everytime I remove a part..$$ are in my eyes...but hell that is what it is all about...Happy Holidays!!:s :cool

texancanuc
12-13-03, 03:01 PM
im not sure if they are in business but it may be cheaper to replace the quad then rebuild it.... unless its a show car and you need the original carb
holley and edelbrock make up to date, state of the art replacements for the q-jet
happy cruisin

MidShark
12-14-03, 09:33 AM
Can you find someone locally who KNOWS the 4ME carb? I found a guy in the local Vette club (who is a mechanic) that rebuilt mine, and the car now runs great. (Was inexpensive, too!) Otherwise, there are a couple of rebuilding shops that specialize in Q-jets that I've seen mentioned here before- maybe someone else will jump in with the names of the shops.

Dick

SteveV
12-14-03, 10:25 AM
Give Jim a call at Allstate Carburetor &
Fuel Injection Inc. (631-234-8327)
They are located at :
143 Brightside Ave.
Central Islip NY 11722
(www.allcarbs.com)

They restored my Quad carb. on my 69
vette. I was very pleased with the job.

Good Luck!

DDLS3
12-17-03, 06:39 PM
stingray6974 is a moderator on this forum, he rebuilds carbs and does an excellent job I understand. Drop him an email or PM, the price is fair as well.

pauld
12-26-03, 05:03 PM
I was thinking of rebuilding my quadrajet using a rebuild kit, who has experiance of doing this??

Willis76
12-26-03, 05:12 PM
Here's another ... http://www.recarbco.com/

I have no experience with them, but they have been recommended in the past. Good Luck

:Steer

LannyL81
12-26-03, 10:14 PM
Hello,
Rebuild kits cost about $25, plus another $10 for a brass float. Takes a few special tools to set the M/C solenoid travel, a small scale that fits down the hole where the idle air bleed adjust screw goes. And a dwell meter.
The Shop Manual shows all the steps to do. Some of them I could not do as I did not have the tools.

I put a kit in my carb...takes about two hours to do. Car ran good for a short time but something has changed and will no longer run after the choke goes off.

I do not know what has gone wrong.. have rechecked everything, redone everything and still has a problem. So I too am looking for someone to fix this carb or I need to replace it. Call to my local carb shop and found out that its' $400 to re-man the carb. Same price as buying a re-man through Eckler's.

I'll be checking out allcarbs.com...hopefully they are cheaper than $400!!

Thanks,
LannyL81

GerryLP
12-27-03, 06:59 PM
Lanny,

Be careful with some of those carb rebuild services. Some of them will exchange the carb and give you one that looks the same except that the part number is for an oldsmobile or impala or camaro. :(

I understand that Mike (Stingray6974) rebuilt the carb for someone here at the L81 registry also, and with him, you'll get the same one back. Maybe he'll chime in and let you know if he can (time wise).

glaso81
01-10-04, 01:07 AM
Hello if you haven't had any luck yet try B & R Automotive in Phoenix at 602-272 6484 they rebuilt mine for $210.00 and not only did my car pass the tough AZ emmisions it never ran better! Even after 2 other hacks messed with it and a big cam and high compression were added upon rebuilding the engine.

Vader
01-19-04, 01:08 AM
I was thinking of rebuilding my quadrajet using a rebuild kit, who has experiance of doing this??

Cake. Very simple and straightforward, and no real tricks like on the ThermoQuads.

One thing to watch is leakage from the lower main well plugs. It's also a good time to check wear in teh throttle shaft and align the plates.

About the only special things you'll need on an E4ME are teh 2mm and 4mm double "D" adjusting tools for the TPS and MC solenoid stops. The rest is a walk in the park as long as you are patient.

paintdaddy
01-19-04, 01:17 AM
http://www.chicagocorvette.com/

Are these folks out of business. Looking for a good place to send my original Quad carb for rebuild...any suggestions?

81 in the air for front, rear and exhaust upgrade/replacement/cleaning and anything else I feel needs done..only problem is everytime I remove a part..$$ are in my eyes...but hell that is what it is all about...Happy Holidays!!:s :coolNope they are not out of business.They just rebuilt a pair of headlight motors ,a 442 carb and Im purchasing another carb from them.The guy is on ebay alot and goes by Mztercarb.Heres some carbs he has listed now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33550&item=2454636976#ebayphotohosting